News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Interview with Laurence Lambrecht, Photographer
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:38:08 AM »
I want to arrive at an estate (starter castle) one evening, be shown to a well-appointed room by my host, and interrogated/seduced in the following manner:

Host: Have you seen my latest acquisition? It's a Lambrecht. Have a glance.

RM: Wonderful piece! Isn't that the ___ hole at ___? I haven't played it, but it's well-regarded in the world of gca.

As I've admired the photographic work I see on GCA, from all points on the globe, I continue to come back to LC Lambrecht and his work. He remains the lodestone for my consideration of what is proper in landscape golf photography (as opposed to tournament golf photography.) Turns out the fellow is quite approachable; he took the time to answer my usual spate of nine questions for an interview, which you can find here: http://wp.me/p20nYT-3uQ

I anticipate this thread serving two purposes: commentary on LC Lambrecht's work and his answers, and commentary on your own thoughts on good golf course photography. It has been a while since we have had a nice discussion on photography, outside of the occasional comments on course tours and the annual photo contests.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Blake Conant

Re: Interview with Laurence Lambrecht, Photographer
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:07:46 AM »
Nice choice on interviewee, Ron. 

Not ever having met or communicated with Larry, I threw him an email out of the blue about a year ago to get some pointers for my DSLR.  He got back to me that day with a couple paragraphs worth of notes and suggestions.  I always appreciate when a professional like Larry takes time out of his day to help an anonymous amateur. 

His website is filled with cool pics, as is Renaissance's website. 

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
His studio/store is in Westerly, Rhode Island.  Bought a print from him years ago.  Photoshop is great as he 'repaired' all divots  He was extremely personable and had an enjoyable conversation with him. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:11:40 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »
C'mon, he goes by Larry!   :D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »
Question 10.

Do you enjoy taking photos from an ultralight, taking off and landing on the beach?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »
I wish you would have asked him about the state of an industry where photographers are paid in free books. Or perhaps where golf is traded for goat pics. Truly golf course photography ain't what it used to be.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
I attempted to PM this to Monsieur Kavanaugh, but sadly, it was blocked by some unknown force. Here is what I hoped to get in front of his eyes:
================
If you're referencing The Confidential Guide, my opinion is that Tom is giving a lot of guys an opportunity to have an image last beyond the test of time. It's nice to professionalize a bit an amateur pastime. None of us would earn a nickel for those images, so we'll take the book.

I don't understand the goat reference, so if you choose to elaborate, it will be appreciated by me.

What did golf course photography used to be?
================
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:40:16 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 03:54:46 PM »
Ron:

The "goat reference" pertains to John's disapproval (among several) of my including photos of the goats in my Boston Golf Club photo tour.

Jon Cavalier
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »

An interesting choice. Someone I would definitely like to meet. This was my favorite quote:[/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.498039)][/size]The first thing you have to understand about the golf landscape is that the sun has to hit the grass[/color]

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
I simply would like to know how many pictures of golf courses were taken and provided for public consumption in 1995 as opposed to 2015. I would estimate an increase by a factor of millions. Is this a good thing for golf, possibly. Is it a good thing for the profession of golf course photographer, doubt it. It would have been an interesting conversation to have with Larry.

I don't have to care to lament the destruction of another industry through free internet content. As long as amateurs give it away for a bit of glory the quality of our experiences will continue to deteriorate as our world saturates.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
John:

How many of Larry's pictures have you purchased? How many have you looked at for free?

To be clear, I certainly agree with your 1995 vs 2015 premise that the number of golf course photos taken for public consumption has increased dramatically. As have the number of photos taken in general.

Where we disagree is that guys like me (amateurs who shoot for fun and post on forums like this) are competitive with guys like Larry Lambrecht and Evan Schiller.

I don't agree with that premise any more than I'd agree that Pat Mucci and others in this board are a threat to the livelihoods of guys who write about golf professionally. Are you lamenting the distruction of the golf writing industry when you read and post here?

We've been over this ground before, and I don't imagine your thoughts on this are subject to change. But the bottom line for me is that as long as I (and others like me) enjoy taking photos, and as long as people like looking at them, I'm going to continue to do it and enjoy myself in the process.

And if what you say is true, and that in the process I am causing the distruction of the golf photography industry and profession (a premise with which I disagree), then in my opinion, it is incumbent upon that industry to adapt and change with the times.
Golf Photos via

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »
Ron:

The "goat reference" pertains to John's disapproval (among several) of my including photos of the goats in my Boston Golf Club photo tour.

Jon Cavalier

Guess John likes the Ballyhack goats.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »
Let's also remember that the transition from film to digital changed everything for photography. I was running yearbook in the early 2000s when one of my staff kiddos came back from a hockey match with 16 images.

"Did you run out of batteries?"                                 "No."
"Did you run out of space on your card?"                  "No."
"Did your camera break?"                                        "No."
"What happened?"                                                  "I wanted to get the perfect shot."
"Go back and take another 400 images. You'll get the perfect shot."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »
Ron:

Jon Cavalier

Guess John likes the Ballyhack goats.

Who doesn't?
Golf Photos via

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 02:33:42 PM »
Jon,

While I will not deny the reference I wish you to know that you are not the first man to show me a picture of a goat.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
Let's also remember that the transition from film to digital changed everything for photography. I was running yearbook in the early 2000s when one of my staff kiddos came back from a hockey match with 16 images.

"Did you run out of batteries?"                                 "No."
"Did you run out of space on your card?"                  "No."
"Did your camera break?"                                        "No."
"What happened?"                                                  "I wanted to get the perfect shot."
"Go back and take another 400 images. You'll get the perfect shot."

Ronald,

Fine, just don't ask the innocent to scan all 400 images. For one, no one but the parents of the hockey team gives a damn. I have not much of a problem with pictures, I have a real problem with the carpet bombing of my space hoping one will strike my ocular fancy.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 07:21:32 PM »
John, you just unwittingly confirmed the disconnect between film and digital. The waif had shot them all digitally; there was no scanning involved. It was a matter of plugging card into card reader, downloading images and letting the photo staff do that hoodooo that they do so well.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
Nice interview, Hedy.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:18 PM »
Jon,

While I will not deny the reference I wish you to know that you are not the first man to show me a picture of a goat.

John:

By any chance, have you seen the movie "Waiting?"

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »
Jon,

John:

By any chance, have you seen the movie "Waiting?"

Sven

Tremendous reference.
Golf Photos via

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »
Jon,

Jkava,

You probably are just like me in that you prefer a drawing/logo of a Goat.  A Goat that is used for an Analogy of how severely sloped the Greens are.  Is this the first photo drawing of a goat you have seen?   ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:39 PM »

Eric Smith

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
I appreciate the references to movies I know and don't know. Rowdy bunch of miscreants you are and I wouldn't trade you for a chocolate cabbage...and I mean that.

What about the iView...anything in it advance the study of of gca? I thought that Jageger's pick-up of the "sun has to hit the grass" line might get focus the lens, but no such luck.

Anybody?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »
I haven't seen the movie but went to Catholic school. Glad someone got the reference, or not.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back