News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

How much would you spend to lengthen a hole?
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:20:29 AM »

Jaeger Kovich

Re: How much would you spend to lengthen a hole?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
How much would you spend to lengthen a hole?

Not as much as I would pay to make it better.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
They opted for a semi-gold-plated solution.

Can't say that I blame the city - ask for the world when you hold all the cards.

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »
ANGC is a unique club in many ways. One of the most important of those ways is that it has unlimited capital resources.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:12:48 AM by BCrosby »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »
In as much as I have some philosophical issues with it, I imagine there might a strong return on investment  for the city.

I wonder what the return on investment be for a shorter ball, that would eliminate the problem rather than solve it.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:28:49 AM »
At what point does it mention the 5th hole?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »
If the lengthening project was going to improve local road infrastructure, the capital was no issue, and costs incurred were going to be reimbursed by the city, then it would be a hard thing to put a sum on. $0 of net expenditure is a fair price for an entity with untold cash to spend to further cement its reputation as a good neighbor.

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
At what point does it mention the 5th hole?

Ron:

It doesn't, but primary motivators of the road project include a rebuild of the fourth green and moving the fifth tee (to add 30-40 yards to the hole).

WW

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
Looking at the affected area on google maps, I suspect the new road has been moved to the northwest, giving the club a lot more space in a very strategic area for them.

So I'm guessing its less about those two holes, which are beasty enough already... and more about having additional space to host the 1%'ers during the tourney via Berckmans Place!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
Would it not have been cheaper to incline the back tee by 10%  ::)

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »
Save some $, move the tees up and buy some Cayman balls to hand out to the players?
Atb

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
Looking at the affected area on google maps, I suspect the new road has been moved to the northwest, giving the club a lot more space in a very strategic area for them.

So I'm guessing its less about those two holes, which are beasty enough already... and more about having additional space to host the 1%'ers during the tourney via Berckmans Place!

+1

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-masters-finances-ron-sirak

BHoover

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
The obligatory ANGC-is-ridiculous thread. It's the club's money and tournament. They can do as they please.

The club also is funding this without holding taxpayers hostage for public financing. Regardless of the hole, this is infinitely better than the NFL, MLB, etc.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
When will ANGC realize the power of its brand and roll back the ball for its event?   No need to spend $500K to lengthen a long par 4. 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »
The club also is funding this without holding taxpayers hostage for public financing. Regardless of the hole, this is infinitely better than the NFL, MLB, etc.

Not exactly. Their expenses are being reimbursed through a 1% local sales tax increase.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »

Not exactly. Their expenses are being reimbursed through a 1% local sales tax increase.

In that case, at least I'm not paying for it, and that's really all that matters.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 10:51:52 PM »

In that case, at least I'm not paying for it, and that's really all that matters.

They are holding the public hostage for their indescretions...but because it's not you, and just some lowly folk from way down south...it's ok?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

BHoover

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »

They are holding the public hostage for their indescretions...but because it's not you, and just some lowly folk from way down south...it's ok?

I'm paying increased taxes in my own hometown for a new football stadium that will be home to a team of which I am not a fan. So the fact that a citizen of Augusta, GA is paying sales tax that may or may not be used for ANGC troubles me not in the least. I'm neither a voter nor a taxpayer in Augusta, so, therefore, it's not my problem. My problem is the property tax in my own hometown that is used to finance a professional sports facility.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »
And now ANGC will reportedly spend $540,000/yard to lengthen #13. Golfweek reports that ANGC will acquire land from ACC for $27M.

http://golfweek.com/news/2016/feb/26/augusta-national-masters-par-5-13th-hole-add-land/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
And now ANGC will reportedly spend $540,000/yard to lengthen #13. Golfweek reports that ANGC will acquire land from ACC for $27M.

http://golfweek.com/news/2016/feb/26/augusta-national-masters-par-5-13th-hole-add-land/

We'll give you $1 Million.

We'll take $50 Million.

(In my best William Shatner voice)

That's a NEGOTIATION!

JJShanley

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »

I hadn't heard of the story about someone hitting the 12th green at ANGC from ACC while Tiger putted out. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 12:24:52 AM »

I had heard the offer was made and refused-maybe that changed.
My initial response was that losing the ninth fairway at ACC would be a good thing because they have always had drainage problems there being the low point of the property.
That said, I do worry about what would be done with the 27 million.
Though I hope they use a tiny portion of it to hire an architect sensitive to what's in the ground already

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:41:47 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BCrosby

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »
Jeff -

I had heard the same thing. That ANGC had made a quite generous offer and ACC refused it. But perhaps my info is old and cold.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back