News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Freeway GC, Sicklerville, NJ NLE?
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »
The Historic Freeway Golf Course Closed and Up For Sale
The first African American owned 18-hole golf course in America, Freeway Golf Course, located in Sicklerville, New Jersey, is in the process of being sold.  At an asking price of $2.4 million dollars, a local developer has made a offer to purchase the property with intentions to reconstruct it and build housing units on the 150-acres.Open since 1967, Freeway has been frequented notable golfers including Jim Dent, Lee Elder, Calvin Peete, Charlie Sifford, Jim Thorpe and other prominent individuals. The course is a 6,536-yard Horace Smith design bearing two distinct 9 holes that has played host to the inaugural Sammy Davis Jr. Open, which became the PGA TOUR’s Hartford Open.
http://www.africanamericangolfersdigest.com/the-historic-freeway-golf-course-closed-and-up-for-sale/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:29:27 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

Re: Freeway GC, Sicklerville, NJ NLE
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Eric Strulowitz

Re: Freeway GC, Sicklerville, NJ NLE?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »
The Historic Freeway Golf Course Closed and Up For Sale
The first African American owned 18-hole golf course in America, Freeway Golf Course, located in Sicklerville, New Jersey, is in the process of being sold.  At an asking price of $2.4 million dollars, a local developer has made a offer to purchase the property with intentions to reconstruct it and build housing units on the 150-acres.Open since 1967, Freeway has been frequented notable golfers including Jim Dent, Lee Elder, Calvin Peete, Charlie Sifford, Jim Thorpe and other prominent individuals. The course is a 6,536-yard Horace Smith design bearing two distinct 9 holes that has played host to the inaugural Sammy Davis Jr. Open, which became the PGA TOUR’s Hartford Open.
http://www.africanamericangolfersdigest.com/the-historic-freeway-golf-course-closed-and-up-for-sale/

What a shame.   I used to live in NJ and probably played that course 50 times.  Very very close to Pin e Valley.  It was fun golf with some long challenging holes, and very walkable.   

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »
I'm hopeful someone will step up to purchase and keep it a golf course.   If memory serves, Jamie Slonis grew up playing there, as well.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »

It's a piece of golf's history and should be saved.

I wonder if someone could purchase the property and make it more profitable by turning the whole 150 acres into an interactive museum thereby exempting it from certain taxes?  :)

The article is a bit misleading when it says: "The course is a 6,536-yard Horace Smith design bearing two distinct 9 holes that has played host to the inaugural Sammy Davis Jr. Open, which became the PGA TOUR’s Hartford Open."

The Insurance City Open began in Wethersfield Ct in 1952. It changed its name to The Greater Hartford Open in 1967 (Charlie Sifford's first Tour win) and Sammy Davis Jr's 16 year association with the event began in 1973.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:11:52 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

archie_struthers

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 07:47:14 AM »
 :'(

I played hundreds of rounds there in the 1970's with the caddies from PV. It's about 15 minutes away. We were treated fabulously and spent many a late afternoon racing around the golf course to beat the darkness. Firm and fast was the word yet the conditions were always playable as you learned to play some unique shots. First hole a par five of around 600 from the tips then .

Have great memories of Freeway . We played our annual 54 hole carry your own tournament there every year. You were allowed to take  a cart , but it was a 2 shot penalty ! Anyone who has some new information on the deal,feel free to IM me or post here. The housing market has been a little soft around there lately so I'm interested to see what is being proposed or is approved .

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back