News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Gents.

Please look at the following photo and please tell me your opinion of this bunker/tree positional relationship.

No agenda. Would just like to know what folks think.

2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Niall C

Re: Photo Thread: Tree Between Bunker and Target - What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:40:31 AM »
Robin

It's a potent combo if you happen to end up in that bunker. Without the tree I'd imagine it would be possible to get the green however with the tree in position it makes it much more difficult. From an aesthetic point of view I don't really have an issue. Question - was the bunker put in there for the eventuality that the tree would be going sooner rather than later ?

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:55:08 AM »
Niall

No, both are there for the long haul.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »
Fire up the chainsaw!

Ryan Coles

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
Robin

What is the length of the hole?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »
At least the tree's canopy is pretty high up, so you've really only got the trunk to worry about
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »

What if this is a par 3? Or a short 4? or a long 5-er? Or does it matter?

If I see this once a round, I may scratch my head or laugh, but it won't bother me too much. It's a bit of quirk unless it's a repetitive feature.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
Robin:

I am in the minority of not minding if there is an occasional "double hazard" as I don't see why there should be a rule that someone in a bunker should have a clear path to the green.

However, this bunker and tree both seem to be in the middle of the fairway, and adding that to the mix seems like a bit much to me.  How long is the hole?

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »
The hole is 525 yards long and the combo is 50/60 yards short of the green, dead centre of fairway.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
So if you're in the bunker you have a 50/60 yard bunker shot to play?  Seems to me that's punishment enough in the centre of the fairway.  One or the other should go.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Neil White

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
The tree and the bunker are both fine..... despite looking a tad awkward together.

As it is a par-5 it looks as though there is a fair bit of fairway either side of the bunker so those laying up appear to have a choice.

Is the tree really a hazard for those going for the green in two?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:18 AM »
From what's visible here, I'm fine with it. There appears to be ample room to stay away from the bunker, and the tree is limbed up enough to make it easy to play a forward shot out of the bunker but risky to take a swing at the green unless you can hit a flighted 60 yard wedge from a bunker. Since it's in the layup zone, it shouldn't be too hard for players to lay back to 100 yards or so if they really want to avoid it. I know the blanket answer around here is that all double hazards are bad, but I think I'm okay with this one as long as it isn't my ball in the sand.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »
So if you're in the bunker you have a 50/60 yard bunker shot to play?  Seems to me that's punishment enough in the centre of the fairway.  One or the other should go.

that sounds dangerously like fairness.......

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »
At least the tree's canopy is pretty high up, so you've really only got the trunk to worry about

To my eye the length of shot to the green, the slope in the bunker etc could very well make the tree canopy in play. If that was what was intended then its a pretty clever design. I'd probably like that idea more if it was more of a gathering bunker.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
Some thoughts over and above those mentioned  above -

A) The bunker is likely to end up with lots of fallen twigs etc in it.....and they can't be moved if your ball is against them
B) Has the tree already reached it's maximum height/width and if not how much bigger will it grow?
C) Will the trees roots damage the front lip of the bunker?

Atb

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »
I am reading posts on the this thread from a bunch of people I'd like to play in a match. Figure it out, move on.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 10:36:55 AM »
Most are generally against the double penalty, but oddly, I find that it may be okay in the middle of the fairway with two clear ways around.

And, the tree doesn't look all that healthy.  My first thought was the architect put the bunker in as backup for the inevitable day when the tree goes.  So many do when exposed to a new water regimen or irrigation, and he may have figured it had only 5-10 years to live, and golfers would just have to live with it a while.

Sort of like doing an original design and a long term master plan at the same time.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
The only reason to give the bunker credibility is to assume you're going to be in it.

For me it appears it would be 60 yards past my lay up zone.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »
Jeff

Maybe the way to think about it is rather than being a double penalty, it's just a different kind of challenge. After all a lot of us on here (me included) tend to harp on about variety so why not ?

Niall

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »
As an old man who can no longer reach par 5's in two I love the tree. The entertainment value of seeing a long hitter hit the tree when going for the green and end up in the bunker would only be surpassed if he hit the tree again.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 11:03:07 AM »

Thanks for doing my typing, my good man.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sam Andrews

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »
I don't know why but part of me wishes they made it so the tree was in the bunker...
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
We have the same basic thing at my course. I dislike it there and here. Seems like a double whammy to me. A long bunker shot that has to contend with a tree?  Chainsaw time.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
We have the same basic thing at my course. I dislike it there and here. Seems like a double whammy to me. A long bunker shot that has to contend with a tree?  Chainsaw time.

Hit an explosion shot to the left or right and allow the rest of your mediocre to poor golf expose your weaknesses free from the hazard.

The only reason to contend with the tree is if you feel you've the ability to make the shot.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
Like the bunker and its relative position....tree should more than likely go..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back