News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Re: Colt & Alison
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »
Sure looks like it.  Even GCGC reference. Pretty sweet.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »
Colt & Alison (Alison) listed Plum Hollow as one of their designs in 1924, but did not list it later, which tells me either the plan was not executed properly, or the club chose to go another direction. I suspect the former. In 1924 C&A (Alison) also listed Philadelphia CC and there is evidence they were the architect of record at one point, but then Toomey & Flynn became involved.

Early in his career Flynn was known more for his construction skills than his designs, and Alison offered to make him his construction associate. Flynn was involved at Burning Tree, and I believe Chevy Chase, with Alison. I suspect there may have been a similar situation with Connelan, who had a similar background to Flynn's. I have found evidence Alison was involved at Lochmoor with Connelan, but C&A did not list that course for whatever reason, and after seeing that course I think I know the reason. It must have been a dog eat dog world back then.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:10:19 AM by Tom MacWood »

Niall Hay

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 12:25:55 AM »
Well said Tom.

DMoriarty

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2011, 12:54:29 AM »
The 18th hole was a 185-yard par-3 with an island green surrounded by sand?

In 1915??

I've also seen the hole listed as 135 yards, but perhaps that was a misprint.   185 yards was a pretty good iron shot into the wind though.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 05:41:15 AM »
This is the routing for the CC of Detroit in 1915, courtesy of the NY Sun:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 06:16:31 AM »
A picture of the 18th green from the CC of Detroit in 1915 (courtesy of the Aug 22, 1915 edition of the NY Tribune):

Niall Hay

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Joe, these are unreal. How did you find these? Great stuff.

Niall Hay

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
Also where was CCD considered in the great courses back in 1915? Seems pretty solid standing with this kind of coverage in national media. More limited options/quantity back then but would be interesting to see how CCD stacked up to it's peers in that era.

Niall Hay

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
Colt made three trips to N. America - 1911, 1913 and 1914. He produced five original designs: Toronto, CC of Detroit (NLE), Pine Valley, Old Elm and Hamilton. He also redesigned about ten course, give or take one or two. Alison came over around 1920 and was very active for almost decade. He designed close to 25 original golf courses in the States and Canada. The great majority of Colt & Alison courses over here are Alison's.

What about Fresh Meadows in NY?

SL_Solow

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
As noted in my prior post, Fresh Meadows was originally called Lakeview.  It appears to be an Alison circa 1925, well after Colt's final visit.

Niall Hay

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
Ah, ok you're right.  Good catch.   How is that golf course? Recently had some renovation work by Keith Foster. Any insight there?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »
Joe, these are unreal. How did you find these? Great stuff.

The first is courtesy of the Fulton History site, the 2nd from the Chronicling America web page.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »
Colt & Co. Fred Hawtree's biography of Colt has a listing of all the courses purportedly designed by the various Colt associations including Colt, Alison, MacKenzie, and Morrison.  He had access to Colt's correspondence which may have aided his listing.

His list for Alison is slightly different than Wayne's.  for example, he shows Bob o"Link as a revision in 1924 to ross' original.  This comports with the club's view.  Interestingly, he omits Plum Hollow although I know some informed members who insiist it is an Allison.  Coenish and Whitten  credit it to Wilfred Reid and William Conellan.  Lakeville is now Fresh Meadow. There are several that Hawtree lists as NLE and others that are on his list that I knw no longer exist e.g. Deerfield,Il and Knollmead in Lake Forest IL.

Neither source lists Lost Nation or St. Andrews Bay.  Sea Island appears to be an amalgam where he revised a 9 (Plantation) and adde the Seaside 9 in 1928.

SL
Most of the course information in Colt & Co. comes from Cornish & Whitten, and it is somewhat incomplete. My info comes from Colt & Alison's own pamphlets, supplemented by later reports in magazines and newspapers. I believe Deerfield and Knollmead, on Hawtree's list, are mistakes.

Technically Bob O'Link is a redesign of an older course, but since it was a total redesign (he only kept one or two holes from the original) I consider it a new course. After Alison was done with the course Ross did not list as one of his either.

I've marked the ones that are NLE or changed names. I'm not sure what Timber Point goes by these days, and it is partially NLE. The same goes for Sea Island being partially NLE, it was overhauled by T. Fazio. I forgot to add Davenport on my original list.

York Downs (NLE), Kirtland, Burning Tree, Briargate (IL), Westwood, Lakeville nka Fresh Meadow (NY), Plum Hollow, Century, Canoe Brook, Bob O'Link, North Shore, Timber Point, Knollwood, St. Andrews Bay nka Panama, Orchard Lake, CC of Detroit, Colony (NLE), Lost Nation, Old Oaks, Baederwood (NLE), Park, Sea Island, Milwaukee, Davenport.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »
Wow. This historical info. on the original CC Detroit course is fascinating. Thanks for posting it, guys. I wonder what lead to moving the course to its current, new location?
jeffmingay.com

Niall Hay

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
Great question, it sure seems a shame to leave behind a supposedly really good top great Colt design on the water to a course more inland/parkland. Anyone have any more insight?

BCowan

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Very good thread in need of bumping.  The original CCD looked awesome. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back