News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Ogle

Anyone here been to Shanqin Bay?
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm heading to Hong Kong at the end of the month, and was thinking of making a little side trip to try and play Shanqin Bay.

Has anyone played it?

I've got a rough idea of where it is, but can't even find an address for it.

I know it's private, but it is like Hirono private, or a little more accessible?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Sean

Alex Miller

Ryan Farrow

Re: Anyone here been to Shanqin Bay?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »
I have, lived on the Island for 5 years. It is very private and access is very tight, even if you are in the know.

Here is the Address:
 [size=78%]https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shanqinwan+Golf+Course/@19.0522654,110.5603423,1632m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x7f12976821e492fb[/size]

If you are on the Island you need to check out The Dunes at Shenzhou and  the 10 Course Mission Hills Haikou complex.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:09:29 PM »
I have been there.  It's two degrees MORE private than Hirono.  Hirono has a couple hundred members who could sponsor you; Shanquin Bay has 20.  You really have to go through the g.m., and if you can't do anything for them, they're not going to do anything for you.  It is a beautiful course, but it exists only for VIP's.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »
It's at about 3 o'clock on the dial, but you're almost certainly (but not definitely; little in China is definite) too late to get a visa, which you'd need as Hainan is not a SAR like Macao or HK.

Try Fanling (HKGC) or Clearwater Bay if you must. Personally I'd sooner hit the dim sum, catch an HK movie or two, get a suit made, and enjoy the nightlife.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sean Ogle

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone!

@Ryan, thanks for the address!

@Tom, Had no idea it was that private. I'll try and contact the GM. I've had pretty good luck contacting most courses I'm looking for access to through my website. Total long shot here, but worth a shot at least.

@Mark, Yeah thats usually the exact itinerary. Never golfed in the region though, so figured I might try and at least get a round or two in. As far as visa, I believe Hainan is unique to China in that you can get a visa on arrival: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297423-c116639/Hainan:China:Visa.Information.html
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:21:25 PM by Sean Ogle »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »
Sean:  be sure to come back and post how your request is received ... if you get a response at all.

Sean Ogle

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:26:17 PM »
Tom, absolutely will let you guys know.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 11:42:54 PM »
Nothing different to add....If you can get to play, definitely all its cracked up to be.

I was there, working on my project up the road.  I had contacts, knew the GM, and it took him two days to agree to let us tour the place, much less play.  And the tour had to be quick!  He stressed how private they liked to keep the place.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:49:59 AM »
The place is amazing, even on a gray "Hainan Fog" day as we saw it.  The usage of the historical elements was a highlight, in addition to the setting.  Never lucky enough to play though in 2+ years of being there, despite being good friends with the superintendent.  It's exclusive. 
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Rick Emerson

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:57:01 AM »
I have been living in China for two years and have been traveling and blogging about golf in China. I have tried every person I know, people who are raters have asked if I could accompany them, someone from C&C even asked on my behalf and still I have gotten nowhere. I was offered a tour of the property without playing and I should have taken it. I chose to spend the day with my wife instead. If you get on please tell me how you pulled it off.

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Man, I would just sneak on…with nobody out there and thick vegetation to duck into should someone come whistling by, I figure in the early morning hours, if the irrigation is quiet, or during the lunch hours, when the island's asleep; one could walk along the beach wearing sandals and carrying a sunday bag, slip up the dune and play the 17th from the start of the fairway, then from there go to 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and your back to the beach. If all is going well and the putts are falling, you could play 9, 10, 11 and 12 bring you near the offices and the goon shacks occupied by sleeping guards, so skip over to 13, 14, by 15 and 16 you'll be near the clubhouse and her windows, so, I say after holing out on 14, hop the wall behind the green and follow the dirt road back down to the sea, where you'll run into a small wharf of diesel dingies run by shirtless fishermen. From there, charter one of the boats to take you back to Boao town, where a cheap beer and a rich story will be waiting….

But honestly, one could walk along the beach and play 17, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and be gone, no problem, just remember to fix your pitch marks and replace your divots.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
I have a hat.
Mr Hurricane

Sean Ogle

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »
@Quinn I like the way you think haha.

For anyone interested, I did receive a very polite reply back from them GM letting me know there was no outside play, and making a couple other recommendations to facilities worth visiting.

Now. Who here knows a Chinese billionaire?

JMEvensky

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »

Now. Who here knows a Chinese billionaire?

There's a Panamanian law firm that could probably hook you up.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
Looks like a pretty nice location....surrounded by water on two sides.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »
Kalen,

You're better than that. Surround by two sides isn't surrounded at all.

But it would've been a funny line in an old "Police Squad"/ "Naked Gun" episode with the late, great Leslie Nielson.

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
Kalen,

You're better than that. Surround by two sides isn't surrounded at all.

But it would've been a funny line in an old "Police Squad"/ "Naked Gun" episode with the late, great Leslie Nielson.

;D

Sheez...fine...cornered then   ;D

Unless they got some of these...

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 10:31:11 PM »
Man, I would just sneak on… I say after holing out on 14, hop the wall behind the green and follow the dirt road back down to the sea, where you'll run into a small wharf of diesel dingies run by shirtless fishermen. From there, charter one of the boats to take you back to Boao town, where a cheap beer and a rich story will be waiting….

I miss Tsingtao bottles for 6rmb!... The shirtless fisherman, not so much! 

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 10:37:08 PM »
Man, I would just sneak on…with nobody out there and thick vegetation to duck into should someone come whistling by, I figure in the early morning hours, if the irrigation is quiet, or during the lunch hours, when the island's asleep; one could walk along the beach wearing sandals and carrying a sunday bag, slip up the dune and play the 17th from the start of the fairway, then from there go to 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and your back to the beach. If all is going well and the putts are falling, you could play 9, 10, 11 and 12 bring you near the offices and the goon shacks occupied by sleeping guards, so skip over to 13, 14, by 15 and 16 you'll be near the clubhouse and her windows, so, I say after holing out on 14, hop the wall behind the green and follow the dirt road back down to the sea, where you'll run into a small wharf of diesel dingies run by shirtless fishermen. From there, charter one of the boats to take you back to Boao town, where a cheap beer and a rich story will be waiting….

But honestly, one could walk along the beach and play 17, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and be gone, no problem, just remember to fix your pitch marks and replace your divots.

Maybe carry a few packs of quality cigarettes or some loose bills and you can most certainly get through the security guards and finish all 18. Never underestimate the power of a good bribe in China.  Just sayin'

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 08:57:09 AM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:26:42 AM by Jaeger Kovich »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »

The club has 25 security guards that live with the other employees on site in dorms that guard the ocean holes & the perimeter, it's gonna take more than a few yuan to finish all 18 holes.
How about a few bottles of Moutai?

Brad Klein

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Built on an old military outpost and basically run like one in terms of access, until you get on. Six hour golf, thanks to two endless lunches half way on each nine. Really beautiful, intense land, with beachfront holes, then hill top outlooks, and a very intense mix of long/short holes with just about nothing in between.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
Has anyone here noticed that the ONLY people to have seen this course are either (a) guys who worked on the construction of it, or (b) panelists or heads of panels?

JMEvensky

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »

Has anyone here noticed that the ONLY people to have seen this course are either (a) guys who worked on the construction of it, or (b) panelists or heads of panels?

Probably just a coincidence.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back