News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

Well, 2005 will be done in a few hours.  I am writing from Barnbougle in Tasmania where it is about 5:45 in the morning.  Can't wait to go play these two courses. 

There has been a never ending stream of "rankings" chatter on this board for years.   I was a GD panelist for a time and have been a GM panelist for quite a few years now.   A few thoughts on the journey, and the rankings. 

The rankings are fun. The discussion is fun.  They are highly imperfect, of course.  But 20-plus years ago, if I hadn't opened up GOLF magazine and started perusing the list, I never would have gone on this incredible journey.   Incredible places, for sure, but what we really remember are the people along the way.   The wonderful element of golf is that we interact with others, and share the experience, in a way that is so unique.   Without this game, and this admittedly silly quest, would I have ever talked to Ganton members about their experiences during WWII? Would I have had dinner at an unmarked steakhouse in Kobe, Japan? Would I have tried to translate French to English and meters to yards for my traveling companion in France as two lovely older ladies moved us around Chantilly. I remember a dusty courtyard at a Barossa Valley winery 20 years ago, where we bought some wonderful wine that we devoured with a Pizza.  And all the non-Top-rated courses along the way.  There still are gems out there, where nobody will recognize the name when you get home, but you can find that serenity, beauty or challenge.  And, of course, the kindness and hospitality afforded by so many who share the love of this wonderful game.

I think the GOLF rankings served a very important purpose. I know that is a big statement. But, if Norman Klaparda and Bob McCoy and our fearless leader here (and so many others) had not gone out of their way to see everything and started giving recognition to courses that were more quirky than brawny, more thoughtful, less pre-programmed, more respectful of the player, then we probably would not have emerged as successfully from the Dark Age as we did and we wouldn't have all this great work being done by Doak, Coore, Crenshaw and Hanse and so many others. These guys would always have been good, but would they have gotten the commercial opportunities without the recognition afforded them by GM first?

I have many disagreements with the current list, but sometimes we learn more seeing courses we don't like. One of the biggest challenges to compiling such a list in a truly "accurate" fashion is there is no right answer.  I have been constantly amazed over the years at how highly ranked some courses can be, or how overlooked others can be.  But, overall, the results have been a pretty good indicator of what's right with the golf architecture world.   Let's face it, there have never been more than 40 or 50 "Top 100" courses in the world.  There are another 200 after that clear top echelon that can all make a case, but at the end of the day, courses that leave that indelible mark on one's memory are still few and far between.   

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:39:10 PM by Jeff_Lewis »

Greg Gilson

Hi Jeff, have a great day today and well done for persevering. I look forward to hearing a report on how you feel this evening after "it" is over.

Alan Ritchie

will be interested to hear how you rank them on your personal list. enjoy!

Peter Pallotta

Jeff - that's a wise and lovely post. Congratulations on completing the quest, and hope you finished at Barnbougle in great style! I'm happy that you've had the chance to play all those wonderful courses and to have the experiences you mention.

Peter

Steve Lang

8) Jeff did you have a little cheese sandwich at Ganton?

It sounds like quite a trip you've been on, but I have to figure out, ... you reference 20 years ago and lists from 2003 2005 and its 2016, I just woke up from a nap, but am I missing something??  Please connect the timeline's start, was your rating started in 1996?

I have to challenge you on whether we'd have the current works at hand if GD & GM weren't pointing out architectural values.. and what about GW, Brad Klein is ceratinly not chopped liver!  Weren't the mag's competitions really intended to sell, sell, sell?

Now, where off to next?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Terry Lavin

I played Riviera with Jeff a decade ago. Oh my, where have the years gone. Well done my friend. You're a good man. See you in Long Island soon.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rick Emerson

Congratulations, I'm happy for you. I just played Barnbougle and Lost Farm two weeks ago. I look forward to seeing what you thought of them.
Blessings,

David Wuthrich

Congrats!

Spot on with your post.

It has been great to get to know and play golf with you over the years.

Here is to many more years of good golf and good friends that we meet along the way!

DW

John Kavanaugh

And to think raters quit over a lousy $250 surcharge.  Priceless memories, congrats!!!

David Davis

Jeff, great story! Congrats, I'd highly agree that's it's about the experiences and a brilliant excuse to travel to places you might not otherwise venture. In that sense perhaps the list only provides an initial motivation and framework but I highly doubt it's framework does anything to indicate a finish line. New great courses will come and as long as we are able and willing the world is not that big a place.

Hope you enjoyed your rounds. I too would be interested in your reflections both right after completion and then 3 months and 6 months out.

Safe travels!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Bill_McBride

How many courses on the current top 100 have you not played?   You have an ever moving target!

Joel_Stewart

I have many disagreements with the current list, but sometimes we learn more seeing courses we don't like.

You've joined a very small group of avid golfers.  Congratulations.  One thing that is unique in your case is that you have a young family where Norman and McCoy accomplished this primarily when they were retired.

I agree that your post is spot on and I need to follow your advice.  I just won't go to certain courses because of the architect or some other factor and need to understand that maybe I can learn something from courses that I've avoided. 

Jeff_Lewis

Thanks to all for the kind words and good wishes.   To clarify, it was sometime in the mid-early 90s that I got interested in seeing some of the places listed in the magazine, but I never set out to finish the list until recently.   Like a few others out there, I was stuck on Augusta for some time, before good fortune smiled on me.  That's why the trip down to New Zealand and Australia cleared the way for me to finish 2003 and 2005. 

I have a few left on the current list.   Ellerston (impossible to access, and probably I will never play it - don't think a truly "private" course like that should even be rated).   Also, Thailand, Shanqin Bay, Cabot, Oitavos, Hague (have played elsewhere in Netherlands, but not that one), Trump Scotland and Waterville.

I am very excited about seeing both Cabot courses this late summer or early fall.   And I hope to play the European courses before the next list.  But unlikely to get to Asia before we reset. 

People were asking impressions from the trip.  Tara Iti is a really special place.  Remarkable piece of property carried out beautifully by the Renaissance crew.  The Barnbougle courses are absolutely as advertised, though I was a bit surprised to find that my favorite 9 holes on the property was probably the front at Lost Farm.  Cape Wickham is very very good. We played it in opposite winds and the course was playable in both directions.  We literally saw a 180 degree shift from one day to the next.   Many reports suggest that King Island might be too windy to host golfers on a regular basis, but that was not what we saw in our two days there. 

If it is not too windy, there are about 100 golf courses waiting to be built.   I have never seen anything to compare to the amount of fantastic property that is on King Island waiting for a mower and a few flag sticks. 

Jeff_Lewis

And David - I will be in touch when its time to go to the Hague!

David Davis

And David - I will be in touch when its time to go to the Hague!

Your welcome anytime, just let me know. Actually can't believe you missed it the last time you were here. I can't remember if you had seen Utrechtse De Pan but if not that's a must play when you come back for Royal Hague.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back