News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Søren Rye

London Calling
« on: April 05, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
Planning a golfing trip to London on June 15-18.

We have Wednesday (Swinley Forest), Thursday (Sunningdale Old and New), and Friday (Hankley Common and St. George's Hill) covered.

Saturday, however, is quite a pickle, as they say. Not being a member has turned out to be showstopper for a weekend round at all the clubs we have contacted so far.

Can anyone point us in the direction of where we can land an interesting morning round Saturday before flying back in the afternoon?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Dai

Re: London Calling
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
June 15-18 has close to the longest daylight hours. Suggest you think about evening/twilight games and arn't overly ambitious in where you expect/wish to be able to play. There are dozens of Doak 4-5-6's courses where good golf can be played. Good luck!
Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »
June 15-18 has close to the longest daylight hours. Suggest you think about evening/twilight games and arn't overly ambitious in where you expect/wish to be able to play. There are dozens of Doak 4-5-6's courses where good golf can be played. Good luck!
Atb

Thomas - he said Saturday _morning_ before flying home in the afternoon.

Sven, I think you are going to struggle. Saturday morning, naturally, is prime time at every club. The best I can suggest is that you try the Grove, which doesn't have members. Close to Heathrow too
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
Try Huntercombe.  Its a bit out of the way, but you can make up time playing in 2balls.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:41:31 PM »
The Addington.... It's a no brainer!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »
Have you contacted Walton Heath?   With two courses it's possible they could slip in some visitors on an early Saturday morning. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »
If you were visiting Manchester I could direct you to a couple of predominantly Jewish golf clubs who could accommodate you on a Saturday morning as they play their club competitions on Sundays.

I've had a quick Google to try and find something similar in the London area but without success.

Sorry.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:50:48 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »
Soren & Duncan -

I could be totally mistaken, but I have a vague recollection (circa 1985) that Coombe Hill GC, near Wimbledon, is or was a mostly Jewish club. Designed by JF Abercromby.

I have no idea what visitor access is like there on Saturday mornings.

http://www.coombehillgolfclub.com/

It certainly would not hurt to check.

DT
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:12:37 PM by David_Tepper »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 02:42:16 AM »
The Addington is members only until noon.

To be honest unless member of a club reaches out to you Adam is right with The Grove.
Cave Nil Vino

Ed Tilley

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 04:21:25 AM »
Are you flying from Heathrow? Huntercombe would likely be the best bet if you are as they'll probably take visitors, albeit as 2 balls, and it is only 30 - 40 minutes from the airport.

If you wanted to go slightly further afield you could try Woburn. It is an hour from Heathrow and you may have to stay there on the Friday night but there are 3 courses so you'll get on. It will probably be a bit pricey - but no more so than the others you're playing!

Marc Haring

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »
Stoke Park (Colt) formerly Stoke Poges will do it at the weekend and it's close to Heathrow but very, very expensive. £230  :o  Nice experience with all the Goldfinger James Bond connection though.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:51 AM »
Stoke Park (Colt) formerly Stoke Poges will do it at the weekend and it's close to Heathrow but very, very expensive. £230  :o  Nice experience with all the Goldfinger James Bond connection though.
Wow! £230 for Stoke Park!  It's a decent track and nice history but £230?  That's absurd money.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
Mark I couldn't agree more, I'd struggle to justify more than £80 to play Stoke Park. Of course it has a little history but it isn't a great golf course.
Cave Nil Vino

Jason Kang

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »

Agreed, tough ask.  You've got a great itinerary already, what about going out for a big one on Friday night in London and rehashing the trip over some kummel, then sleeping in and getting a proper breakfast before leaving for Heathrow.   

The Addington is members only until noon.

To be honest unless member of a club reaches out to you Adam is right with The Grove.

Sam Krume

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »
With regards to a couple of mentions on here. Last time I spoke to The Add (approx 4 weeks ago) they had 4 temporary greens as they were carrying out a lot of work this winter and I also believe that Stoke Park are in the process of redoing all bunkers across all 3 nines. 1 nine will definitely be closed, not sure which one though.

Chris Macios

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »
How about Royal Ashdown? Not sure of their Saturday policy but I played this past Sunday at 10am without issue. Maybe farther than you want to go but the course is absolutely worth a visit.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 03:12:10 AM »
The curry house in The Curry by Waterloo station does Kümmel, it's rare to find it outside decent golf clubs.

I really think you should forget hoping to find a private club that takes visitors before 10am on a Saturday. If you do, don't pay in advance as they are in serious financial trouble!
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 05:57:57 AM »
If you've given up on privates.

Very close to Heathrow, but not under flight paths,  an RTJ course that is a pay & play.
http://www.stockleyparkgolf.co.uk/

With the following proviso's
- I haven't been for several years so this may all be out of date.
- somehow they've squeezed a range between  9 & 18!
- for that green fee don't expect a miracle on maintenance, but it's always been acceptable and  excellent VFM
- will be slower than the other palaces you're playing.
- do you want to play an RTJ as a 'busman's' holiday?
-there are a couple of really awkward walks.

Once you know the above it's really good, excellent greens and variety of holes and I look forward to playing it again.

Enjoy your trip.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Søren Rye

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 09:15:28 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and suggestions. A couple of leads have come up via pm's, so we will hopefully get something interesting in the books for Saturday.

Sam Krume

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »
I visited Stockley last summer and unfortunately the condition was quite poor. Some fairways with cracks running down the middle. Some greens burnt out some not. Was looking forward to playing but I will not be going back soon. Royal Ashdown is a great shout though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back