News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

First Visit to the Masters
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
I'm very excited that my wife and I will be going to the Masters for the first time this year.  We will be there Thursday.   I would to hear from the experts with some advice for a newbie.   I've heard we should buy a couple of Masters chairs on arrival and put them somewhere to sit and watch after doing some walking around.   Any recommendations on the best spots?   I'd love to get a look at every hole but know it's a huge property.  Let me hear your ideas and thanks!

jeffwarne

Re: First Visit to the Masters
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
Bill,
Congrats.
It depends upon how much you want to walk.
It's a hilly property, and without guidance or great map reading, you will struggle to find the most efficient routes.
If you truly want to see the whole course, arrive early and follow an early group with a non name player.
This will enable you to see every hole, if not every shot.
With proper management you will walk LESS than the 18 holes the players will walk and see every shot.
Bring binoculars!!

a step saving route is to watch the first hole, second tee shot and watch play right side near from  fairway bunker on #2(can see all the way down to 2 green from high vantage point). Now you're position to watch tee shot land on #3 and second shot as well as 4 tee shot and green.
If feeling spry continue to 5 and 6 , otherwise cut over to 6 green (concession stand right there a better stop than near clubhouse)
watch 7 tee shot and follow up 8 . Be on right side after second shot on 8 to catch drive on 9 and avoid walk back.
Proceed down 9 right side to 10 .
On 10 watch from behind tee and then go down left side to be in position to watch second shot and green and tee shot from behind on 11, which is the emptiest spot on the course-and wel worth hanging out(note if you go right side on 10 it's a LONG walk out to 11 fairway now and awkwardly back)
proceed down 11, watch 12 and 13 tee shot with bleachers or area around 12 tee/13 fway.
Move ahead to 13 green and take a seat in the bleachers and watch a few groups go by. There is always room in the bleachers there-can also watch 14 tee shot from there if decent seat. A concession stand is located behind the bleachers.
When moving on,If tired cut over to 15 green behind or 16 tee.
If energetic follow another group down 14 left side  to 15. Stay on left side on 15 for easy access to 16 tee/fairway then watch group up 17(stay left on 17) and finally 18.

Pay attention at crosswalks to avoid being trapped on wrong side of fairway which can double or triple the walk.

I've never done the chair thing as there are often spots in the bleachers and I like to move around-and I'm also not crazy about walking a long way to place chair and have to return to that spot.
It does make sense if you want to be on 18 green or only can handle walking a few holes for physical reasons, but a bleacher would work as well for this. 13,15,8 my favorites.

Have fun.
You can't take your phone in but there are phones there available to use free of
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:08:44 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »
Did you get the tickets in Havana?
Consider entering at the 5th hole. If you are going to plant the chairs, I'd go to 16.
Since it is Thursday, hold off buying souvenirs (other than the chairs) until you leave the properties.
Pimento sandwiches. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:15:21 PM »
Bill,
The chair thing used to be a trick the old dudes would use to bring in more people.  Odds were if you sat down and never moved you would not be noticed if you had no badge.  So four people would go in ,place their four chairs and one would take out  the tickets of the other three and bring in three more people.  It worked/works.  Odds are one can sit most of the day and never be noticed w/o badge.  It still happens....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
Bill,
The chair thing used to be a trick the old dudes would use to bring in more people.  Odds were if you sat down and never moved you would not be noticed if you had no badge.  So four people would go in ,place their four chairs and one would take out  the tickets of the other three and bring in three more people.  It worked/works.  Odds are one can sit most of the day and never be noticed w/o badge.  It still happens....

I am an old dude but not smart enough to be that devious!

Thanks for the good ideas, guys.  Jeff, I like the idea of not lugging those chairs around. 😀

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »
If you are arriving early (and you should arrive as early as you can), you can put chairs anywhere you want.  They don't have to be Masters chair (but they cannot have arms).  We took chairs that doubled as walking canes, which was nice.

Saving a spot at 16 means you won't see any play for at least an hour and a half after the first tee time.  We put ours behind the second green, which offers all sorts of approach shots, chips, bunker play, long putts; it's pretty central to several other fun spots, just a short walk away.  Of course, you could save a spot at a later hole (like 16), then watch earlier holes on foot.  We just did it the other way around.

It's easier than you think to get a seat at Amen Corner unless you wait until noon.  The food service and restroom complex in that area has to be seen to be believed..

I also recommend hanging out around the practice facility.  It's a great way to get up close and to enjoy dozens of players and caddies in a short period of time.

You'll hear that the merchandise tent is best visited first thing, but that's tough to do on your first visit.

Take binoculars but don't expect to see birds, squirrels, or pine cones.  There are none.

WW

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »
I've seen pine cones there. Squirrels and birds? No.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Bill,

I challenge you to find a weed on the property!  ;D

I enjoyed watching the pros at the range.

If you can, take a look at the par3 course.

Defenitely have a pimento cheese sandwich.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:44:29 PM »
Bill,

When we first starting visiting we would get there early and walk the course backwards, stopping occasionally along the way to sit in the stands and have a sandwich or a beer. Seeing the course this way avoids a lot of the uphill climbs, especially if you use the walkways to cut across the far away corners... especially out at five. Although, as has been pointed out to me when I've complained about Tom Doak's courses seeming to have too many up hill holes, by the end of the day when you are leaving the main gate it's a zero sum gain on elevation!  ;)  But, to me, it always seemed an easier walk going backwards.

One tip on chairs... with this being your first trip I don't think I would consider using my own. You don't really know yet where you want to put them or how to navigate the course to find your spot. My advice is to look for empty parked chairs as you walk around the course and have a seat. No one will take issue with you sitting in their chairs if they have parked them for later use. If the owners arrive, just thank them for the opportunity and move on... no problem. I've done it 50 times and had my chairs used in the same way. Just don't move them!

Where patrons choose to park and watch the action is interesting. My favorite spots for approach shots and putting are the stands behind 8, anywhere behind the 10th green that allows you to see the second shots arriving, the hillocks behind the 2nd green, and the right side of 15 (if the hole is cut on that side). For tee shots I like #1, the right side of 10th fairway in the landing zone, and the stands behind the 12th tee. The one place I've never been that looks good is the stands beside the 16th tee... everyone seems to be enjoying themselves over there and it's in the shade.  8)

Don't forget to carve out some time to sit in the stands at the practice area. Early or late there will be some players out there.

Finally, since this is your first visit I would suggest that you get there very early and watch the ceremonial tee shots to open the tournament. Palmer has already called it quits... Nicklaus won't be far behind.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

MClutterbuck

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »
No need for chairs! The grandstands are better, top of 15, where you can see 16 as well is great. Also, you can sit on any of the chairs on any green until the owners shows up. They normally dont. Grandstand on 12 is also fantastic.

Spend some time on 1, tough, tough green.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
Don't buy more than one shirt or hat. Nobody cares that you attended the tournament. Least impressive golf gear on earth.

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
Buy whatever you want... 

If you get there early enough, I like putting my chair on 16 green.  I also like watching from behind the 6th green during the tournament - there is usually enough room that you can watch players hit their shots onto 6 and then walk over and see them tee off on 7.  Once the players start coming through 16 I usually just hang out there.

Earlier advice on 2 is good as well.

-Joe

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »
When is an appropriate time to wear you Masters gear? If you're not attending douche by douchewest it is going to be just another closet jockey coming from way in the back. I have one myself, from 1997.

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
Mr. Kav, you just can't help yourself, can you?

C. Sturges

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
Bill,
As others have mentioned it is hillier than you will expect, make sure you and your wife wear comfortable walking shoes.  Nothing worse than sore feet.  I would take the recommendation of following an early group all the way around, just to feel how the course moves from hole to hole is very special.
Have a wonderful time!
chris

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »

HE'S RIGHT....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »

HE'S RIGHT....

Who cares what someone buys or wears from the Masters?

MClutterbuck

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
You save so much $$$ on cheap food and beer that it is nice to use your extra cash on a nice shirt, even with the Masters logo along the ANGC logo.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »
Yes, buy one shirt, I'm glad I did and look forward to holding it once again when I sell my house. Seriously, where do you wear Masters gear?

I have a friend who last year bought $10,000 worth of the stuff. It was disaster even though I do appreciate that he gave me a nice hat. We made so much fun of his little costume, headcovers, shoes and miscellaneous logoes that I doubt that he ever wore any of it again.  Look, we all get excited in that tent, we all spend a little too much thinking those hallowed grounds will somehow transport us to a better place. This is an advice thread, my advice is to tread lightly and get out of there with your wallet and pride intact.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »
Great news Bill. 

Honestly, this is a day you can't screw up unless you walk and worry yourself to death.  Don't bother with chairs - these are some of the best bleachers in sports.

This plan worked well for me: 

Be at the gate near the range when it opens.   You can check out the range on your way in. Don't bother hanging out there - this just in, they all hit it high, straight and a mile.  These guys are a dime a dozen - there is only one Augusta National Golf Club.

Stroll at a leisurely pace and grab a seat in the bleachers behind the first green in time for the first pairing.  Plenty of seats so relax a while and watch a few groups come through.  Step behind the bleachers if you choose to watch tee shots at the second.  A very intimidating drive and as close as you'll get to the players - there will be nobody back there.

Walk the first five holes back up to the bleachers behind the 5th green, grab a seat and relax a while as a few groups play through.  Tremendous short game interest here.

Walk the 6th, 7th and 8th then grab a seat in the bleachers behind 8.  Close to the right rail or the back row gives you a chance to watch the tee shots at 9 disappear over the hill.  Relax a while and watch the pitch shots to the 8th green.

Walk up 9, then down 10 and 11 to the 12th tee.  Tarry if you like, but I recommend heading up the 13th and, you guessed it, grabbing a seat - front row is way cool in the bleachers hard against the left hand side of the 14th tee.  From there you can watch the 2nd and 3rd shots into 13 and the tee shot at 14.  Relax and stay a while. 

Walk up the right hand side of the 14th - there are small bleachers right of the 14th green - perfect for a little afternoon shade if it's hot.  Nobody will be there.  Watch action on this incredible green. 

Walk down the 15th - there are bleachers left of the pond where you can watch the long seconds and short pitches.  Relax and stay while.   Stay late in the day, then move on to the 16th for a few final groups.  Exit through the nearby gate behind the 5th green and head for the car.  You will have missed only the 17th and 18th holes in your walk.

I recommend a minimum of one hour in each bleachers - +/- if you have favorite players at or near the one hour mark.

Relax and have fun.

Mike

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:48:32 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Gallant

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
Bill,

When I arrived, I went straight for the back-9. I was with a friend, and it was neat to point out all the history around Amen Corner. In the morning light, it was an enjoyable walk, and eerily quiet.

Otherwise, be on your toes and ready to catch a double-eagle ball once said player flips it into the patrons. Sure way to get a tee time. Remember, like a center-fielder, always easy to charge forward than back-peddle.

MCirba

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
Bill,

Can you take down those ridiculous trees planted in recent years along 11 and 15 while you're out there?   Thanks! 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
Bill,

Can you take down those ridiculous trees planted in recent years along 11 and 15 while you're out there?   Thanks!

Agreed,

I'm guessing if you went chain saw hand, ala Bruce Campbell from The Evil Dead....they wouldn't even notice!  ;D

MCirba

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
Also quite useful for getting past the Pinkertons I'd imagine, Kalen.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Doug_Feeney

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »
That is a LOT of mostly good advice!  I've been ~15 times now and have to say I've never stuck to any plan for what I was going to do.  Once you get in and start watching golf it all changes.  We usually plan where to put our chairs (typically 18 or 16 green) and then wing it after that.  Never been disappointed!  Of course my attitude may be/have been different if I knew it was my only day at the Masters...

Don't pass a bathroom with no line - when you really have to go there may be quite a line.  With that said, these are the most efficient bathroom lines in the world! 

There is a check-stand just before the main gate on the left that will check your cell phone or your wife's bag.  Many days we don't go straight back to the hotel and it is nice to have my phone after leaving the course in the evening.  If you park on site you can leave in your car obviously, but we are typically taking the hotel shuttle.

Also there are free phones (free US calls) throughout the course - mostly by the main concession stand near the merchandise shop.  Write down any numbers you may need and bring them with you.

If your friends give you sh@t about wearing a Masters shirt or hat, introduce them to JK and then get new friends.  With that said, I would recommend wearing only one piece at a time. 

Chairs - I like the chairs.  As I said we typically put them down and then leave them.  Write your name on the card in sharpie or use a business card - they all look the same :).  I've left umbrellas, rain gear and jackets either on my chair or in the sleeve the chair comes in and nothing has ever been bothered - nowhere else would I leave expensive gear and not worry at all.  It's nice to be able to have somewhere like that for me.  There have been years we have never gotten back to the chairs but that's ok also.  With that said...take your time on spot selection.  All views look great when nobody is sitting in front of you!  We'll have buddies sit in the empties in front of us to see how the view changes.  And make sure you can see the hole - not the bottom of the flag, but the hole.  Brutal when the flagstick comes out and you can't see.

Binoculars are a very good idea.  Let's you see action from a distance, check scoreboards, and is surprising good for watching putts when you are a bit far from the hole. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back