News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Midwest Mashie – 2016
Indianapolis – September 23-25 – Wolf Run Golf Club

I am pleased and honored to invite you all to the 2016 Midwest Mashie, to be played September 23-25 in Indianapolis, IN. The Midwest Mashie pits the two-time defending champion East Team against the once proud West Team in a Ryder Cup-style event played over two days each fall.

This year’s host, Wolf Run Golf Club in Zionsville, IN, joins the long list of outstanding golf courses around the Midwest to serve as hosts. A longtime fixture of the Golfweek Top 100 Modern list, Wolf Run boasts a beautiful and secluded course that traverses up and down the ridges and lowlands surrounding Eagle Creek, which winds through the property. Architect Steve Smyers built a modern course that frequently harkens back to the design concepts of Tillinghast and Macdonald, with Redans, Great Hazards, Levens, Chasms, and many other Golden Age elements adapted for the modern era. Noted for its difficulty, the challenge Wolf Run poses has attracted a remarkable number of professional and very competitive amateur players to its membership. A more recent emphasis on tree and native cut management has preserved the course’s stout challenge while making it more playable for higher handicaps.

I owe tremendous gratitude to club chef Jerry Reynolds and owner Stan Burton for helping to make this event happen. Wolf Run will not, however, be the only course on the agenda. Stay tuned to this thread over the next month as we finalize details for Friday’s Mashie Prelude.

The Itinerary:

The Mashie Prelude – Friday, September 23

We will be arranging a day of golf on one or two of Indianapolis’ many outstanding courses. Stay tuned to this thread for more details as we confirm venues and costs. We are also working to arrange a dinner at St. Elmo Steakhouse on Friday night for all who are interested.

The 2016 Midwest Mashie

Lodging: The Lupton Lodge at Wolf Run Golf Club, Zionsville, IN
The Lupton Lodge will be available for check-in on Friday evening, with players checking out on Sunday morning. The lodge has two floors, each with its own common area featuring a kitchenette (read: gigantic fridge for beer) and living room with satellite HDTV. Each floor also has four bedrooms with two double-beds apiece. The top floor has Golden Tee (free of charge) and there’s a firepit and a wild night-putting green just outside the door. There is room in the lodge for up to 16 players.

If we reach capacity in the lodge (and I believe we will, so RSVP quickly), numerous hotels are located within 15 minutes or so of the club. Send me a PM if you’re interested in advice on the options available.

Competition Day 1 – Saturday, September 24
Morning round: Fourball
Afternoon round: Foursomes

For the first ever 36-hole day of competition in the Midwest Mashie, we’ll play the traditional fourball matches in the morning followed by afternoon foursomes (alternate shot) play. Captains may also arrange a few more fourball matches if there’s demand, particularly if there are late arrivers to the event. Those who wish to limit their day to 18 holes will be able to sit out either session as desired, and are encouraged to grab a golf cart and ride around the course heckling West Team players.

Competition Day 2 – Sunday, September 25

Morning round: Singles play
The East Team will wrap up its 3-peat with another strong performance in singles matches.

Afternoon: Open play
For those who don’t have to depart immediately, a few foursomes will be available in the afternoon.

Costs
Mashie Golf (and food): $320 includes
·         Two days unlimited golf
·         Breakfast buffet for both Saturday and Sunday morning
·         Cookout lunch on Saturday
·         Dinner on Saturday evening (your choice of grilled sea bass or New York strip steak, plus appetizers, salads, and dessert)

Carts are available for an extra $18 per round for those interested. Lunch from the clubhouse menu will also be available prior to departure.

Mashie Lodging: $150 includes two nights in the Lupton Lodge (this rate assumes double occupancy – players desiring their own room will pay $300 for two nights)

Registration
The registration list will be posted below and updated regularly. Please reply to this thread if you will be attending, indicate whether you would like a bed in the lodge or not, and also indicate your interest in a Friday evening dinner at St. Elmo so that I can begin deciding whether we would have enough attendees to warrant a private dining room.

8/29/16 Update:

Here's who I currently have registered for all activities. I will also update the home page with this information. Please review and let me know anything that looks incorrect.

We currently have a waitlist for lodge rooms. I'll be following up with lodge guests individually this weekend to ensure that everyone currently booked for a room confirms plans to attend and stay onsite. I want to make sure we don't end up with any empty beds, as there is a cost for last-minute cancellations and it would be silly for us to end up with unfilled rooms given the fact that we still have guys on the waitlist who'd love to take an open spot.

Also, there are a VERY limited number of lodge rooms available for Thursday night. Anyone interested in staying onsite that night as well should send me an e-mail at jasdthurm@gmail.com, and I'll let you know about availability.

Updated registration lists continued below - please continue to let me know anything I have incorrect:

Thursday Lodging (Space very limited)
Howard Riefs
Bill Seitz
Criss Titschinger
Jason Thurman

Friday Broadmoor Golf
AM vs PM Undecided (1 remaining PM spot up for grabs to first person who RSVPs - others will be placed in the morning wave):
Zach Molnar
Jason Lietaer
Joe Lynch
Rees Milikin

AM (12 total spots available beginning at 11a):
Ron Smith
Paul Stockert

PM (Beginning at 2:45p, 1 spot remaining):
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Howard Riefs
Peter Korbakes
Criss Titschinger
Chris Sturges
Bill Seitz
Evan Fleisher
Josh Tarble
Joe Zucker
Brian Bowman

Friday Dinner at St. Elmo (Reservation confirmed for 10 people; anyone else who would like to join will need to RSVP to me immediately)
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Howard Riefs
Peter Korbakes
Criss Titschinger
Bill Seitz
Jason Lietaer
Josh Tarble
Jon Winick
Rees Milikin

Wolf Run Lodging (Check in Fri - Check out Sun)
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Howard Riefs
Peter Korbakes
Criss Titschinger
Zack Molnar
Chris Sturges
John McCarthy
Bill Seitz
Evan Fleisher
Jason Lietaer
Joe Lynch
Jon Winick
Rees Milikin
Ryan Hillenbrand (Saturday only)

Saturday and Sunday Mashie Golf
Jason Thurman
Ken Fry
Howard Riefs
Peter Korbakes
Criss Titschinger
Ryan Hillenbrand
Zack Molnar
Chris Sturges
John McCarthy
Bill Seitz
Evan Fleisher
Jason Lietaer
Joe Lynch
Josh Tarble (Sunday only)
Matthew Sander (no afternoon round Saturday - needs early tee time Saturday and late tee time Sunday)
Joe Zucker
Ron Smith
Jon Winick
Paul Stockert
Bryan Sander
Rees Milikin
Rusty Scott
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:27:03 PM by Jason Thurman »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Criss Titschinger

Re: Midwest Mashie 2016 - Wolf Run Golf Club - Indianapolis Sept 23-25
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
YES!!!! In for Friday-Sunday, Friday Dinner, Fri/Sat lodging at Wolf. Can't wait!

I'll likely head up there on Thursday as well, and hit up some courses that aren't on the Friday selections. Because 108 holes last year wasn't enough for me apparently.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:53:30 PM by Criss Titschinger »

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:48:19 PM »
I'm bummed to say that I can't make it as I'll be on vacation in South Carolina that weekend with the family. Thanks for setting it up Jason and good luck to the West team!!
H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 04:55:32 PM »
Will this Mashie also be a co-sanctioned Buddy Up! event?

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
I'm in for the whole deal. Thanks Jason, sounds great.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »
Jason, Thanks so much for setting this up. two days at wolf sounds amazing.

Count me in for Friday-Sunday golf, and lodging at Wolf for those two nights. I will let you know about dinner in the near future

C. Sturges

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 05:09:18 PM »
Jason,
Thank you for all your hard work on this and the others!
I would like to be involved in all the activities and extras as they become know.  I would also request staying on property.

Thanks, and look forward to seeing familiar faces and putting faces to names.
chris

JJShanley

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 05:18:53 PM »
I'll see if Papa Shanley, to whom I'll send a link to this page, would like to participate.

EDIT to say that we wouldn't make it to St. Elmo's in time for dinner.  Which is sad because I'd a great dinner there back in the day (before graduate school, obvs.)
We'd stay at the lodge if possible.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:46:42 PM by JJShanley »

John McCarthy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »
I would like to play and stay at the lodge. 

This is my first gca tournament.  I am very excited.

I am not sure if I can get down in time for St. Elmo's.  I am hoping but do not know.

Thanks for putting this together, Jason.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:14:20 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Ken Fry

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »
Jason,

Thanks for putting this trip together.  I'm in for all activities and also staying at the lodge.  The Mashie Trophy will be safely secured in my front seat for the quick two hour trip from South Bend.

Looking forward to another successful title defense for Team East!!

Ken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
In for golf, lodging and shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo's on Friday night. Thanks for coordinating.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JJShanley

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »
In for golf, lodging and shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo's on Friday night. Thanks for coordinating.

"This horseradish cocktail sauce isn't that stro.....oh my God my nose my nose my nose."

Josh Tarble

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 06:06:18 PM »
Jason thanks for putting together the weekend so far.  I'm in.  No need for lodging  :)

Matthew Sander

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
Jason,

Sounds great! I'm in for all golf and two nights at the lodge. Nice work putting it together...Papa Freeman will be proud!

Oh, St. Elmo's is a given...

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 11:36:14 PM »
Jason,

I'm in as well for lodging, golf and St. Elmo's.

Thanks,
Jeff

Joe Zucker

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 11:39:12 PM »
Hi Jason,

I'm in for all of the golf.  Not sure about St. Elmo's yet and I won't take a room in the lodge.  Thanks for organizing the Mashie this year.

Joe

Bill Seitz

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 01:41:29 AM »
In for now, lodge included. Thanks, Jason.

Ron Smith

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 07:24:08 AM »
Jason, thanks for putting together a great event.  I am in for Saturday and Sunday and likely for Friday.  No lodging required though an Uber home on Saturday night is likely. 

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
In for all activities and onsite lodging (will likely be traveling and rooming with Mr. C. Sturges).  8)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:14:51 PM by Evan Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jason Lietaer

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
In for golf, lodge and the steakhouse.

Jason

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »
Jason,

Congrats on putting together what will surely be one heck of a weekend. Once again the Mashie falls on my anniversary so I will remain 0-fer. :P 

Matthew Sander

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »
Jason,

If he is welcome, my brother would be interested in joining us for golf on Saturday and Sunday. He will not need lodging.

Quick question...is 28 our max for Sat/Sun?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »
Sure Matt. I've added Scott to the list.

I don't have a hard limit for total number of players. I've told the club to plan for around 28 based on the last few years, but it's likely we can make more spots available if needed. If we go beyond 28 I'll establish a waitlist until I'm able to confirm that the tee sheet can accommodate us but I suspect we'll have some flexibility.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 11:07:18 PM »
Thanks, Jason!

Just a heads up, my brother is Bryan, Scott (GCAer) is my cousin. So many Sanders...so little time.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »
Well, I mean, Scott should definitely come too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back