News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Ring of Kerry / Ballybunion
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »
Heading over the first week of July. What are the courses we don't want to miss?

Renting a home and hope to experience some great golf.

What courses stand out?

Thanks,  ed

We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Michael Graham

Re: Ring of Kerry / Ballybunion
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »
I hope a certain Mr Mucci doesn't see this post.  :o

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
Dooks, Waterville, Ballybunion Old, Tralee, and Lahinch are the can't miss courses. Everything else is good but not great.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »
I hope a certain Mr Mucci doesn't see this post.  :o

Not looking for access,  this is a one and done trip. I don't want to be sitting in the airport on the way home and hear we missed the best course since beer was invented.

Besides I have been married for 43 years, he can yell and type in whatever color he wants, I have been to the mountain of being yelled at, and survived.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »
Castlegregory followed with the drive over Connor Pass to a nice dinner in Dingle is a fine afternoon/evening combo. Neat little 9 hole course worth a stop in my opinion.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »
Jim

I can't comment on any of these courses but like the idea. Playing a low key but fun course can often be the better experience, particularly if you are spending time in an area.

Niall

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
Also heading to Ireland as son is moving to Cork to be with his fiancee.  Planning on playing Dooks and Lahinch, as hopefully there will be many visits in the future.  Hate to see him leave the US but as a golfer this is not all bad news...

Anyway if anyone wants to offer up reasonable B & B's and restaurants that would be great.

Thanks!

Ash Towe

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »
Ballybunion Old

Lahinch

Both worth multiple plays.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:56:52 PM »
The courses have been covered. I second Connor Pass but have a drink in Dingle and see the bee hive huts and the Gallarus Oratory west of town. Take a peek at Skellig Michael. It was an old monastic rereat and the place Luke Skywalker spent his self imposed exile in the new Star Wars movie.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Todd Melrose

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »
I went over to play last April, and we played Dooks, Ballybunion OLD, and Lahinch twice.... Dooks was the first course we played on the trip and was fantastic. Won't be as stunning as Ballybunion OLD or Lahinch, but fun golf nonetheless. I'd recommend you play it before Lahinch or Ballybunion Old- because those two courses are even better than you've heard. Hope the weather is great for you!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 11:31:20 AM »
Thank you guys, we now have a lot of great choices. Dooks keep mentioned, must be a great course that is off the radar for a lot of folks. This is just the type of info I was hoping for with this post.

ed

Michael Felton

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
I can't really add much to what's already been said about the golf courses. Ballybunion Old, Dooks, Waterville and Tralee are all definitely worth a go. My suggestion, assuming it's still there (I haven't been in quite some time) is to go to Nick's Bar in Killorglin. Great restaurant and bar.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »
OK   so i'm looking at tee times.  Ballybunion is more available for my dates  than Lahinch.  I'm a 17 and don't want to be beat up.  My preference is always fun golf.  I can make Lahinch work but not easily.  Will I find Ballybunion just too tough?

Noticed that the online scorecards have Ballybunion a couple hundred yards shorter from the tees I would play.  Mostly don't want it too tight.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:31:09 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 03:30:08 AM »
Cliff

The rough will be harsh in July...its unavoidable...or so it seems even though the clubs you mention have cash  ::)  Ballybunion is too narrow given the state of the rough, but it shouldn't be missed.  Ballybunion is one of the best designed courses in the world.  Besides, one man's too narrow is another's just fine. 

Make Lahinch work!  Alter your dates.  Play at 7am or 7pm.  Do whatever it is you must.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »
Any disadvantage to playing  early in the morning like 730? 

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:02 PM »

The look on the face of the lady running your B&B when you ask for breakfast at half-six will be priceless.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 11:51:44 PM »
I ditto what Tommy Williamsen states above.  I can't be all golf, and the Dingle peninsula is as magical as 'The Ring of Kerry'.  Leave an extra day to go slow around the Slea Head drive (Ireland highway R559). 

As for the golf, I played Dooks and loved it.  I only walked about at Waterville but it looked more modern in a manicured CCFAD manner.  My hidden gem was Ceann Sybil "Dingle", which is a half hour winding drive past Dingle town.  I loved it because it is old school, with subtle in places, but interesting terrain features.  There is some dramatic terrain as well.  I came away thinking it was as much fun as my beloved Wild Horse in Nebraska.  Lahinch and Ballybunion are a bit further to drive from Killarney or Kerry than Dingle.  While I didn't play it, Lake Maloney in Killarney looked like a nice resort inland course.  Of course it was under water in the recent deluge.  Locals told me it was the worst wet summer last year that they have had in a long time.  Sept-Oct was spectacular, perfect golf weather, FWIW.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 04:44:06 AM »

The look on the face of the lady running your B&B when you ask for breakfast at half-six will be priceless.

I was going to say the same thing...you will likely miss breakfast  :'(

As for dew, sure, there is a high risk the grass will be wet at 7:30 either from dew or rain, but there is also a decent chance it will be raining in the late AM or PM. You takes what you gets and Lahinch/Ballybunion gives a lot regardless of dew.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:11:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
Playing Lahinch at 7:50...During the 12 days are there also Dooks, CastleGregory and Cork maybe.  So looking forward to it...Thanks to all

Kevin Markham

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »
One of the great debates in Irish golf is: 'Ballybunion' or 'Lahinch'? People fall on one side of the fence or the other, with only a few caught in two minds. As others have suggested, try your best to play both so you can decide for yourself. It WILL be worth the effort. I favour early morning tee times but, given that this is the west of Ireland, you might find the sun setting over the Atlantic rather captivating in the late evening.

If you're playing as a single, I'd suggest phoning (rather than internet booking) clubs and asking to be added to a group... preferably locals. Local knowledge (or a caddie) will make all the difference to your enjoyment.

As for being off 17 and comments about the rough - you just have to persevere. It's links golf and it is what it is. I'd be a bit surprised - given the foot traffic - if they don't keep the rough thin/down to ensure balls are findable/playable.

No one has mentioned Ballybunion's 2nd course - the Cashen. It is routed through even bigger dunes than the Old, and while the oft cited complaint is that it is not a true links (designed by Robert Trent Jones) because of its target-golf greens, the back nine are epic (some photos here). And it won't be nearly as busy - most American tours seem to skip it.

Dooks and Tralee and Waterville all battle it out for the most beautiful setting of any Irish golf course. Personally, I don't think anywhere can compete with the 2nd green at Dooks. 360 degree views of heaven. That said, your wife will definitely enjoy a walk around Tralee Golf Club.

If you want a non-links alternative, then try Killarney's Killeen course. It's an epic setting on a lake and under the mountains and this is an Irish Open course, so the maintenance will be top notch.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Waterville, though it was improved from my first visit. I've played both Killarney courses twice and my earlier low opinion of them was reconfirmed. You can play courses like that in the states, you should use your time there to play courses unlike those we have here.

Ballybunion, Lahinch and Tralee are all great suggestions. I haven't ever played Dooks but intend to play it again when I return as I keep hearing so many great things about it. I know Old Head is polarizing, and while it isn't a links course it has some scenery so dramatic it makes Pebble Beach's look boring by comparison. I wouldn't make a special trip down there but if your travels happen to take you there it is definitely worth a visit (if only to see which side of the fence you find yourself on)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
Wheres the home Ed?
Location will have a lot to do with 9 hole diversions or offbeat suggestions.
Kindve surprised a new thread would be needed for the "must sees" of SW Ireland.

Am amazed at the lack of love shown for Waterville and Killarney-Mahoney's point is magical and one must really be spoiled to be let down by Waterville.The newer version is an improvement as well.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 04:33:32 PM »
Hello Jeff,
We were told you can see Ballybunions Old Course from the home. Having never been there I assume that's good? He states pubs are within walking distance too.
So right now the leaders are, Ballybunion Old, Tralee, Lahinch ,Waterville and Dooks. We are thinking about taking a long ride to Old Head and maybe staying overnight there the last evening. I hear it's good golf with spectacular views. From what I hear maybe two rounds are Ballybunion are in order.

Anything you can add is great.

ed

Bob Harris

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 04:57:18 PM »
Ed,
Is this the 2016 Captain's Rating. I haven't received my invitation yet.
Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back