News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Goody

Re:Will YALE heed Brad Klein's advice ?
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2003, 02:25:43 AM »
Sure, the parking lot is full, because there are so many shots at Yale currently that aren't and just won't be replicated on so many courses that the average guy interested in interesting architecture can access. They can't screw up the routing and elevation changes that much, although moving the greens on 3 and 16 seem like a pretty good attempts to me.

I go to Yale to see what adventure from the tee is like, even in an altered state; and for a while I thought it was enough. And then... I read George Bahto's book and so many things made sense.

#3 is the best microcosm to me of what's wrong with Yale in its' current state. The first time i played the hole i just couldn't figure out why such an interesting hole had such a boring and plain green. You step up to the tee and can't wait to hit a good tee shot and see where it ends up. Then you hit a shot over the hill to a green that has as much contour and interest as a frisbee. It just never made sense to me. Then I read The Evangelist of Golf and found out how the hole played in the first place.

Yale has screwed it up completely. Look at the University's website under Museums and Galleries- you see the Art Gallery, the Center for British Art, the Collection for Musical Instruments and the Peabody (which is a great museum), but nothing about the golf course. But is the genius that Raynor displayed in engineering that site is less remarkable than a "conventional" work of art or architecture? So why not the same level of attention? It's a parallel that's been drawn before on this site, but maybe if we just keep pounding away we'll make some headway.

But no Ivy League school gives a damn about anything that isn't directly related to raising money or its' US News Ranking (a most dangerous artifice of the media). Sounds like a disgruntled alum (which I am- Dartmouth '98), but I think Yale's neglect of a real "Golden Age" treasure is sad and despicable- but not unexpected. The only reason that Yale probably hasn't already proposed the "Stanford Alternative" is that the Yale course isn't contiguous to the campus.

M. Shea Sweeney

Re: Will YALE heed Brad Klein's advice ?
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
bump

PThomas

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »
is Brad's article available anywhere?
198 played, only 2 to go!!

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
bump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back