News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: post-BUDA golf 2016 Ireland
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »
I don't want to be a pest, but rather than be the odd man out at 1030, best to fit me into the third foursome at 8am with the rest of the lot, if you can...   Hopefully you'll get two more to actually make a full third 4some.  I trust Whitaker or Mayhugh or both will sort me out that morning with a ice bucket dousing as needed.   ;D

BTW, for those looking to book a flight, FYI, Aer Lingus is running some great RT deals from Chi - ORD, Bos and NY.  My issue is a damn RT Green Bay to ORD is half the price of the whole RT to Dublin. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:43:10 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »
Amateur golf is alive and well in Ireland and 3 of the biggest tournaments are on classic links.

Every Easter its the West of Ireland played over Rosses Point aka County Sligo.

Today is semi and final day and if Dermot McElroy can successfully defend his title then he may think long and hard about what happened to the last person to achieve that, a decade ago.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/west-of-ireland-championship/

Ken Kearney used to post on here. He won it in 1992 but lost in the '94 final to one P Harrington.
Shane Lowry won in 2008.

In Ireland the names of Burke, Ewing and Carr live on even though, as far as I know, none ever turned pro.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:49:29 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »
Amateur golf is alive and well in Ireland and 3 of the biggest tournaments are on classic links.

Tony, don't you mean 4 or even 5? The four provincial championships are on links courses (Rosses Point, Baltray, Portrush, Lahinch) and the revived Irish Amateur Open Championship is a permanent (for now) fixture at Royal Dublin. The Irish Close tends flip between links and parkland courses (such as Malone, Westport, Carlow, Tramore, etc.) and has done for many a year.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
Not quite sure how 'new' this 'new' short video of Carne is but it's just soooo nice that I can't help myself in not linking to it herein - enjoy -

http://www.carnegolflinks.com/news-events/video.html
:)
Atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »
Thanks for getting the juices running Thomas.  One feels like the feather floating in the scenes from Forest Gump as we glide over this amazing piece of land on the Irish Coast.  Garity's linked video is also spectacular. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Norbert P

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
  If anyone is going exploring for hidden gems,  I'll suggest Narin and Portnoo.  Great sporty fun guarded by a caravan park.
Also, Connemara Links, though no Carne, has some heroic golf to behold.

Mulranny is an interesting choice for travelling the world and hope you all enjoy it.  I didn't play it as it was crazy windy that day but could imagine Julie Andrews out there spinning and singing if it was more pleasant.   The turf there is a unique amalgamation of species called machair.  Take a moment to appreciate it.

Also, for lodging in Belmullet,  http://www.belmullet-accommodation.com/     The Drom Caoin is a great B+B with fantastic hostess.  Mairin knows all the history of the town if you want it - with lessons in Gaelic!

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »
That sounds like a good plan at Naran&Portnoo Slag.  I just booked some post Buda lodging for Sept 9-10 at Dunfanghy Jazz fest and after leaving Ocean Sands on the morn of 7th, will be making that coast drive past Portnoo anyway.   

If anyone is hanging around up north, I'm still planning on making the northern route, and will apply to get on Portrush (I haven't made the inquiry yet).  But, I don't feel locked into that, and will probably mix some sightseeing with some other rounds like Slag suggests at Portnoo as I make my way around the north shores and back to Dublin -leaving there 18th. 

So if anyone so inclined sees another day in that time span who would like to try for a meet-up round, I'd love to give it a go.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 05:33:46 AM »
Lou and Steve are joining the Tuesday golf... Both are very welcome.

I'll make sure to firm up the actual tee-times at both clubs and will report back on this thread.

Ally

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
Aly,

Please book Jerry Kluger and me for the 10:20 at Rosses Point.

At this time we will NOT be able to make Strandhill.

Thanks!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
A) Are any folks from the US/Canada/etc or Europe intending to be in England/Wales/Scotland either immediately before or immediately after Buda this coming Sept?

If so it might be possible to arrange a E/W/S game/get-together somewhere/sometime. Post details herein if you wish or send me a PM if you're interested, especially if you're likely to be in the English-Welsh borders or Midlands area.

B) Are there any UK Buda-ites who are intending to fly via Birmingham to/from Knock (flights with Flybe)?

If so by all means get in touch as we might be able to save some £££ by hire car sharing at the Ireland end. I have flown the Birm-Knock route before and used Flybe with success and have a few tips which might be of help.

Atb

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
Aly,

Just wanted to make sure you saw that Jerry Kluger needs to be added to the Rosses Point list. We would like be in the 10:20 (or later) group, if possible.

We will NOT make Strandhill.

Thanks!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
I want to give both Rosses Pt and Strandhill a go.  I figure if I peter out, I'll just leave a 9 or the whole 18 at Strandhill on the table and perhaps just walk a bit of it without playing.  But as of now, I plan to play.  One never knows how that much golf will play out on my getting a wee bit older 67yr old body...  ::)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »
Aly,

Just wanted to make sure you saw that Jerry Kluger needs to be added to the Rosses Point list. We would like be in the 10:20 (or later) group, if possible.

We will NOT make Strandhill.

Thanks!

I have it Mike. All booked but I will update the post this week.

I'm also going to nominate the tee-times and put a leader in each time whose responsibility it needs to be to contact Rosses Point if by any chance they need to change arrangements.

Given that I won't be there, I won't be able to coordinate any last minute decisions due to an excess of drink / golf etc...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
Strandhill GC -

These may be of interest -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1W8Hx9CUyHw - wonderful looking shelved green and fairway humps and bumps and hollows in the first few seconds - wow!
&
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv49d2lQIXM - recent course/bunker upgrades

Atb
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:04:00 AM by Thomas Dai »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 02:59:14 PM »
If Jerry decides he wants to play Strandhill I would probably be up to carrying someone's bag for the round. No fee (or tip) required!  ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »
One thing seems sure.... we'll all sleep well. ;D

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2016, 05:00:43 PM »
Ally,

Could you add me to the Rosses Point list although like Mike and Dick I'd prefer the 10:20 time - another 36 a day is probably not in me, so probably no Strandhill.  From the other thread it seems Michael Graham will be dropping out.

Trying to catch up here; who's going on to N&P and/or Dunfanaghy?  Or other plans.  I'll probably head back across the big pond on Friday or Saturday.  Looking for playing partners.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »
Brian, see I.M.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 08:42:54 AM »
All,

Original post updated with names and tee-times.

Rosses Point (from 08.00) = €75 per head
Strandhill (from 15.00) = €35 per head

You will note that for Rosses Point, I have nominated a lead name for each tee time. I have informed the club that the lead name is responsible for the group so any changes or requests please get in contact with the club directly from now on. Given that I won't be there, I do not wish to take responsibility for any no-shows / additions etc... As for Strandhill, I just booked three times from 15.00. They will be a little more flexible on numbers so just make sure to arrange yourselves in to groups.

Thanks,
Ally

Rich Goodale

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
I posted on an IM thread that Josie and I will not be heading to Dunfagehy (sic) due to travel fatigue.  Next year!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 06:17:39 AM »
Ally,

Conrad Gamble and I are, rather belatedly, considering our options for post-BUDA golf.  At some point we're going to head over to Portrush.  However, given the brevity of my appearance at BUDA proper, it would be great to spend a bit more time with the crowd.  If it fits in with our schedule, would there be more spaces with you guys on the Tuesday?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 08:00:25 AM »
Ally,

Conrad Gamble and I are, rather belatedly, considering our options for post-BUDA golf.  At some point we're going to head over to Portrush.  However, given the brevity of my appearance at BUDA proper, it would be great to spend a bit more time with the crowd.  If it fits in with our schedule, would there be more spaces with you guys on the Tuesday?

Mark, looks like there will be at least two spots in the 08.00 groups at Rosses Point (possibly 3 if Ben Stephens can't make it and even 4 if Dick Daley moves to the 10.20 group)... So I would just agree it with the particular leads that I nominated.

You'll be fine at Strandhill because they can take at least 12 and there's likely scope to add a tee-time if needed.

Ally

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »

Mark,

I was planning on trying to get on Portrush after BUDA as well.  Unfortunately the only day I could make it work in my itinerary was the day after Rosses Point.  Sadly, it turns out that that Wednesday is a club event and they have no times available.  I'm still looking for an alternative, before heading down to Royal County Down on the Thursday.

Ally,

Mark Pearce

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »
Bryan,

Have you got a time at RCD?  We weren't able to get one.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
Mark,

Yes I got a time on the 8th at 12:18 as a single.  They told me I'd be with three other golfers.  They also offered 11:06, but that might also be a single spot.  If you and Conrad are interested in the 8th I could inquire as I'm still in the process of making the payment.

Do you and Conrad have plans for the 7th?  Seems Wednesdays are popular days and I need something sort of on the way, however roundabout, between Rosses Point and RCD.

Bryan

Bryan,

Have you got a time at RCD?  We weren't able to get one.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back