News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Zack Molnar

Re: Fairways on par 3's - why so much?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
I have a new perspective on the amount of fairway grass after having the wonderful opportunity to play Wolf Point the past couple days. This is a course that has more contiguous fairway than any other course ive played. #2 rivals it, but the sandy areas break up the fairway so it does not seem as expansive. I was a huge fan of the work Mike and Don have done there with the large amount of mown grass, and the resulting playability, options, and, most importantly, fun.

I have to agree with Don on how does it make any difference on how the grass is cut? Do you think it is a worse hole with the fairway purely because of its aestetics? Or are you worried about the different cutting heights affecting the cost?

And shouldnt the respective parts of the land on the course be designed for who is most likely to use it? in this case between the tee and the green, which is far more likely to be used by high handicaps? In which case, heavy rough seems to be the least favorable option, hurting the novice golfer far more than the skilled

Jon Wiggett

Re: Fairways on par 3's - why so much?
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 02:17:40 AM »

The first hole which came to mind was Castle Stuart's 11th.  I can see both sides of the coin regarding fairway. On raised green/windy holes its probably not a bad idea to give golfers a break.  Looking at the pic below, it would be quite harsh if the fairway right didn't exist..even on this short hole.

Ciao

Sean,

funny you should chose this hole as it is the only one at CS which I do not care for. To me it is devoid of the strategy the rest of the course has. I take you point about the fairway but would add that at CS most of the fairways extend back to the front tees so this is maybe not out of character for the course. On another note and one you often point out I think the hole would be improved vastly by removing at least the front left bunker and mowing this as fairway giving a running up option to the play.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back