News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Tree Clearance - Notable examples please
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »
I'm doing a lecture on course renovations in a few weeks and i'd like to include a couple of dazzling examples of tree clearance before and afters.

So any leads will be appreciated and followed up. USA, Europe, Australia. Anywhere is fine.

I know you axe wielding zealots shall know a bunch, so please come forward!

Thanks

Robin
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

David_Tepper

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Tree Clearance - Notable examples please
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
Perfect. Thanks David

I took a look at the search function but put 'tree clearance' in so this didn't come up.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
Never heard the term "tree clearance" used in the context of a golf course. Semantics, I guess.
The funny euphemism seems to be "remediation" or "management".

Some very obvious examples for you could be:

Oakmont
Cal Club
Philly Cricket

David's inclusion of the link is a subtle way of saying, "The info is here, please do a search".... ;D
Even Google leads directly to some examples.

Neil White

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:56:34 AM »
Thanks Neil

I was just looking through that blog thanks to a link in the thread highlighted by David. Some excellent examples.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:59:30 AM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:27:39 PM by David_Tepper »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:17 PM »
Brad Klein uses an example from Fircrest in his talks on this subject. As I understand it, originally they had a hole playing directly towards a view of Mt. Rainier. At some point, they planted trees behind the hole that eventually blocked the view. Unfortunately, I played there in the rain, so did not get to see the view.

My home course has the club house on a hill with a view of Mt. Hood. But, some architect came in and suggested they plant trees behind the ninth green to provide "definition". Now we see trees from the clubhouse, like it's impossible to get views of Douglas fir trees anywhere else here in the Pacific northwest.  :'(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »
Brad Klein uses an example from Fircrest in his talks on this subject. As I understand it, originally they had a hole playing directly towards a view of Mt. Rainier. At some point, they planted trees behind the hole that eventually blocked the view. Unfortunately, I played there in the rain, so did not get to see the view.

My home course has the club house on a hill with a view of Mt. Hood. But, some architect came in and suggested they plant trees behind the ninth green to provide "definition". Now we see trees from the clubhouse, like it's impossible to get views of Douglas fir trees anywhere else here in the Pacific northwest.  :'(

Garland--
I know this is off-topic, but how is the skiing on Mount Hood in early May?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 12:57:35 PM »
Frank Pont's work provides plenty of examples.  Take a look at Le Touquet La Mer and Hardelot Les Pins (both with Patrice Boissonnas).  In England, Broadstone seems worth checking out.

Frank doesn't try to get rid of every tree, but the ones that are retained enhance course appearance w/o obstructing play.  He also does a great job at opening up long views.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »

Garland--
I know this is off-topic, but how is the skiing on Mount Hood in early May?

Probably a little slushy. Definitely need the right wax.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back