News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Re: Midwest Mashie 2016 - Wolf Run Golf Club - Indianapolis Sept 23-25
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »

We have a trade to announce.

The West Team has traded Ryan Hillenbrand to the East Team. In return, the West Team re-receives Bryan Sander. This trade will make for an even number of players in each match except Saturday afternoon. Zach Lowe reports that the West Team is in contract negotiations to bring in a player on a five hour contract for Saturday afternoon, with hopes that a deal may be complete by end of day. Stay tuned to the #MidwestMashie Twitter hashtag for additional developments.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »

The West Team has traded Ryan Hillenbrand to the East Team. In return, the West Team re-receives Bryan Sander. This trade will make for an even number of players in each match except Saturday afternoon. Zach Lowe reports that the West Team is in contract negotiations to bring in a player on a five hour contract for Saturday afternoon, with hopes that a deal may be complete by end of day. Stay tuned to the #MidwestMashie Twitter hashtag for additional developments.

Adrian Wojnarowski reports that the Sanders brothers playing for the West Team is instantly more promising than the Curry, Wilkins, Morris, Price, Hansbrough, Van Arsdale and Dragic brothers playing together. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BHoover

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »
Remember when Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals? Not even Team West could top that feat!

Josh Tarble

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2016, 04:18:32 PM »
Can we get a course report for those of us unable to play? I'm holding out hope that the greens are running at a brisk 5 on the stimpmeter.

If anyone is looking for the mom and pop experience they can try out Hickory Bend across the street.

http://www.hickorybendgolf.com/

Matthew Sander

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »

Did he pass the physical?

Scott Sander

« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2016, 05:33:13 AM »
Never trust a team with two Sander boys.
Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:53:46 AM by Scott Sander »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »
Can we get a course report for those of us unable to play? I'm holding out hope that the greens are running at a brisk 5 on the stimpmeter.

2016 Midwest Mashie - Wolf Run Golf Club - Course Report
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »

Fortunately this is golf so I think I can. Any other sport and this deal probably would have fallen through

Matthew Sander

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »

Fortunately this is golf so I think I can. Any other sport and this deal probably would have fallen through

Ryan, I had no doubt about you. It was my brother I was concerned about. Bad knees, bad diet, bad genes...he's a bit of a lemon. I can say these things about him without any blowback because he is but a lowly lurker.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »
Jason and Captains,

Are there any updates yet regarding tee times/match ups?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »
Matt, I just confirmed that we'll start at 9:30 or so Saturday, so I think you should plan to go in the first group if the captains can oblige. We'll tee off around 10 Sunday, and I had noted that you would need a later time that day so figure 10:30 or so.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2016, 12:24:57 PM »

Thanks!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »
Lodge guests: we have rooms 1-6 reserved tonight. Please save room 3 for Peter and Rees.

BHoover

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
Can we get a breakdown of the matches this weekend?

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »
Can we get a breakdown of the matches this weekend?

I'll let others fill in the details that escape me.

Saturday Fourball (2.5 East, 1.5 West)
Rees Milikin / Evan Fleisher (East) defeat Jon Winick / Bill Seitz (West) 9&8
Chris Sturges / Criss Titschinger (East) defeat Rusty Scott and John McCarthy (West) 7&5
Jason Thurman / Ken Fry (East) vs. Peter Korbakes / Ron Smith (West)
Joe Zucker / Ryan Hillenbrand (East) vs. Matt Sander / Bryan Sander (West)

Saturday Session (4.5 East, 3.5 West)
Jason Thurman / Criss Titschinger (East) defeat Rusty Scott (I think; sorry, my short-term memory sucks) / John McCarthy (West) 6&5
Can't remember the other afternoon matches. Please fill in.

Sunday Singles
Peter Korbakes (West) defeated Josh Tarble (East) 3&2, I think. Match ended on 16.
Rees Milikin (East) halved Bill Seitz (West)
Criss Titschinger (East) defeated Jon Winick (West) (match conceded on hole 10; I was 5up after 9)
Jason Thurman (East) defeated John McCarthy (West) 5&3
Bryan Sander (West) defeated Ken Fry (East)
Rusty Scott (West) defeated Chris Sturges (East)
Matt Sander (West) defeated Evan Fleisher (East) 1up
Joe Zucker (East) defeated Ron Smith (West)

West takes 4.5 points in singles. East takes 3.5.

Final Result: East 8, West 8. The 2016 Midwest Mashie is a tie. Defending champion East retains the Mashie.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:25:38 PM by Criss Titschinger »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2016, 10:18:11 PM »
Slight correction...Fleisher and Milikin take down Winick and Seitz 9&8 in one of the greatest ham'n'egg combos ever created.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2016, 10:26:08 PM »
Slight correction...Fleisher and Milikin take down Winick and Seitz 9&8 in one of the greatest ham'n'egg combos ever created.

Sorry. Corrected.

BHoover

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2016, 10:37:50 PM »

That's a true beat down.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2016, 11:34:13 PM »

That's a true beat down.

We were down six through six.  On seven I stuffed one to three feet on a hole where they weren't getting strokes.  Rees chipped in for birdie on top of me.  Basically summed up the round. 

I salvaged a bit in singles when I came back from three down with three to play for a half point.  Would have beat him if I'd been able to two putt the 11th hole, but alas, I three putted for an eight, which halved his nine for eight.  Feathers were flying everywhere.

Had a great time playing Crooked Stick on Thursday and 36 at Broadmoor on Friday.  Wolf Run was fun, but now I see why it's so hard, even from the proper tees.  I like to call it "Amusement-Parkland Golf". 

Thanks so much to Jason for setting up the golf, and Howard for setting up the meals.  My heirloom blue corn grits at Milktooth were phenomenal.  The staff at Wolf were very accommodating.  Great weekend all around.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »

Many thanks to Jason for all his work in coordinating another successful Mashie.  (Sans the East Team retaining the trophy.)  It's no small chore in organizing golf, meals, lodging, etc and Jason did so effortlessly.

Also, thanks to Josh for lining up the pre-tourney activities.

Thanks so much to Jason for setting up the golf, and Howard for setting up the meals.  My heirloom blue corn grits at Milktooth were phenomenal.  The staff at Wolf were very accommodating.  Great weekend all around.

Thanks, Bill, but Jason deserves all the credit. I merely encouraged the Milktooth visit. And definitely glad that Josh shared in the enthusiasm.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »
Sounds like everyone had an awesome weekend. Sorry to miss out this year.

Was there any discussion on sites for next year?
H.P.S.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »

2016 Midwest Mashie - Wolf Run Golf Club - Course Report

I think it's fair to say this report was accurate.

We had some pretty good discussion of the courses at last year's Mashie emerge, and I hope to get some of the same going this year. Yard-for-yard, I think Wolf Run is harder than any other course I've seen. As much as I love it, I don't begrudge anyone who thinks it's just too damn hard. But talking with guys about their impressions of the course over the last few years as I've gotten to know it well, I've learned that Wolf's reputation of being enjoyable only for low handicappers is a misconception. While admittedly a lot of people wouldn't want to play it every day, I've found that some of the most vocal fans of the course are higher handicappers, while I also know plenty of low markers who don't like it much at all. It requires a player to walk a very thin line regardless of skill, but anyone who can carry the ball 150 yards from a tee and 100 yards from a fairway has at least a chance of meeting the challenge and playing to their handicap, which is a uniquely satisfying feeling there. Knowing that it's possible is what makes me want to go back out after lunch when things go sideways during a morning round, while understanding just how unrelenting it can be is what makes the good rounds so satisfying. It's inevitable at a course like Wolf Run that some players will be off their game and get beaten up, but I hope everyone at least walked away with a few memorable shots and moments of real excitement, as it's a course that offers many opportunities for elation even if a substantial percentage of those opportunities end in disappointment.

Someone brought up Tobacco Road at dinner one night, and I mentioned that it's one of my litmus test courses for deciding whose tastes might be similar to mine. If I get different course recommendations from two people, and one of them loves Tobacco Road while the other dislikes it, I'm going to follow the recommendation of the guy who loves it. Lots of people don't like Tobacco Road, and I respect that and understand it. In fact, my favorite thing about Tobacco Road might be the friendly arguments about it that I have with those guys. The fact that I see certain courses very differently from them doesn't make either of us wrong, but it does mean that we probably should take course selection advice from each other with a grain of salt. Wolf Run is similar, but so much more genuinely difficult than The Road that I'm less likely to dismiss the guy who hates it as being someone whose tastes diverge from mine, and I'm more inclined to understand someone's take on Wolf Run even if it doesn't match mine. It's a wildly polarizing course - you could tell me that someone will give it an 8 in the next Confidential Guide and that someone else will give it a 4, and I wouldn't be surprised either way. Some people would probably even try to make the zero argument. Even my own opinion of it fluctuates depending on how I'm playing on any given visit. It's hard to tell anyone that they're really wrong about a course with so much to love and so much to hate.

Point being, I hope we get some frank discussion going from this weekend, in this thread and in others, and I hope that no one feels like they need to sugar coat anything. I unabashedly love the golf course - it has maybe my favorite opening hole in golf, one of my favorite sets of par 3s, and one of my 10 favorite holes in the world in the 5th. If you take the best par 3, best par 4, and best par 5 of every course I've played, 6-5-10 at Wolf stands right there with 7-8-6 at Pebble Beach, 10-6-13 at Lawsonia, 14-5-8 at Crystal Downs, and maybe a handful of other courses. But there are also a couple holes I don't really care for, even if I accept them all as part of the overall challenge. Sure, holes like 8, 14, and 15 are integral to the challenge that Wolf Run tries to present. That doesn't mean that I get excited to play them though. There's plenty to debate and discuss, and I hope we get some good conversations going over the next few days. Don't be shy.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
Sounds like everyone had an awesome weekend. Sorry to miss out this year.

Was there any discussion on sites for next year?

I heard a couple really good ones. Nothing I would be comfortable broadcasting here at this time, but I'm confident 2017 will be a great Mashie. Truthfully, we probably have a solid decade worth of potential host sites.

I appreciate the thanks for organizing, but they really should go to Stan Burton, Doug Hill, Jerry Reynolds, Cathy Fischer, Nate Fair, and the entire service staff at Wolf Run (including the newly launched valet service!), as well as Jason LePage from Broadmoor. I used the last 8 months to make a spreadsheet and send a few e-mails and call in a dinner reservation while waiting for my wife to pick up a to-go order from Panera. Those guys answered all of my annoying questions quickly and thoroughly, opened their clubs to us, fed us, crunched the numbers on our tabs, prepared some pretty outstanding playing surfaces, and basically ensured that we'd have a can't-miss weekend. It was a breeze, and I think the results of their efforts showed throughout.

Ron Smith

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »
Jason, thank you again for setting up a great event at a truly wonderful golf destination.  Thank you to the Wolf Run staff for making the weekend a outstanding experience with great service and excellent conditions.

I loved the comparison to Tobacco Road and made the same comment on Sunday.  It is a polarizing course and the same people who think Tobacco is a fun round of golf on a unique course are likely to enjoy the challenge and originality of Wolf. 

Though it is not everyone's cup of tea I love the course and find the more I play it the more options for playing lines and club selection are available. I found myself hitting multiple clubs for the same shots over the rounds this past weekend, the diversity of clubs I teed off with is second to none for courses I've played this year.   The back 9 has some very gettable holes and the three hardest consecutive holes I've ever played.  I really enjoyed the back 9 while playing match play and felt it provided some great drama in our matches.  It is such a unique course, club and overall experience I urge anyone who hasn't played Wolf to make the trip(and select the correct tees).

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:52 PM »
My first attempt at this got timed out and I lost about 15 minutes worth of typing. Try 2.

As I higher handicap player, I didn’t know what to expect from Wolf Run. I had studied the aerials and drone videos, but I thought, “Can this course really be that hard?” It didn’t take long to look at the first hole and know this place isn’t messing around. In fact, there really is no let up at Wolf Run. You need to be on your game here for most every shot.

That being said, my big surprise was how playable Wolf Run was for me. There aren’t a lot of long force carries from the right tees. Sure, there may be a water intersection, but there’s always an option to lay up, where the next shot doesn’t need to be in the air long to find its next point. Whereas some places have unfair holes or holes that just don’t make any sense, I never once thought Wolf Run is unfair. You can choose to go for the shot; or, in most cases (save 13), there’s a safe option to lay up.

My thoughts on the first round were akin to, “Is this place seriously this tough?”. I may have called 15 a bullsh*t hole at first view. I was questioning my ability to finish the hole on 9 and 14. To summarize my initial experience: I liked it, but I was a bit overwhelmed.

However, my subsequent plays over the weekend had me loving the place. During the second round, it clicked for me. By the third round, I was enjoying the challenge. Would I want this to be my main course I play? No. Is it a hard, yet fun test of golf that’s worth indulging in once in a while? Absolutely. The number of unique holes at Wolf Run makes for an experience you just can’t get at most places.

Take the 16th hole. Both Saturday rounds I hit a ¾ wedge and had GIRs. Sunday (after a thin bullet wedge in the creek), I hit another tee shot where I hit the slope off the green and watched it roll down closer to the pin than any of my two shots on Saturday did. It’s that challenge and variety that keeps things interesting.

The par 3s were great. I’m not a huge fan of 13, but I get the concept. And, once you know about the kick plate on the left, the hole isn’t quite as intimidating. 12-15 is the hardest stretch of golf I’ve ever played. But even that being said, high handicap me pared 15 on Sunday; which despite chipping in twice on 7 for par and birdie, might be my proudest playing accomplishment of the week.

The Wolf Run staff was fantastic this weekend. They really couldn’t have been more welcoming and accommodating. Despite the amount of rain and weather volatility in the area, the course was in great shape. The Lodge was fun. I got to show off my scratch Golden Tee handicap, which has been dormant for a while. I’m glad I got to get Broadmoor in and thankful they let us play.

Jason did a great job organizing everything. Everything (on my end) went smoothly. I know the hard work that goes into doing these type of events, and I always appreciate the efforts.

I’m holding on tightly to that Mashie this year. Can’t wait to bring it back next year at a location TBD.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back