News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Monroe (Donald Ross) rochester, ny
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »
JP - Thanks for the information.  When I was there last fall, the white outlines drawn by Gil to indicate new bunkers were still visible.  And they all appeared to be perfectly placed.

And Mike Cirba is right about 12-17.   Ross at his best.  Not only challenging but a blast to play :)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »
JPBlain,

Thanks for the update.

Prior to posting I didn't know who did the bunker work, but it's looking really tremendous.

I agree that more trees could be removed, but there are still nice wide corridors of play.   However, I'd imagine that some really pretty vistas could be opened to view, and some of the backdrops to greensites markedly improved with a chainsaw.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
If I recall correctly, 8, 12 and 13 could use some tree managent.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
Dan,

12 could use pruning back on the right, for sure, although it also does protect the 10th green for wayward second shots.   I don't recall anything particularly offensive at 8 or 13, however, so perhaps they've been dealt with?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
Could be.   Then again, it could have been a wayward shot on my part!

Bruce Leland

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »

I agree that more trees could be removed, but there are still nice wide corridors of play.   However, I'd imagine that some really pretty vistas could be opened to view, and some of the backdrops to greensites markedly improved with a chainsaw.
I last played Monroe 4 years ago but was struck by the comment that the Director of Golf made upon our introduction, I'm paraphrasing...."We have recently removed over 500 trees and our restoration plan calls for more"

Apparently the memberships resistance to tree removal stopped short of plan.  I'm glad to hear that Gil's work is nearly complete and must find time to replay this venerable layout in the near future.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back