News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JJShanley

The History of Measuring Yardage?
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:50:05 PM »
When did we start measuring the yardages for holes? 

Where did that measurement first get posted?  Scorecards?  Tee markers? 

Did scorecards predate yardage measurement?

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: The History of Measuring Yardage?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
Interesting questions, to which I don't know the answers.

Yardages only apply in the US, Canada and GB and I, but most continental European countries (and I to a degree) use metres. I wonder if they always have or if those old boys playing at Pau in the 19th century used yards.

JJShanley

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »
Interesting questions, to which I don't know the answers.

Yardages only apply in the US, Canada and GB and I, but most continental European countries (and I to a degree) use metres. I wonder if they always have or if those old boys playing at Pau in the 19th century used yards.

Our egos would prefer we measured our courses in yards.

Do you prefer "Brah, I hit a 140 yard gap wedge" or "I'd say that I hit that new fangled wedge 128 continental meters."

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
Ireland - typically - has about half its courses in metres and half in yards.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »
     Measuring yardages on a particular hole on a particular course has historically been attributed to an amateur from California by the name of Gene Andrews. Mr. Andrews was a fine amateur who participated in many respected national events such as the US Amateur and the Public links . The yardage book was born with Mr. Andrews and I recall that he influenced Mr. Nicklaus when Jack was an amateur. There is probably some more to this so if any GCA'S can add to it, much appreciated. Don't know if Mr . Andrews is still alive or not.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »
When did we start measuring the yardages for holes? 

Where did that measurement first get posted?  Scorecards?  Tee markers? 

Did scorecards predate yardage measurement?

Yardages for holes were measured as early as 1821 as indicated by course map for TOC. 

I am guessing yardages were first marked on course maps.

Early scorecards (Leith Thistle Golf Club 1822 or so) simply might be a  single line marked for each stroke next to a hole number

Refer to Ed Oden's  "A Compilation of Routing Maps...." for  map from Scott Macpherson's book  "St. Andrews The Evolution of The Old Course"

Zack Molnar

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
     Measuring yardages on a particular hole on a particular course has historically been attributed to an amateur from California by the name of Gene Andrews. Mr. Andrews was a fine amateur who participated in many respected national events such as the US Amateur and the Public links . The yardage book was born with Mr. Andrews and I recall that he influenced Mr. Nicklaus when Jack was an amateur. There is probably some more to this so if any GCA'S can add to it, much appreciated. Don't know if Mr . Andrews is still alive or not.
According to this article, Deane Beaman actually encouraged Jack to do this

http://www.augusta.com/masters/story/masters/yardage-book-authors-rewrote-game

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back