News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: The Average Serious Golfer Spends Nearly $900 A Year On Golf Clubs
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »
Do vintage Hickories count?   8)   
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

Mark Smolens

« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
Well, I regripped my clubs last year. That was $200. The year before: $0. The year before that: $0.

I don't know anyone that spends $900 each and every year on clubs.

$200 to regrip your clubs?? How many clubs in your bag?

Doug Siebert

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
I've maybe spent $900 on clubs in the past decade - most of it on drivers. I'll have a new driver made from clone components about once a year, figuring that maybe 1 out 3 will work out in the long run. I can't see spending $500 on one - I know how little difference they really make in either score or enjoyment, so I end up spending more like $100-$120 on one that's nearly identical to the $500 model...

I spend about $100 a year on balls - two dozen new balls a year. Those who have played with me are probably thinking "only two dozen?"
My hovercraft is full of eels.

David Davis

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »
Perhaps the article was a cleverly paid advertorial, though I didn't see it, Golf Digest doesn't make the swim well to The Netherlands I guess.

I'm not sure if I quality as serious either, is there a higher category? Average over 100 rounds a year and up until recently nearly everything has been sponsored. Yes, cleverly so I might add (pats self on back ever so slightly). Not because I'm any good but because I'm creative and determine what kind of exposure I can provide those companies that have something I'd like to have. Titleist AP2's (about 4 years old now) but done by a custom fitter. Cost 0 but opportunity cost was a couple hours of advice on marketing and expansion. Wedges, driver, bag all fall under this same category. Also have a belt sponsor and a ball sponsor. These as extensive travel mixes well with social media competitions for example. Ball sponsor uses photos I take of the ball + logo on social media contests. Belt similar. I used to receive my clothing also like that. However, I've been slacking a bit and have a clothing sponsor opening now, someone moved on and changed jobs and the new guy didn't like the idea as much. Never had a shoe arrangement so spend about 300 euro/year there I guess. Recently bought two very nice Adidas rain jackets (a brand which I don't love, not being a fan Sergio, Tommy Haas or the old German national team (soccer). However this stuff was great waterproof, stretchable, breathable material and extremely comfortable, not too mention on closeout at 60% off so I've got 2 at the price of less than a third of one of these $600 jobs. Not a yearly thing so acceptable.

Coaching about 600 euro/year at 50 euro/hour and travel, well another story but I have a lot of "air miles" from weekly air travel so many flights are on pts which helps. Still I make up the difference others spend on equipment with travel costs and then some.

I wonder what the average golfer spends on travel? I guess it won't be that much.

For the record I seriously doubt there is anything remotely average golfer about anyone on this site, with exception of perhaps height and weight. The average golfer I suspect is not hanging out on golf forums of any kind.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

AChao

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2016, 02:56:45 AM »
I have to say I'm shocked at how many sets of Parsons Golf clubs I've seen at my club.  I would think no one would buy them, but I've already seen 4 people use them.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2016, 06:10:17 AM »
My driver is two years old, irons, second hand, fairways and putter can't remember but 2/3 years old... and not looking to re-new anything.

How much have I spent on travel and courses... I really don't want to know. I could have had several Rolex watches instead, I know that!

Michael Marzec

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2016, 08:09:37 AM »
So there is someone out there spending close to $1800 a year because I haven't spent a dollar on clubs the last few years. Well, that's not entirely true. I paid with bourbon for my current driver and for a regrip last year. It was good bourbon, so there is that.

But I have a long-held motto when it comes to chasing a better game through new clubs: it's not the club, it's the clubee.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Michael Marzec

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2016, 08:12:02 AM »
$200 to regrip your clubs?? How many clubs in your bag?

Dap
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Jim Franklin

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2016, 08:19:17 AM »
I get new wedges at least once a year. I don't think that adds up to $900. New grips every year, couple new gloves... Now every so often I will get a new driver depending on technology's latest enhancements....
Mr Hurricane

Eric Smith

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »
David I agree you are in a whole other category.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »
I've stayed married to the same woman for 34 years now so I treated myself to a set of Parsons clubs with the exception of a couple of Scratch wedges and a Scotty putter. Stuck em all in a new waxed canvas Mackenzie bag for good measure. I may play a round in the rain this year and didn't want to get my leather one wet. Sorry, but I love this industry and will continue to piss away money in the face of it.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2016, 03:12:43 PM »
For the record I seriously doubt there is anything remotely average golfer about anyone on this site, with exception of perhaps height and weight. The average golfer I suspect is not hanging out on golf forums of any kind.

The average anyone isn't hanging out on forums. For any interest ranging from skiers to Audi owners to Comcast customers to Trump voters, if you hang out on internet forums and discuss that interest that makes you an oddball compared to the 'average' person who shares your interest. If you discuss a narrow offshoot of that interest, like golf architecture instead of golf generally, that labels you a double oddball.

I'm sure everyone in this forum is way above average when it comes to the number of times they see a landform in passing and imagine how it would work as a golf hole :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Pat Burke

« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »
Interesting for me to think about.
I still get generous support from a few companies for equipment.

But since I started playing seriously again two years ago, I have probably spent about $3000-3500 on shafts,grips,
clubs, putters in 2 years.

Amazing honestly, as most of the clubs in my bag are usually comped clubs from companies.
I have 3 putters, 5wood, 3 wood, 4 wedges, one set of Ping irons, a set of Titleist irons,
and reshafted irons 2 times.  The irons are a constant source of problems as I try to find a way to increase my woefully low spin rates (currently on Taylor Made .
I have one student, who has replaced his full bag, almost annually.  Many are trying drivers all the time.
And I'm not even talking about golf balls and the expense of them!

JJShanley

« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »

But since I started playing seriously again two years ago, I have probably spent about $3000-3500 on shafts,grips,

Amazing honestly, as most of the clubs in my bag are usually comped clubs from companies.
I have 3 putters, 5wood, 3 wood, 4 wedges, one set of Ping irons, a set of Titleist irons,
and reshafted irons 2 times.  The irons are a constant source of problems as I try to find a way to increase my woefully low spin rates (currently on Taylor Made .
I have one student, who has replaced his full bag, almost annually.  Many are trying drivers all the time.

Perhaps veering OT here, but I wondered: do college players do their own repairs and adjustments?  (I understand if this breaches confidentiality, meaning that you can't answer.)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »
During a recent visit to the PGA Superstore in Scottsdale, I witnessed an elderly gent purchase a XXIO Prime Driver for $799. There's always hope.

http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/xxio-mens-prime-driver/1000000001718.jsp
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

AChao

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2016, 05:49:36 PM »
He'll need a custom shaft also ...

Pat Burke

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2016, 02:08:04 AM »

Perhaps veering OT here, but I wondered: do college players do their own repairs and adjustments?  (I understand if this breaches confidentiality, meaning that you can't answer.)

Kids I work with have someone do the work mostly.  Haven't seen too many kids that are tinkerers with their clubs.  I'm sure they're out there!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »
I just picked up the set of new irons that I ordered. It's Feb. 20 and I'm already over the $900 mark for the year.

Steve Lang

Re: The Average Serious Golfer Spends Nearly $900 A Year On Golf Clubs New
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2016, 08:50:53 PM »
 :o   Jeff,

Are you  average and serious or serious & average?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:59:10 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back