News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Krume

Golf in New York....Please advise
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
am heading stateside at the end of March for 5 days and the wife has given me a pass for a days golf. Will travel but need suggestions as will only get the one round in

Tom_Doak

Re: Golf in New York....Please advise
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »
The end of March will be iffy weather-wise.  Many courses may still be closed for winter, depending on the weather over the next month.

Michael Felton

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
What Tom said. Bethpage Black, which is my go to recommendation I don't think will open until April. Some of the privates may be open if the weather is good I guess. I don't know.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
Sam K.

The Trump Ferry Point course is probably the closest quality daily-fee course to central Manhattan:

http://www.trump.com/golf/trump-golf-links-ferry-point/

Here is a photo thread on the course:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60893.0.html

I don't know if the course will be open in late March.

DT
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:21:21 PM by David_Tepper »

Sam Krume

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »
Many thanks for your responses, I guess I'll just have too take my chances

Sam Krume

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:33:20 PM »
As I've not been to NY, any further recommendations reg hotels?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »
Is this really the kind of thread that merits posting on GCA.com ?

An access thread ?

Sam Krume

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 05:48:40 PM »

An access thread ?

Sorry Patrick. I thought that this would be a good place to get recommendations for golf in New York and possible accommodation as I've never crossed the pond..sorry to have offended you.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »

An access thread ?

This is a regular type of thread for US to Europe visitors, why is it bad manners the other way about?

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:00:47 PM »

An access thread ?

This is a regular type of thread for US to Europe visitors, why is it bad manners the other way about?

or Florida, or New Zealand, Australia.
The man is not asking for access, and every course listed so far is public anyway (and probably closed :'( :'(  in March)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Felton

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
As I've not been to NY, any further recommendations reg hotels?

Where are you looking to stay?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »
am heading stateside at the end of March for 5 days and the wife has given me a pass for a days golf. Will travel but need suggestions as will only get the one round in

Sam,

Your thread is just so...um...lazy. Sorry.
You have zero specifics besides what month you will be there.

Come on, man...;-)....New York is a big place. Where in NY? NYC? bUffalo?
I assume NYC. If so, how far are you willing to travel? 1, 2, 3 hours?

But, all you need to do is go to weather.com and you will see what the average high temperature will be that day.
You als can go to golf digest.com and see the list of the best courses in NY and then ask this group, " which one of those is worth playing?"

Then you ask about hotel,recommendations? Really? Where? At what price point? What's next? Restaurants and museums? Concierge services not included here...:-)

Do your research. Ask specific questions.
Help us help you.

Cheers,
Ian

Sam Krume

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 03:55:30 AM »

Sam,

Your thread is just so...um...lazy. Sorry.
You have zero specifics besides what month you will be there.

Come on, man...;-)....New York is a big place. Where in NY? NYC? bUffalo?
I assume NYC. If so, how far are you willing to travel? 1, 2, 3 hours?

But, all you need to do is go to weather.com and you will see what the average high temperature will be that day.
You als can go to golf digest.com and see the list of the best courses in NY and then ask this group, " which one of those is worth playing?"

Then you ask about hotel,recommendations? Really? Where? At what price point? What's next? Restaurants and museums? Concierge services not included here...:-)

Do your research. Ask specific questions.
Help us help you.

Cheers,
Ian

Ian,
Looking to stay in NYC and am willing to travel 2 hours. As I've never been to NYC I have no idea , I'm not looking at to touristy. Maybe stay in Greenwich?

Michael Felton

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »
Sam - for hotels in New York City, you can find anywhere from about $400 a night to upwards of $1,000 a night. The Mandarin Oriental looks out over Central Park and has a very nice restaurant in it (Asiate), but both are very expensive. Other than maybe one day of golf is there anything else you're looking to do in the city? Catch a show? Dine out?

Will you have a car? Someone mentioned Ferry Point - I would not be surprised if that isn't open, but it's good fun. Bethpage Black won't be open I suspect, but the Red course may have opened by then. That's pretty good too. The only place that I can think of that will almost certainly be open is Marine Park. Outside of Ferry Point, I think it's the best of the city courses. Greens are quite extreme, but I enjoy it. If you do have a car, you could go to La Tourette in Staten Island - that's another city course and is quite enjoyable too. The pickings in late March are necessarily pretty slim.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »
Sam,

Not to worry, you didn't offend me in the least.

My reply was based on a lengthy phone call I had with Ran Morrssett a week earlier where he expressed concern over threads that were without any architectural substance.

There's been an increase in the number of threads that announce: 
I'm going to be in _____ on _____, so where's a good place to play ?

As Ian stated, your post was incredibly vague, and seemed indicative of an "opening shot" in an effort to gain access.

Here's what I found disingenuous about your post.

In this day and age, with the Internet at your disposal, you could find out everything you wanted to know about the golf clubs in the areas that you would be visiting.

If I was going to any city/ies in the U.S., with a little effort I could ascertain what public and private clubs were nearby and what it would take to gain access to both.

If, on the other hand you had been a contributing poster on GCA.com for the last 6 months, engaging in substantive discussions, and mentioned that you were going to be in Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, White Plains or Hewlitt, I'm sure that unsolicited offers would have come your way.

Hence, I don't buy the naive, I'm lost and don't know what to do, poor me excuse.

Frank M

Re: Golf in New York....Please advise New
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 10:18:05 PM »
Then why don't you leave it to Ran to take care of whatever he sees fit rather than call out someone for making a simple post?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:22:53 PM by Frank M »

Anders Rytter

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
Haven't posted in a while, two kids in a few years have done damage even to my online social life.

But i felt like chipping in here as i have done something very similar a few years back. Please remember that europe hardly have any courses that dont allow for guest that just show up (there are a few, i know) it took me a while to understand that it could be considered rude to simple ask if someone was up for a game in their hometown.

I now understand why it is like this on your side of the pond but don't judge europeans based on questions like the OP, most people simply dont know.

I've played several rounds with people i've meet through GCA, both in the US and arround Copenhagen where i live. This is not you average onlineforum, we post by our real names and atleast i also enjoy connecting with people in person.

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 03:18:51 AM »
Mucci,

Sadly, the standards that matter are not those Ran discusses with you on the phone or those he mentions in his annual sermon.

The standards that matter are those the overseers of this website see daily/weekly/howeveroftentheylook - often from you - and leave unchecked.

To paraphrase the former head of the Australian Army who is the current Australian of the Year, "the standard a man walks past is the standard he accepts".

You're as guilty as anyone where this website is concerned and should be the last one throwing stones.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »

Then why don't you leave it to Ran to take care of whatever he sees fit rather than call out someone for making a simple post?

Frank,

Because Ran typically doesn't get involved with individual threads

From the second half of your post, you seem to be making quite a few assumptions based on how you do and interpret things and maybe the OP doesn't do or see things the same way.

All of my assumptions were prudent.

If Sam had enough interest in GCA to tune into GCA, and enough presence of mind to be able to gain access as a participant, surely he has the ability to engage in the due diligence necessary to acquire the information he seeks.

Frank M

Re: Golf in New York....Please advise New
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
Don't know what is happening here.   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:22:29 PM by Frank M »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »
I am somewhat perplexed by the attitude/assumptions some posters are making on this thread. I would have thought that the OP when asking for advice as to where to play would be asking from a GCA and golfing angle as this is what the site is about. I also find it hard to understand how his question can be misinterpreted as an effort to gain access because if this were so then practically any thread asking opinions about a golf course or best example of one could also e interpreted as such an attempt.

If someone from out of town is looking to buy a house asks where it is best in your city is to buy a house do you automatically feel the need to offer that person yours?

Jon

David_Elvins

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 02:53:02 PM »

An access thread ?

Sorry Patrick. I thought that this would be a good place to get recommendations for golf in New York and possible accommodation as I've never crossed the pond..sorry to have offended you.

Sam,

Atlantic City can have better weather that time of year. 

Atlantic City Country Club is a historic place with a good doak reonovation.

Twisted Dune is really good too.

That would be my recommendation.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 03:32:54 PM »
The "what courses should i play in ...?" posts can be extremely valuable; I hope they don't become taboo. They tend to spur architectural conversation about the lesser courses in the world that we may otherwise not talk about. Even in well-discussed regions you might only find a few mentions about a hidden gem or a modest, yet interesting little public that would perfectly fit your requirements during a given trip. Of course, that's all less likely if the OP doesn't bring some of their own research and specifics to the table.

Sam, Mike Felton's post is pretty spot-on. Bethpage Black and Ferry Point will most definitely be closed until April. Bethpage Red is your next best bet for nearby publics, but it will only be open if the weather has been cooperating. I don't believe it opened until April last year. But any of the 5 courses at Bethpage are as good as anything else in the area. I also second his recommendation of Marine Park out of all the NYC munis. It has the most interesting and best maintained greens of any public near the city. If you really do want to drive 1-2 hours you get more options. My pick would be Tallgrass (Hanse), a fantastic course about 1:15hrs out on Long Island. It should be open and in decent enough shape. At that time of year, everything will be very hit or miss conditions-wise, so I caution against driving too far for anything public unless it's exactly what you want.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »

The "what courses should i play in ...?" posts can be extremely valuable; I hope they don't become taboo. They tend to spur architectural conversation about the lesser courses in the world that we may otherwise not talk about. Even in well-discussed regions you might only find a few mentions about a hidden gem or a modest, yet interesting little public that would perfectly fit your requirements during a given trip. Of course, that's all less likely if the OP doesn't bring some of their own research and specifics to the table.

+1

Atb

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »

I am somewhat perplexed by the attitude/assumptions some posters are making on this thread. I would have thought that the OP when asking for advice as to where to play would be asking from a GCA and golfing angle as this is what the site is about. I also find it hard to understand how his question can be misinterpreted as an effort to gain access because if this were so then practically any thread asking opinions about a golf course or best example of one could also e interpreted as such an attempt.

If someone from out of town is looking to buy a house asks where it is best in your city is to buy a house do you automatically feel the need to offer that person yours?

Jon,

Here's Sam's initial post:

"Golf in New York, am heading stateside at the end of March for 5 days and the wife has given me a pass for a days golf. Will travel but need suggestions as will only get the one round in."

He can only get one round in.

New York is a huge state, so where would you suggest that he play based upon his initial post ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back