News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Graham

Re: Low key clubhouse or modular Cost
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 10:51:21 AM »
Dundonald in the west of Scotland has a portacabin style Clubhouse, which found very inviting and relaxing after my round there in 2015.  I only need warm showers, comfortable seating, a bar, and decent food.  It provided all four.

JJ,

I'm sorry to have to break it to you but next time you're at Dundonald you'll be in rather more salubrious accommodation.

http://www.coveburgess.com/portfolio/dundonald-links/

Jason Thurman

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
The parts below add up to $2150, not including Costco, Sportsman's Club, and Amazon Prime memberships. With your Costco membership you can get a few handles of Kirkland Signature liquor, a package of steaks, some Chinet plates and silverware, and an industrial bottle of hand sanitizer. Presto! You're ready to serve guests for under $2300!

http://www.costco.com/Conner-Screen-Room-12'-X-14'-.product.100245773.html

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/texsport-deluxe-camping-shower-shelter-combo?a=1171035

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/reliance-flushable-loo-400-toilet?a=620012

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Road-Propane-Portable-Grill/dp/B00GPEKBPE/ref=zg_bs_3401041_1
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

PCCraig

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
Wow. This thread sure escalated quickly! Who knew trailers would get people this hot and bothered!

The best low key clubhouse I've ever seen is The Dunes:

The entrance:

Inside:

As for cost, if you're really interested you could call Mike Kaiser?
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
Cmon Bill...don't try to derail this thread with a logical piece of advice.

Sorry, back to Fantasy Island!

Getting this thread back on track, I think Bill had a brilliant idea.....

This would be a terrific low key club house.

I mean cmon, who wouldn't enjoy having these guys greet you at the finish of every round with a ring of the bell and a Mai Tai!!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
Cmon Bill...don't try to derail this thread with a logical piece of advice.

Sorry, back to Fantasy Island!

Getting this thread back on track, I think Bill had a brilliant idea.....

This would be a terrific low key club house.

I thought that looked familiar.  It's the Queen Anne's Cottage at the LA County Arboretum in Arcadia (where they did some filming).  I grew up about two miles away.  And just a quick trip across a mall, a hospital, and a somewhat famous horse racing track from Santa Anita Golf course.

JJShanley

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2016, 01:59:53 PM »

Well that's different.

Dundonald in the west of Scotland has a portacabin style Clubhouse, which found very inviting and relaxing after my round there in 2015.  I only need warm showers, comfortable seating, a bar, and decent food.  It provided all four.

JJ,

I'm sorry to have to break it to you but next time you're at Dundonald you'll be in rather more salubrious accommodation.

MCirba

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »
Here's a 1969 aerial of the first golf course I ever played, the inimitable nine hole Scott-View Golf Course in Montdale, PA.   My first round took place about two years after this photo, on July 13, 1971, nine days before my 13th birthday.

I've painted in a little red arrow to indicate the "clubhouse", which as you can see has a smaller footprint than the adjacent 2nd and 9th greens.   However, it housed a little cash register with used balls, tees, and rental clubs (kept in a back closet) for sale, and a nice lunch counter with about 8 seats where they'd serve up Stewart Sandwiches and chips, and there was a coke or pepsi box in there, the kind where you had to reach in to pull out your bottle.   They also had some golf and sports magazines laying around and it was here I discovered the June 1971 article previewing the US Open at Merion in a wonderful piece titled "The Ghosts of Merion" that spurred a life-long fascination with that course.   

I'm still not sure why anyone would need anything more. 

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Carl Nichols

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
Many older courses/clubs in the UK started out with the local pub being the clubhouse and some UK muni's have more than one clubhouse as more than one club plays over the same course.
Atb

Thomas,

it is not just munis as North Berwick also has several clubs each with their own clubhouses.

Jon

That's also the case with Royal Portrush and, I think, Royal County Down.  When I was in Northern Ireland we played the Dunluce course one day as regular visitors [with access to only certain parts of the clubhouse], and then later in the week met and played the Valley course with a member of Rathmore [and spent time in the Rathmore clubhouse]. 

I'm not sure I've seen a thread devoted to this topic, but I found the relationships among RP members, Rathmore members, and regular visitors (us) very interesting and unique.   

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »

JJ,

Looks like they are channeling the WWII concrete bunker look. Well at least it will fit into to landscape from a historical point of view.  ;D

Jon

David Davis

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
Kingsley Club has a very low key clubhouse. To me it feels perfect. The patio is a great place to sit.

While I'm thinking of Michigan, Crystal Downs Club house is also low key but pretty amazing IMO.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2016, 03:47:57 PM »
Other than my golf swing, this just might be the most fugly thing I've seen in quite awhile...  ;)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:50:12 PM by Kalen Braley »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »
I played Sweeten's Cove in Tennessee this past weekend and found the diminuative clubhouse all that is needed for the place. There, you'll want to spend your time out on the course. Actually, I found it quite refreshing and really liked it. The focus was on the course.

PS: My other favorite clubhouse is Tobacco Road.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:13:38 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:16 AM »
As was said very early on before the handbags at dawn basic clubhouses are more suited to  pay and play venues. Members clubs tend to need more comfortable facilities as its a social venue rather than a quick pit stop.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2016, 04:37:53 AM »

Chappers is right.  It also makes a big difference if the course is 9 or 18 holes. 

Leckford Old....the simplicty of the design and maintenance is echoed by the house.  Five staff run the entire Leckford golf operation (there is also Leckford New) so it will be appreciated that there is no bar or proshop. Visitors deposit money in a slot in the wall and there is a fridge on hand for those who bring their own beer/food. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike_Young

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2016, 06:49:45 AM »
Merion West Course clubhouse is all you need....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
Dave,

Looks like TPC Sawgrass is your dream setup!  ;D

Carl Rogers

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »
Wow. This thread sure escalated quickly! Who knew trailers would get people this hot and bothered!

The best low key clubhouse I've ever seen is The Dunes:

The entrance:

Inside:

As for cost, if you're really interested you could call Mike Kaiser?
The cupola should out more the middle of the large sitting area.  It would have made the Building Elevations asymmetrical but the experience and the penetration of light  from the Cupola of the would have been enhanced.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

BCowan

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 10:23:39 PM »
Dormie Cont.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »
I still remember the one room clubhouse when King Carter opened as Golf Digests Best New course.

http://cdn.cybergolf.com/images/1007/golf_mid_atlantic.pdf

They built a new one more recently.

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Low key clubhouse, Cost, photos, and thoughts
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
My favorite low key clubhouse is Belvedere in Charlevoix, MI

Parlor:

Dining Room:

Locker Room:

Back:

Norbert P

Re: Low key clubhouse, Cost, photos, and thoughts New
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »
Traigh Golf Club, Arisaig, Scotland . . . 

I only used the Honor Box (honestly) so I don't know what it's like inside.

"The secret to life is honesty . . .

If you can fake that you've got it made."  George Burns
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:37:33 PM by Norbert P »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back