News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Westward Ho! The oldest course in England - with pics.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 04:15:36 AM »
I found this old map of RND on another thread herein.

Anyone have a map of the earlier Old Tom Morris course layout they could post?

atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
I missed this thread the first time -- must have been traveling.  But it's cool that it came up today, since I just spoke with a client about building a course that feels 200 years old, and Westward Ho! would be one of the models for that.

I took my client Ric Kayne and his wife and another couple there last year on a short trip in the west of England, and the ladies both said this was their favorite course of the lot.

Also, I am not sure if Pete Dye ever made it to Westward Ho!  He might have gone there with Lee Schmidt on their trip in the 80's, after I showed him pictures of the course.  But it was Prestwick where the got the idea to use sleepers on the course on his 1963 trip.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Here's hoping that the project comes through, Tom.

If it does, please try to build something like the Par 3 5th hole, and then in the promotional material note that it was inspired by Westward Ho!

It seems a perfect little golf hole, and reminds me of the 14th at Crystal Downs.

If the homage did nothing but get a few more architects to build 'up' to Par 3 greens instead of down almost constantly, it will have done its duty.

Peter

mike_malone

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 10:18:23 AM »
I also love par threes with the sea behind.
AKA Mayday

Thomas Dai

Re: Westward Ho! The oldest course in England - with pics. New
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »
I missed this thread the first time -- must have been traveling.  But it's cool that it came up today, since I just spoke with a client about building a course that feels 200 years old, and Westward Ho! would be one of the models for that.
Reversible as well? :)
Indeed, would WHo! be playable in reverse order? I wonder if OTM's original course could be played in two directions?
Atb
Later edit - a recoloured aerial from the early 1950's -
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:13:09 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back