News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

Little Mention Of Shaker Heights?? (Cleveland, OH) New
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »
I was thinking about some of the courses I'd love to get back to this season that are hidden gems and little discussed and the first one that came to mind was Shaker Heights in Cleveland, Ohio. I wonder why it gets such little love on here or even in the national rankings? In my view, the course is fantastic and must be among the best courses built on a small property (the course sits on either 95 or 110 acres, can't remember which).

The property is quite good with nice movement and a valley on the back. It has a strong set of par-3s, including the wonderful short 16th, and a real old style, classic feel. There's a bunch of strong holes from start to finish and though it's been a few years since my visit, I really can't remember any bad holes. Having played many of the other handful of great courses in the Cleveland area, I would place it among the best of them and don't understand why Shaker wouldn't fall within, at least, the next 100 in Golfweek's Classic Course rankings, for example.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:05:54 PM by Frank M »

BCowan

Re: Little Mention Of Shaker Heights?? (Cleveland, OH)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
Frank,

Thanks for posting. I've heard from others that shaker is a gem

Frank M

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
Hey Ben,

No problem. I think it's a course that needs more in-depth discussion on here. It really is a gem. I think the main reason there's little fanfare about the place is because people tend to play at some of the other, I guess, "big name" courses in the area. If more people would get out to see Shaker Heights I'm confident it would elevate in reputation.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:10:20 PM »
Frank,

Unfortunately, I have never played or seen Shaker Heights, but I have had an association with Cleveland for more than 35 years and quite a few times heard people say very good things about the course.

Tough neighborhood. Hard to stand out with Canterbury, Country, Pepper Pike, Mayfield, etc., basically right around the corner. Kind of Westchester County like.
Tim Weiman

Frank M

Re: Little Mention Of Shaker Heights?? (Cleveland, OH) New
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:11:53 PM »
Tim, I share your feelings. Because of the area it makes it tough. But people should really give it a go.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:06:36 PM by Frank M »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 06:52:29 AM »
When someone says "it's a classic Donald Ross course" I think of Shaker. It's rolling hills are just the right balance of uneven lies, unique bounces and speed slots the need to think through club selections but it's an easy course to walk. Undulating greens and great conditioning and few places to lose a ball. The few holes across the road (14-15?) are a little meh but it's an easy course to like - a lot.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
I attended Shaker Heights High School and played one year on the golf team (at the very farthest end of the bench).  Shaker CC was our home course.  That was 35+ years ago and i wasn't yet a GCA aficionado, but I recall that it was a good test, yet very fair.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
I agree with this, Frank.  I've referenced Shaker a few times on different threads (the 16th on best short par 3s) because I think it has a lot going for it.  The front nine is good, but I believe the back nine is fantastic and really makes the course stand out.  It was my home course for a season in college, so I would guess I've played about 75 rounds there and I still don't know how to play the 10th hole.

The 10th is a driveable par 4 that plays down a valley and then back up the hill to the green.  It's a tight tee shot with a green fronted by bunkers.  On days I was confident I could carry the traps, it seems like the play.  When played with a layup off the tee, it is a tough wedge shot to get close since it's usually less than 100 yards and plays uphill to a very steep green, which fits the short hole.

The 11th is a good par 3 that plays about 160 and is slightly downhill with a drop off and creek on the left side of the green.  I always found club selection very difficult here.  The hole plays down hill, but long is dead, making it very tough to strike a balance between keeping it short of the hole and taking into account the elevation drop.

The 12th is probably my favorite hole on the course.  The tee shot is semi-blind up to a plateau where most balls end up.  From there the fairway cants to the left and crosses a creek to the the green.  This description is sorely lacking and does not do justice to the great look a player has to the green from a perfect tee shot on top of the hill.
Thirteen is probably the toughest par 4 on the course, it's long and a creek runs adjacent to the fairway at the corner of this dog leg right. The hole runs along the boundary of the property, so missing right is not an option.  It's one of those holes that forces a player to hit a good shot with out much room for a bailout.  Even then, it's still a long iron or hybrid into the green.

The 14th and 15th are across a road, both are solid holes, but nothing stands out as remarkable in my opinion.  When you cross the road again you get to the fantastic par 3 16th which Frank called out in the opening post.  It's no more than a wedge for most players and they can only see the flag from the tee.  Missing left is usually a lost ball as any approach not on the green rolls down a large hill to the creek.

The 17th is a medium length par 4 that has a relatively nondescript tee shot, but the toughest green on the course.  The entire green slopes so sharply from right to left that it seemed excessive at times.   Any ball than enters the green on the ground ends up off the left side in the rough.  If a lofted or cut shot lands softly enough, the ball can be kept close to a pin, but it requires a very solidly hit shot.

Eighteen is a par 4 dog leg left that plays down hill to a creek and then back up to a green on the top on the hill.  On a summer day, driver can be too much club and I've seen balls roll out 100 yards into the creek when players thought he hit a perfect shot.  Obviously Ross had no idea drives would be going 300 yards, but it's a shame the last tee shot of the days in a controlled lay up in some cases for the long players.  That being said, the majority of drives end up on the down slope and a player is forced to attack an elevated green off of a downhill lie.  It can be tricky to navigate, but the ground flattens out 20 or 30 yards short of the green so a player has a chance to run the ball on to the green with a flatter trajectory shot.

I could play the back nine every day and enjoy it because of the variety of shots a player is forced to hit.  Hopefully someone will have some pictures that better capture the essence of an underrated course than my descriptions. I don't think it's as good as Canterbury or Kirtland, which are the best known Cleveland privates, but it can hold it's own against the rest.

Frank M

Re: Little Mention Of Shaker Heights?? (Cleveland, OH) New
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
Joe -

Some good descriptions of the back nine at Shaker! I wish I had brought my camera the day I visited. I always do, but that was the one time I forgot it at home. Hopefully I can get back out some other time to snap some photos.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:07:03 PM by Frank M »

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:47:10 PM »
Shaker Heights is a solid golf course, with a handful of really good holes.

The long par 4 seventh (plays as a par 5 from white tees) is excellent, playing downhill off the tee before the approach slightly back uphill into a large, 3-tiered green. I think it's the best hole on the course. For whatever reason, I feel it works better as a long 4, even though I am not a very long hitter.

Number 8, another long par 4 is also quite good, with a semi-blind tee shot followed by approach into a simple, but elegant green site.

The 10th hole is an opportunity missed, as overgrowth of trees has prevented a genuine go at the green. Should they clear trees (as they have already done throughout the front 9), it could be a great short 4.

As others have already mentioned, the par 3 16th hole is superb, with a unique, small, well-bunkered green, which is tough to find with even a SW. 

The two valley holes were my least favorite. While it's a beautiful part of the property, both holes, especially the long par 4 15th, are too narrow. 

While Shaker Heights may not be quite the architectural treasure that are Canterbury or The Country Club (both right down the street), it is one most of us here would be thrilled to play often. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »
Great discussions here guys!  Many of the last comments are spot-on.  The course really starts to come to life around 7 or 8, falls a bit flat out at 14 and 15 and then a solid finish in from there.

I had the great opportunity to play there again (been around the course twice in 2007 and 2014 since moving here to Cleveland) and played the front with their assistant pro who gave me a personally guided tour of the changes that had been underway.  He bowed-out after 11, but the caddie and i had a nice walk in from there.

The club had worked hard to try and promote tree removal and re-establish greens out to their full pads.  A great example of this was on 8 where a large stand of trees blocked the left side of the fairway (now gone) giving longer hitters a "go for it" option that really seemed to improve the hole.  The overall tree removal was evident in my 7-year hiatus between plays, but more was still needed.

Finn (above) really nailed it...a very solid course, but compared to its neighbors makes it hard to consider it in the same category.  Calling it a second-top 100 course seems about right to me...not sure where those numbers actually play out.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

DPierson

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the great comments on Shaker guys. Frank, I enjoyed having you out a couple years back and hope you can make it back to Cleveland this summer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back