News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

Brickyard Crossing, in Indianapolis, IN, is a Pete-Dye renovation that resides next to and inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Four holes of the course lie within the track itself providing a unique and memorable golf environment. There have been other courses discussed here that are part of similarly unique settings that ultimately add to the experience. In fact, I found the setting to enhance the course and experience beyond many of the flaws the course may have.

The features around the course are unmistakable Dye. Railroad ties, angles, visual noise, and the use of water as a decision maker are all on display. There is also a surprising amount of movement in the land given the perfectly flat nature of the surrounds. Ultimately, the undulation is man-made, but it makes for some challenging and visually appealing holes, most notably some fantastic short par 4s.

The greens and their surrounding slopes are a primary challenge as you’ll see in many of the photos. Greens complexes at 2, 3, 7, 9, 11, 14, and 18 stand out for me as exceptional in how they defend their holes and provide character.

The property itself lends itself to some inherent flaws. The footprint of the property is quite small and as you’ll see in the satellite image posted below, there is not much room between holes. There are several instances of awkward backtracking between holes and other examples of clumsiness in the routing. Again, I’m sure it would have been difficult to avoid these issues given the size of the property.

Another criticism I have is that there are several holes that are very similar. For example, holes 5 and 6 are almost identical in shape. Granted, one is a long par 4 (453 tips) and the other is a reachable par 5 (525 tips), but they are nearly the same hole.  Three of the par threes (while very attractive) have a similar visual of a hazard running parallel to one side of the green (not to mention similar yardages of 206, 204, and 192).

Here are some pics and descriptions…Yardages are from the Gold and Blue tees. Also, some of the early photos are pretty hazy due to the extreme early morning humidity during our visit.

Hole 1 (Par 4 365, 353)

A modest/straightforward par 4 with a receptive green that is open in front.

Hole 2 (Par 5 560, 510)

I really liked this par 5 from the tees we played. From 510 it was quite reachable. There is a bunker inside the dogleg on the left that can be carried to leave a mid to long iron second shot. However, a severely sloped bank awaits shots that drift short right of the green. I like the severity of the feature considering you’re either going for a par 5 in two or hitting a short wedge for a third. If the same feature were awaiting on a long par 4 it may be too much.

From the tee

Going for the green in two. The severe slope short and right of the green isn’t truly represented in the photos.

A view from short left of the green. Any ball hit to the right of this hole location could easily feed off of the green to the right.

Looking back from behind the green.

Hole 3 (Par 4 365, 342)

This was possibly my favorite hole on the course. Like many here, I’m a sucker for good short par 4s. This is a great example of strategy off the tee to gain a visual reward. A tee ball down the left hand side of the fairway will still leave a short approach, but your view will be entirely obscured by a large mound.

From the tee.

Hit it down the left side, and here is your view.

Or flirt with the bunker on the right and you are left with this angle.

The view from atop the mound on the left.

Here is a look at one of Dye’s bulk headed bunkers. One question I have regarding this bunker is why is it so recessed from the green? Nevertheless, it is eye catching and I don’t think the hole suffers greatly.

From behind the green.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:35:51 PM by Matthew Sander »

John Mayhugh

Re: Brickyard Crossing (Pete Dye; Indianapolis, IN - Holes 1-3 posted)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:27:57 AM »
Thanks for posting these photos.  I've never made the two hour trek up to play there. 

I've always liked Dye's ability to create interest on flat land, even if sometimes he goes overboard.  That greenside bunker on the 3rd would seem to be primarily for intimidation.  With the blind shot from the center of the fairway, it also would seem to affect one's perception of where the green actually is.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
Thanks for the photos Matt. It's been quite a few years since I've played it, but I remember enjoying the course at the Brickyard quite a bit. Sure it's a tourist trap, sure there are even better public Dye courses in town (the Fort), but there are some quality holes out there as evidenced by the first three holes worth of pictures you've posted (especially #3).

Dye gets a lot of attention for his big, bold designs...but we don't give him enough credit for some of his more subtle designs, which I generally enjoy playing a lot.

Also, I'm not a car racing fan in the least bit but the museum at the Brickyard is absolutely incredible and worthy of a couple hours of time post round. Some of the classic European race cars on display are very cool, in addition to the old Indy and Nascar, cars.   
H.P.S.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
John,

I like your theory regarding the greenside bunker. If you used its placement as an indicator of where the green is, you're not likely to hit a very good approach. In fact, the slopes to the right of the green would feed your ball toward and/or into that bunker.

Pat,

I agree with you regarding some of Dye's subtle designs. I've not played it, but it sounds like The Golf Club is certainly one of his most subtle (and best) designs. I would probably argue that Brickyard Crossing isn't one of his more subtle works. The land is nondescript, but he used some bold features throughout. On the other hand, The Fort (which I'll be posting some pics of some time soon) is subtly designed, but resides on a much more varied/severe piece of property.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:55:28 AM by Matthew Sander »

Matthew Sander

Re: Brickyard Crossing (Pete Dye; Indianapolis, IN - Holes 1-7 posted)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
Hole 4 (Par 3 206, 194)

The first of the par threes. This and three of the others have a similar look (and yardage) from the tee. They are attractive holes, but all have a hazard running along one side of the green. Number 4 has a stream running along the left hand side.

Hole 5 (Par 4 453, 405)

The first of two consecutive holes that are quite similar. This is a long par 4 where you choose how much of the large bunker to carry. The far right line off the tee will leave you a better angle to a green that snakes back to the left.

The approach. As you can see, if you are further left than this location, you are left with the visual intimidation of carrying the bunker on your approach.

Hole 6 (Par 5 525, 518)

Again, very similar in shape and strategy to hole 5. However, the drive only has to carry primary rough as opposed to the long strip bunker used on hole 5.

A view from the approach. Here is a good example where the steep faces make the bunker look more intimidating.

One of the steep faces in play.

Hole 7 (Par 3 190, 184)

The first hole inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This par three is essentially an island tabletop green with steep slopes on every side. The edges of the green are also rounded off to feed down the slopes. It takes a fairly precise shot to hold the green.

The tunnel leading inside the track.

This view reminds you you aren't in a normal golf environment.

From the tee.

Several views of the green and the surrounds.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:50:48 AM by Matthew Sander »

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »
I think that's actually a pretty neat par 3, even if the green is probably a little too severe for a 190yard approach.
H.P.S.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »
Just going by the photo i'd say that par 3 reminds me of the 14th at Kiawah. Am I on to something?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Matthew Sander

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
Matt,

There do seem to be some significant similarities. I haven't played Kiawah, but from looking at photos, the green seems to be elevated in a similar fashion. The par three at BC doesn't have the menacing bunker front left, but it does have a deep pit bunker back left of the green. Are all of the banks shaved at Kiawah? They are at BC and make for difficult and imaginative recoveries...

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  I really enjoyed my round here and it was a great way to incorporate the speedway and golf together for a first time visitor to Indianapolis. 

Matt Kardash

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »
Matthew,

Yeah, Kiawah has shaved banks.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
Cool pics. Though I played the Fort once, I've never played BC. Possible location for the Mashie next spring??

Matthew Sander

Re: Brickyard Crossing (Pete Dye; Indianapolis, IN - Holes 1-9 posted)
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
Hole 8 (Par 4 448, 420)

A hole we've seen many times from Pete Dye. However, it never fails to mess with your mind on the tee. What he does with these that others don't (as often) is straighen out the angle of the tee shot. The hole bends gently left, but the fairway is not as diagonal as many versions of this hole. For me, the straightness of the hole is even more intimidating than one set at a more abrupt angle.

From the tee.

The approach. Strategically, it may work a bit better if the bunkers right of the green squeezed the opening a bit more. As it is, the reward for challenging the water is minimized. Any drive that finds the fairway has an open fronted green awaiting...so it is quite playable.

Looking back.

Hole 9 (par 4 382, 371)

This par 4 bends gently from left to right. There are small bunkers cut into each one of the mounds that line the fairway and green surrounds, totalling 24. This approach may come across as a little gimmicky, but still serves as an effective means of challenging the player to pick a line off the tee and execute in terms of distance and direction.

The green is crowned and slopes off to all sides, so it is effectively very small.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:44:33 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matthew Sander

Re: Brickyard Crossing (Pete Dye; Indianapolis, IN - Holes 1-11 posted)
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
Hole 10 (Par 4 346, 340)

From the back two sets of tees, the tee shot is over one of the track's service roads. There is a large bunker along the left set an an angle to the tee shot. Pick your line and bite off as much as you'd like. A draw will take advantage of the significant downward and right to left slope of the fairway.

It may be difficult to see, but check out that back left hole location.

This view shows the back left finger of green where the hole was cut that day.

Hole 11 (Par 4 445, 425)

Par 4 with another angled tee shot, this time it is over water.

This green has a tightly mown slope to the left that can bu used to feed balls to hole locations while avoiding the bunker right of the green. However, you have to hit that slope with a fade to use it correctly.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:57:35 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matthew Sander

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »
Mark S.,

I've been of the opinion that Indy would be an excellent Mashie venue. There are so many good publics in and around town with variety. We recently had a three day trip (The Fort, Trophy Club, Brickyard Crossing, and Prairie View) to the area and stayed at one of the converted Officer's homes at The Fort. The accomodations were very old and showed their age, but they had some charm as well. Indy is one of those few cities whose public courses may be nearly as good as its private clubs.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:08:12 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matt Kardash

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »
When you look at modern Dye designs like Whistling Straits, Barefoot, French Lick, etc, it makes this course look downright subtle. All I keep thinking to myself while looking at these pics is "it doesn't look THAT busy, practically restrained." But honestly, I think many years has passed between now and the Dye 80s style era, and I think the shock value of the few over the top visuals is mostly gone and I am able to see the bones of the course better, and it makes me realize that there isn't as much crazy stuff going on as I would have thought 10 or 15 years ago.

Am I the only one?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:49:46 PM by matt kardash »

Matthew Sander

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
Matt K.,

You are probably right. This course is a mix of some of his bold features mixed with subtle holes has well. I think the scale of the site would in no way allow for wall to wall extreme shaping. I've seen some of Dye's more subtle work (Plum Creek, The Fort, etc...) and this course uses much more bold or busy features than those. However, when compared to Whistling Straits or his French Lick course, it does look low-key by comparison.

Matthew Sander

Re: Brickyard Crossing (Pete Dye; Indianapolis, IN - Holes 1-13 posted)
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Hole 12 (Par 5 565, 520)

This is an S-shaped double dogleg par 5. In order to have an open go at the green you really need to hook it around the corner. Otherwise, you'll have to play a considerable fade to reach the green in two. As a three shot hole, you would want to lay up as far left as possible to open up the green for your approach. The green becomes quite shallow if approached from the right.

Hole 13 (Par 3 192, 175)

Another par three with a hazard running up the side of the green, this time on the right. From the tee, with the grandstands in the background, it is a really attractive hole in a non-traditional way.

A view of the deep left bunker that is lined above with railroad ties. They are well left of and above the bunker so they are primarily an aesthetic feature.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:42:47 PM by Matthew Sander »

Cory Brown

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 10:47:38 PM »
Great pictures.  I went to F1 race at Indy in 02 and 04.  It was the least interested I had ever been in a golf course.  Not to say anything bad about the course, but the spectacle next door definitely was a bit distracting.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
I like a lot of Dye's lower key work and this course looks fairly appealing to me overall. Indy's public courses are very good, especially for the money. They don't match up with Wolf Run and Crooked Stick, but I do think its fair to say that they measure up with the rest of the private clubs that I've seen. Meridian Hills is still very good. Not a fan of The Hawthornes at all.

Matthew Sander

Re: Brickyard Crossing (Pete Dye; Indianapolis, IN - Holes 1-15 posted)
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 10:09:51 AM »
Hole 15 (Par 4 311, 298)

Another fun half par, driveable par 4. This lies at the northern boundary of the property. It resides on flat terrain, and the fairway is actually quite generous. The hole would require a little more thought if the small bunker in the fairway was repositioned about 15 yards to the left. As it is, there is really no reason to try to hit to the fairway right of the bunker.

It is a pretty nasty little bunker though, and if your tee shot finds the front half of it, you probably won't have a shot to the green.

Looking back...unfortunately, I didn't get a very good shot of the green. It is one of the more severely undulating greens on the course. Finding the green with your drive could leave a very difficult two putt.

Hole 15 (Par 5 545, 531)

15 probably seems a little cramped to most. OB lurks just off the left side of the fairway. However, the feature running up the right side is just a ravine with short rough. You can find your ball and play out of the ravine, albeit a blind second.

What is left after a long drive is a look that is very similar to some of the par 3s.  If played as a three shot hole, the layup needs to be played short of the broken ground and hazard, or the player can attempt to carry it to get closer to the green and open up the angle.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
Matthew:

Thank you so much for posting these pictures, they brought back a lot of memories.  I played the Brickyard more than 30 times back when I lived in Indy.  Architecturally, I think the course has some interesting features but I am not certain (now that I have seen so many more courses) that it offers anything unique.  The setting, however, is.  Playing golf while race cars zoom by at 230mph is quite an experience... I am not sure if it is a good or bad experience...but it is an experience for certain.

Matthew, as I recall, the shaping on parts of the course looked remarkably artificial..you haven't posted the 18th hole yet but isn't there a very unnatural mound on the left?  It has been 15 years since my last visit and perhaps things have evolved.

I agree that Indy and surrounds has lots of good public golf.  It seems to me the Brickyard would fall somewhere in the middle in terms of quality. The Fort, for example,  has much more interesting natural land movement.  In fact, I was astounded by the property the first time I saw it...central Indiana is mainly flat, but the Fort is anything but.

Thanks again for taking the time to put these up,

Bart

Matthew Sander

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
Bart,

I'm glad these pics have hit home with you and it is my pleasure. I agree with most of your comments. Playing in the shadow, and inside of, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is quite an experience. It does, rightfully so, overshadow the golf. It is one of those unique "non-golf" golf environments that guarantees an enjoyable time. In fact, I went into our round there with (perhaps unfairly) relatively low expectations. I knew that the property was pretty tiny and that much of the course may look contrived. Maybe it was because of my expectations that I enjoyed BC as much as I did.

You do have a point about the shaping in some areas of the course. The local terrain is obviously so flat that any significant undulation must be artificial. What makes it a little disjointed is that several of the holes have some significant movement while others are much more typical of the flat surrounds. Again, I think because of my expectations for the routing, I approached my round there more as an assessment of the individual holes as opposed to an overall view of the cohesiveness of the routing. In doing that, I found quite a few really strong holes.

To your specific question regarding hole 18 - yes, there is still the massive hillside that runs the entire length of the left side. If I'm not mistaken, this was done largely to serve as bleacher-like seating for galleries for professional events, notably the senior tour event that used to be there. I'll be posting pics of the last few holes fairly soon...hopefully...

Lastly, I agree that The Fort has a much more varied piece of land and it helps the overall product. I do think though that BC uses some of Dye's engineered handiwork well in some places. So I think he succeeded in bringing some interest to a site with ordinary terrain.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:55:32 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matthew Sander

Re: Brickyard Crossing (Pete Dye; Indianapolis, IN - All 18 holes posted)
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »
Hole 16 (Par 4 435, 415)

Mid length par 4 that runs parallel to a wetland hazard. Again, the decision off the tee is how aggressively to challenge the hazard on the left.

Looking back...

Hole 17 (Par 3 204, 183)

Another par three with a hazard running diagonally across the hole and alongside the green. Visually it is quite similar to hole 13. However, this green is one of the largest on the course and has plenty of movement.

Hole 18 (par 4 457, 437)

A strong finishing hole with a diagonal tee shot and hazard down the right. If you take too conservative a line and go through the fairway, you'll be left either in a bunker or with an awkward stance from the rough.

As Bart mentioned earlier, the left side of the hole has been built up to form a very large stadium style hillside.  

A view of the approach. Another very large green, this one has a lone bunker punched into the front that asks the player to consider which side of the fairway would be best for the approach.

Looking back shows this bunker behind the green which is hidden from the fairway

One last reminder that you're playing in a very different environment...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:43:32 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matt Kardash

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 07:32:55 AM »
I think that is a neat version of the prototypical Dye 18th. Much more interesting to me than the flat ones that just curve around a lake.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back