News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Re: The Average Serious Golfer Spends Nearly $900 A Year On Golf Clubs
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 11:04:02 PM »
quote author=John Kavanaugh link=topic=62526.msg1488131#msg1488131 date=1454551682]
Steve,

I admire any serious golfer married to another. I don't know how you, or anyone else for that matter, does it. Golf clubs are the least of your worries.
[ quote]

John, very true.   

now, why do folks think they can buy game? .. look at TaylorMade’s latest mental offerings: Maximized Distance and Forgiveness, Distance & Height, Demand More

Are these thought-terminating clichés ala Robert J. Lifton ?   Brainwashing the unwashed masses?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:36:36 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »
The worst thing about the $900 figure is that it is based on 250 serious golfers for each of the 16,000 courses in the U.S.  This on equipment sales of 3.5 billion. 250 feels a little high. Any club would be lucky to have 100, and far too crowded with more.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
Some of us aren't trying to buy a game, we're trying to keep it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 11:20:49 PM »
Some of us aren't trying to buy a game, we're trying to keep it.
Lucky you - I keep trying to fake one, but the impersonation is wearing thin. A pair of beat up footjoys and a Trevino pre-shot shuffle only plays once, and after that it's like I'm standing naked amongst my enemies...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 11:51:43 PM »
Peter,

Just for you: http://www.spainthenandnow.com/spanish-literature/don-quixote-hero-or-fool/default_96.aspx

Maybe those of us who love buying clubs are just dreamers.

Mark Pavy

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2016, 01:58:38 AM »
There's definitions for what an "average serious golfer" is, from memory it's based on rounds per year (>40). I think they spend close to $3,000 on average pa on golf.

I know plenty of "keen" golfers who spend more than $900 on improving their game- Lessons, range balls etc.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 03:54:17 AM »
I play probably 80-100 rounds a year, although last year I joined a club and prior to that I was playing 10-20 rounds. My dad bought me my Mizuno irons for my 30th birthday - I am 44 this year. I bought a Titleist 913 driver and 3 wood on ebay last year for about £100 each. These will last me for at least 5 years. I have a Cobra hybrid I bought for about £50 on ebay 5 years ago and an Odyssey putter my wife got me for my 40th birthday. I'm considering changing my hybrid, and maybe getting a new wedge (ebay!). Other than that, no change. I buy A grade balls from ebay - NXT Tour S for the winter, Pro V1 for the summer.

I am not the equipment companies' dream customer. That said, the people that I play with have all the gear and change it regularly. I am self aware enough to know that it's not the equipment that's the problem, it's the guy who's using it.

I have a colleague who spends thousands on cycling equipment. After one purchase which he justified by saying how much weight it took off the bike, he looked down at his belly and said "Of course I could just drink less wine". It's the same with golf - I could spend heaps of money on equipment to improve my game, or I could just go and practice loads.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2016, 04:13:03 AM »
$900 a year!!! Wow, I haven't spent that in the last two decades.

Jon

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2016, 06:49:43 AM »
I am a serious golfer (120 rounds per yr)and I am a bit of an equipment junkie. To average $900 yr on clubs seems high even to me. However there have been years I spent that if I went on a reshafting kick or whatnot. To be brutally honest I refuse to do an accounting on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me!
I used to play with a guy that would spend $900 per trip on clubs. At the original Sawgrass he bought a new set of irons at the turn! Never did help him much.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »
An article that is slightly related to the spend on equipment that I found quite interesting. I would have liked to hear the whole talk though;

http://www.golfbusinessnews.com/news/management-topics/the-golf-ball-myth/

Would everyone be spending $900 or more if they knew the real stats and reality?

I've recently invested in more than a few clubs after getting slightly addicted to ebay.....for probably around $900 I've ended up with a house that looks like a pros workshop, half of it due to go back on ebay to be resold after I've sifted out the chaff  and I've actually made a few pennies on most of the re-sales! I now have a rather a nice collection of blades and putters and a few new woods/drivers, funny thing is the drivers are pretty new and will be re-sold as I really can't see them being any better, straighter or longer than my 10 year old Cleveland! The range of irons and wedges are from virtually new to 30 years old and they all play pretty much the same, the only differences being that the 30 year old club that has a 9 on the bottom is equivalent to the the new club which has a P on the bottom..... After this little splurge I won't be spending much on golf clubs for a long time other than the occasional re-grip or shaft change which I'll probably do myself and save some money. I might spend a few pounds on loft/lie checks. I do feel slightly bad for not 'supporting' my pro more but I've signed up to a few lessons to make up for it and they will improve my golf way more than any of the clubs I've bought!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
Hmm, I used to drop a lot of money on clubs, but I really don't any longer. I do however, have an occasional splurge on a nice putter. Last year I spent over $900 (a new R15 driver and Ping i25  irons for the first time in 6-7 years). I have since sold those non-performing I25 irons and went back to the tried and true Ping ISI nickel irons. I spend a lot more on greens fees throughout the year. It really doesn't take much to break $900 with what they are charging now.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Niall C

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2016, 07:56:32 AM »
I haven't read every post on this thread but it strikes me that the operative word in Tom's OP is "serious". I wonder what proportion of golfers at large are rated as "serious". Perhaps those that are rated as being serious are only those that spend $900 a year on golf gear ?

Judging my friends, who are mad keen and play on a regular basis, they wouldn't qualify as being serious as I doubt many of them have spent that much on golf equipment in the last 5 years.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
I have Titleist AP2 710s, so they're 6 years old and an R7 Superquad driver, which must be 8 years old.  I did look at upgrading my driver last year but on Trackman the best they could manage was a whole extra yard, so I didn't bother.  I have the first generation of Rocketballz 3 wood (4 or 5 years old, I guess) and a Rocketballz utilty.  SM4 wedges and a putter whose name I forget which is at least 5 years old.  I did buy a pencil bag last year and a Titleist stand carry bag the year before.  I do not spend $900 a year on equipment!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »
I spent more than the average amount last year.

I like golf clubs.

I like equipment as much as golf course architecture. Doesn't mean I'm a better golfer; I just like new (to me) shiny toys.

Over a long enough period of time, I won't spend nearly that much in a year. But, in some years, I will spike. Last year, I got new irons, wedges and a putter. That put me well above that mark. The year before that was a driver and a 3w, which took me half way there.

This year, I plan on replacing my hybrids. But thanks to gift certificates, I won't be spending much out of pocket for those.

For the next 1-3 years after this one, I probably won't drop a dime. Maybe tinker with a driver or wedges, but that's it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:12:40 AM by Criss Titschinger »

Tom Kelly

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »
delete...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:11:04 AM by Tom Kelly »

Paul Jones

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2016, 09:16:59 AM »
My company gives me a Stayfit allowance of $800 - I spend all of it on golf equipment: Shoes, Balls and usually a Putter.  I live in Louisiana so I do get to play year round and I like to use a new balls.  However, I rarely switch irons or drivers - only on my 2nd set in 10 years.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Colin Shellard

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »
Well I seem to be at the other end of the spectrum to most of you guys on here.

My Average net spend (purchases less sales) over the last three years is just under £1800 (US$2750) on golf (not including club memberships or golf trips) - so that's clubs, accessories, lessons, waterproofs, shoes etc. I spend about the same again on membership fees each year.

It's not something I'm proud of, and I'm actively trying to manage my "habit" - although in fairness it does include building an indoor practice range in my garage with an older Vector LM, top end truestrike mat and a net to use during the winter.

I buy too many clubs which rarely make it into the bag and get sold on at a loss, I know it doesn't make me a better golfer, but I don't gamble, rarely go out drinking and I'm certainly spending within my means, but I'm trying to be better! ::)

Paul Jones

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2016, 09:20:37 AM »
Last year I spent $600 on Scotty Cameron Button Back putter and bought golf balls.

This year I bought (will buy) Putting Matt, Golf Shoes and Balls.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Josh Tarble

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2016, 09:38:59 AM »
I don't want to chime in on this thread, because if my wife ever comes across it she'll realize my golf spending habit is way worse than she thought!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:26 AM »
Somebody got to pay for the game to survive. I like the people I buy my golf equipment from. As odd as it may seem new equipment makes me feel like playing more often which is good for the entire industry. We would like to separate equipment from architecture but it would be like removing cars from the road.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:22 AM »
I'm 42 years old and I've owned only two second hand sets of irons through my entire (adult) life.

I probably average about €25 a year on golf clubs.

New grips?   There's a good annual investment.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »
I've had the same irons for about six years, but regularly change out wedges.  I also get a new driver every couple years and I'm good for at least one new putter a year.  That doesn't approach the cited figure, but I try to be a good customer at my club pro shop.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Phil Lipper

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
If its $900 on clubs, that seems very high. If its $900 spent in pro shops that's probably a good number. I would think between golf outings and money during weekly tournaments at the club I end up with at least $500 a year in shop credit alone.

BHoover

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
I don't want to chime in on this thread, because if my wife ever comes across it she'll realize my golf spending habit is way worse than she thought!

I know this feeling. It's an overriding fear that consumes me.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »
My wife has her sports and leisure account for running, spinning, gym memberships, yoga, booze, and more recently, ping pong. I have my sports and leisure account for golf, guitars, gym memberships, basketball, and booze. I can't see hers, and she can't see mine. It works wonderfully. Of course, we also have a joint booze account.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back