News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Oh great. Another question about par 3's
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
I won't start with any of the "greatest" type of comments, but what par 3(s) do you enjoy that are doable in a manner that doesn't require the precise, fly it where you want it shot? In other words, more flexibility than Kingsley #2 or ANGC #16...

I'd say Kingsley #5 to get things started.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tim Fitz

Re: Oh great. Another question about par 3's
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
This thread seems tailor made for the McRaynor fans to extol the virtues of many of their magical par threes.  Falling into this category myself, I could nominate any number of Redans or Biarritzs, each of which welcome (or in some cases require) that the ball not be flown to precisely to where you want it to end up.

As a Chicagoan, I'll nominate Number 6 at Shoreacres (Biarritz), which allows for the multiple methods of reaching the back portion of the HUGE green - the most fun of which is watching the low running shot disappear into the swale, hoping it reappears on the intended line for the hole.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »
15 NBWL, 13 HCEG, 11 TOC, 5 Prestwick, 3 Elie all, to a greater or lesser extent and depending on wind require the ball to be landed short of the final desired position and run on.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
Oakmont #8
Streamsong Red #16
Kingsley #16
The Dell
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse, Joe, because you've read about my fondness for the Par 3s at Crystal Downs many times already. But I think the 9th there is a perfect example of a 'nothing' hole that in fact has 'everything'.
Peter

Richard Fisher

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
Porthcawl 11th, rightly described by Tom Simpson as 'a superb hole', with a number of different ways to play it, especially with the flag towards the back of the green.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 02:32:33 PM »
15th at Cruden Bay.

Some don't care for the hole, some like me do.

Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »
For a long 3 I really like 16 Montrose.

Same for Burnside's 14th.

For a short 3 Kington's 5th is an great example not hitting it where the flag is. 

I really like short holes over dull ground which are subtle and yet leave any shot in the bag up to you...Formby Ladies 3rd.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bob Montle

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »
The first three par threes at Fraserburgh
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

BCowan

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »
Inverness #6
Olcc #7
Battle Creek #16
Franklin Hills #14
Sylvania cc #14

Ps- Joe, I don't fly it into #2 at Kingsley, I go for just in front and try a hop to the front.  1/4 Agassi shot..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:18:18 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
There are not many par-3's I've chosen to diagram for The Confidential Guide (so far), precisely because most par-3's just ask you to aim at the hole.

The two best examples of something different that I can think of right this minute are #6 at West Sussex [where many people lay up and play it as a dogleg], and #9 at Jasper Park [where you can try to land the ball fifty yards short of the green, and have it run down there off a small mound].

Josh Stevens

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
Where do we classify blind par 3s, such as the 14th at Hunstanton. 

Certainly not target golf especially for the first time player

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 07:11:01 AM »
There are not many par-3's I've chosen to diagram for The Confidential Guide (so far), precisely because most par-3's just ask you to aim at the hole.

The two best examples of something different that I can think of right this minute are #6 at West Sussex [where many people lay up and play it as a dogleg], and #9 at Jasper Park [where you can try to land the ball fifty yards short of the green, and have it run down there off a small mound].

You could have done a very cool diagram for Sacred 9's 5th...something different with the rouring showcased and a zoom in on #5.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back