News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Criss Titschinger

Re: Midwest Mashie 2016 - Wolf Run Golf Club - Indianapolis Sept 23-25
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »
For anyone looking for a Friday AM game, I have a tee-time at Woodland Country Club in Carmel at 9AM. I can bring a foursome out there. DM me if you're interested and I'll share the details.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »
In case any of you are doing pre-Mashie golf, be advised that BOTH courses at Purdue are fully booked on Thursday, Sept. 22. Just found that out.  :(

D'oh!!!

Re-group...

Give a look at the Trophy Club, a fun Tim Liddy design in Lebanon. It's 17 miles north of Wolf Run.

http://www.thetrophyclubgolf.com/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »
I think Tarble's list from a couple years ago sums up the Indianapolis golf scene pretty well:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59274.html

Put me in the camp that thinks Trophy Club is the area's best public course.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2016, 11:11:53 PM »
In case any of you are doing pre-Mashie golf, be advised that BOTH courses at Purdue are fully booked on Thursday, Sept. 22. Just found that out.  :(

D'oh!!!

Re-group...

Give a look at the Trophy Club, a fun Tim Liddy design in Lebanon. It's 17 miles north of Wolf Run.

http://www.thetrophyclubgolf.com/

Thanks for the suggestions, Howard!  Our pre-Mashie golf is set...a "double" in the Dayton area Thursday followed by Harrison Hills on Friday AM and joining the gang at the Broadmoor Friday PM.  Shaping up to be a Rock Star trip!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ted Sturges

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »
For those who have not played or seen it, Harrison Hills Country Club in Attica, Indiana is roughly 60 miles from Wolf Run.  Harrison Hills was originally a 9 hole course built by Langford and Moreau.  Tim Liddy has added 9 holes which are also quite good (but the original 9 holes are AWESOME).  Definitely worth the drive up to Attica if you are trying to fit in another course to see.

There is a course review on this website, FYI.

TS

Howard Riefs

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »
For those who have not played or seen it, Harrison Hills Country Club in Attica, Indiana is roughly 60 miles from Wolf Run.  Harrison Hills was originally a 9 hole course built by Langford and Moreau.  Tim Liddy has added 9 holes which are also quite good (but the original 9 holes are AWESOME).  Definitely worth the drive up to Attica if you are trying to fit in another course to see.

There is a course review on this website, FYI.

TS

Agree with Ted. Since he mentioned it, the course tour and a couple other items...

Tour
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/harrison-hills-in-usa/

Featured Interview with Tim Liddy
http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/tim-liddy/

A few photos form 2012. Incidentally, stopped there for a round before the 2012 Mashie…
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52173.msg1233141.html#msg1233141
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Paul Stockert

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2016, 10:54:14 AM »
Jason, just sent a private note.  To the teams, I'm really bummed but I have to miss out but I've had to cancel last minute. I really hope to meet some of you at a future event, especially the Chicago contingent as I could use a couple more golf buddies on call.

Hit em straight.

- PJ

P.s. I guess on the bright side when I was on the team the West was saddled with a guy with a vanity handicap that hasn't adjusted to me having a baby at home because I can't get the rounds in to make it go up!  The USGA should adjust upwards slowly for each summer week spent not playing...
~ PJ

“Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

Jason Thurman

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »
As we are nailing down final prep for this year’s Midwest Mashie, I need a few pieces of information from each of you. Please see below, and RESPOND via PM or reply to this thread BY FRIDAY!!!

1.       Your entrée order for Saturday night – choice of Grilled New York Strip or Blackened Sea Bass
2.       Your handicap! We’ll use the 9/15 revision, so please send me your trend handicap for that revision once you’ve finished posting scores that will affect it

We also need the West Team to name a captain who will make pairings and set up matches against the East captain. On that note, I am honored to announce that my friend and fellow Cincinnati resident Criss Titschinger will serve as the captain of the Two-Time Defending Champion East Team.

Keep an eye on your PM Inbox this week, as I'll be following up with many of you to confirm final lodging and playing plans. Thanks.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »

Bumping in case anyone missed yesterday's update with the site being down a few times today. Please make sure I know your entree selection for Saturday's dinner, and your handicap as well (9/15 revision). Updated registration lists are below:

Thursday Lodging (Space very limited)
Howard Riefs
Bill Seitz
Criss Titschinger
Jason Thurman

Friday Broadmoor Golf
(Beginning at 2:45p, 2 spots remaining):
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Peter Korbakes
Criss Titschinger
Chris Sturges
Bill Seitz
Evan Fleisher
Josh Tarble
Joe Zucker
Brian Bowman

Friday Dinner at St. Elmo (Reservation confirmed for 10 people; anyone else who would like to join will need to RSVP to me immediately)
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Howard Riefs
Peter Korbakes
Criss Titschinger
Bill Seitz
Jason Lietaer
Josh Tarble
Jon Winick
Rees Milikin

Wolf Run Lodging (Check in Fri - Check out Sun, an asterisk next to your name means I currently still need a final confirmation that you’ll be there as I want to avoid any late cancellations)
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Howard Riefs (Thursday & Friday night only)
Peter Korbakes
Criss Titschinger
Zack Molnar*
Chris Sturges
John McCarthy*
Bill Seitz*
Evan Fleisher
Jason Lietaer*
Joe Lynch*
Jon Winick*
Rees Milikin
Ryan Hillenbrand (Saturday night only)

Saturday and Sunday Mashie Golf
Team West
Peter Korbakes
Ryan Hillenbrand
Zack Molnar
John McCarthy
Bill Seitz
Matthew Sander (Saturday AM early, Sunday AM late – no Saturday PM round)
Ron Smith
Jon Winick
Bryan Sander
Rusty Scott

Two-Time Defending Champion Team East
Captain Criss Titschinger
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Chris Sturges
Evan Fleisher
Jason Lietaer
Joe Lynch
Josh Tarble (Sunday only)
Joe Zucker
Rees Milikin
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John McCarthy

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »
Looking kinda dry between now and next Saturday.  Maybe the club could turn off the sprinklers since she is soon to be NLE.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:41:01 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

herrstein

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
This is a great golf course and if I possibly could, I'd be there.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2016, 10:26:16 PM »
Just a reminder to check your PM folder if you haven't recently.

More updates and finalizing of plans to come tomorrow. Awaiting one or two final confirmations, I expect the rosters to be as below, including handicaps. Howard, are you captaining Team West?

Team West
Peter Korbakes (-0.6)
Ryan Hillenbrand (NH)
John McCarthy (17.1)
Bill Seitz (4.1)
Matthew Sander (7.3)
Ron Smith (5.9)
Jon Winick (11.1)
Bryan Sander (6.8 )
Rusty Scott (9.2)
Non-playing: Howard Riefs

Team East
Captain: Criss Titschinger (19.3)
Jason Thurman (8.9)
Ken Fry (4.3)
Chris Sturges
Evan Fleisher (12.3)
Joe Lynch
Josh Tarble (0.4)
Joe Zucker (1.5)
Rees Milikin (14.1)

As an FYI, I was out at Wolf Run on Saturday after two inches of overnight rain soaked the course. It was soft from the deluge, but otherwise in excellent condition. Let's hope the forecast for this week is accurate.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:35:31 PM by Jason Thurman »

Rees Milikin

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2016, 11:16:49 PM »
This is a great golf course and if I possibly could, I'd be there.

Doug,

We want you there, make it happen! 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »
Just a reminder to check your PM folder if you haven't recently.

Howard, are you captaining Team West?

I wish I could but I'm leaving before the Saturday afternoon rounds.

Captain Korbakes has a nice ring to it! 

Buck Wolter

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
Judging from the results of the recent collegiate tourney at WR you guys better put on the big boy pants! Looks like the Chicago guys will have an advantage. Sorry I'm going to miss it.
https://kty-platform-secure-prod.silverchalice.co/v3/files/55aee3f3e4b05936b846c037
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jason Thurman

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »
If anyone is in touch with Joe Lynch, please poke him to check his e-mail/PMs.

Ron Smith

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
A heads up for anyone playing Harrison Hills this week, they are aerating today and tomorrow.  I am looking to play 36 at Rock Hollow if anyone is interested in joining.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »
A heads up for anyone playing Harrison Hills this week, they are aerating today and tomorrow.  I am looking to play 36 at Rock Hollow if anyone is interested in joining.

Thanks for that update Ron.  I had heard the same news, but Sturges and I are going to bite the bullet and give it a go anyways.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ron Smith

« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »
The original holes are world class regardless of green conditions, throw a few balls in the greenside bunkers on 13 & 15 and have fun.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »
The original holes are world class regardless of green conditions, throw a few balls in the greenside bunkers on 13 & 15 and have fun.

Will do!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2016, 11:35:04 PM »

ROSTERS UPDATED AFTER TUESDAY'S BLOCKBUSTER TRADE:
Ok, I think I've touched base with everyone in the last week or two. I know what all of you want for dinner (I guessed that with St. Elmo on Friday, there might be some reluctance to eat steak on back-to-back nights - I was wrong, which only reminds me why I feel among kindred spirits every year at this event). I know all your handicaps (or in Ryan's case, that you're working on figuring out an approximation). I know that if you RSVP'd for a lodge room, you're using it. I'm now ready to turn this show over to the captains, Peter Korbakes of the West and Criss Titschinger of the East. We did have one or two final roster shakeups due to a couple last minute cancellations, which resulted in the trade of Bryan Sander to the East Team, pitting brother against brother. Here are the teams:

Team West
Captain Peter Korbakes (-0.6)
Bryan Sander (6.8 )
John McCarthy (17.1)
Bill Seitz (4.1)
Matthew Sander (7.3 - Will not play Saturday afternoon)
Ron Smith (5.9)
Jon Winick (11.1)
Rusty Scott (9.2)
Non-playing: Howard Riefs

Team East
Captain Criss Titschinger (19.3)
Jason Thurman (8.9)
Ken Fry (4.3)
Chris Sturges (12.1)
Evan Fleisher (12.3)
Josh Tarble (0.4 - Playing Sunday only)
Joe Zucker (1.5)
Rees Milikin (14.1)
Ryan Hillenbrand (NH - Playing Saturday only)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:21:38 PM by Jason Thurman »

Brian Finn

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2016, 09:27:02 AM »
I'm sorry to be missing this 2 years in a row.  Always a great event.

Will the captains be squaring off in singles on Sunday?
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »
Will the captains be squaring off in singles on Sunday?

I'm open to it, but Peter would be giving me 26 strokes off the Grey tees. That's no bullshit. 2-6.

You can thank the USGA for that. I mostly play as a single, and haven't been able to post most of my scores this year. My approximation is I'd only be getting 20 strokes had I been able to post single rounds.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:55:17 AM by Criss Titschinger »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
He'd only have to give you 19 if he played the tips and you played the whites! But I don't think there's any tradition of the captains squaring off in singles on Sunday. I do think a Golden Tee singles match between the captains would be a great way to settle a tie, though.

BHoover

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »
Can we get a course report for those of us unable to play? I'm holding out hope that the greens are running at a brisk 5 on the stimpmeter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back