News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

post-BUDA golf 2016 Ireland
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
As promised, this is a thread to collate some interest in activities after the formal BUDA 2016 which will be played in Mulranny, Carne & Enniscrone.

The official thread for that weekend is being curated by Robin Hiseman and can be found here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61765.0.html

BUDA closing ceremony will occur on early evening Monday 5th September at Enniscrone once the singles are complete. It is from that point that this thread picks up.

As activities close quite late on the Monday, the recommendation is to stay on as a group in Enniscrone accommodation that evening, either in The Ocean Sands hotel (http://www.theoceansandshotel.ie/) or the more characterful Waterfront House (http://waterfronthouse.ie/).

For Tuesday, I have arranged morning golf at Rosses Point (cost €75) and afternoon golf at Strandhill (cost & time TBA but cheap).

There is a choice of two tee-time blocks at Rosses Point, either 8.00 sharp or 10.20. The drive from Enniscrone to Rosses Point is about 1 hr 10 minutes. The drive from Rosses Point to Strandhill is approximately 20 minutes.

Could you please come back to me on this thread and advise the following:

1. Do you wish to play Rosses Point on Tuesday morning?
2. Would you prefer 8.00 or 10.20?
3. Do you wish to play Strandhill late Tuesday afternoon?
4. Would you like me to organise group golf in Donegal for Wednesday? Thursday? Or will you make your own arrangements?
5. If so, would you prefer a Narin & Portnoo / Cruit Island 27 holes or would you prefer a Dunfanaghy / Rosapenna / Portsalon trip? Or perhaps one 18 hole round at Donegal (Murvagh) as this is closest.

I'll update this thread as names add / get confirmed... Also with accommodation recommendations once I know if / where people are travelling. For the Tuesday night, Rosses Point itself is a lovely wee village. Strandhill is in a spectacular location, has some decent lodging and a nice pub but the village itself perhaps has a little less charm.

Tuesday 6th September - Rosses Point (08.00) - €75 per head

08.00 Group: Tony Muldoon (lead), James Boon, Ben Stephens
08.10 Group: John Mayhugh (lead), Garland Bayley, Dick Daley
08.20 Group: Niall Carlton (lead), David Nelson, Lou Duran, Steve Wilson
10.20 Group: Mike Whitaker (lead), Jerry Kluger, Bryan Izatt

Tuesday 6th September - Strandhill (15.00) - €35 per head

1. Thomas Dai

2. Bill Dai
3. James Boon (possible)
4. Ben Stephens (possible)
5. Tony Muldoon
6. Garland Bayley
7. John Mayhugh (probable)
8. Dick Daley
9. Lou Duran
10. Steve Wilson

Ally
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:38:08 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Michael Graham

Re: post-BUDA golf 2016 Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »
Ally,

Thanks again for organising post Buda golf. Could you please put me down for the 08:00 tee time at Rosses Point on the Tuesday morning. Unfortunately after that the real world awaits with my flight home on Tuesday late afternoon.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »
Ally

Need to check with my travelling companion but could you provisionally put myself and David Nelson down for the early shift at Rosses Point. The later time probably won't work for us.

Thanks

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
Ally,
Thanks to you and Robin for this and for all the arrangements etc.
Please put son and I down for pm Tues at Strandhill.
Still pondering more golf thereafter but not sure just yet.
I've played and would very happily play again at Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Dunfanaghy, both courses at Rosapenna plus Portsalon and can recommend them all.
Tab

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
Josie and I are going to Dunfanaghy.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 03:43:36 AM »
Ally,

Thank you for picking up the post Buda golf as well!  :o

I'm certainly up for the 8am tee time at Rosses Point.

Thereafter I'm afraid I'm still a bit up in the air... I may head home that afternoon or I may decide to stick around a few more days as a kind of early celebration for a birthday milestone the following week... In which case I would obviously be up for the afternoon at Strandhill, then my preference is for Narin & Portnoo plus Cruit Island 27 hole day. From what I can tell I suspect Cruit Island might well be the prefect end to this week of golf?

Also depends on my travelling companion Ben, but I've never know him to say no to none stop golf...  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »
Put me down for a day of rest after three days of Buda :)

I'll be heading home on Wednesday, but I am touring Kerry in the week leading up to our festivities, so if anything transpires down there pre-Buda, that might get my attention.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:12:12 PM »

I may head home that afternoon or I may decide to stick around a few more days as a kind of early celebration for a birthday milestone the following week...

25th?   You know you are getting older when the Architects start looking younger....

Ally I am a definite for Rosses Point and Enniscrone. 

Have reserveda room at Waterfront Ho on Booking.com for £84. Can cancel if anyone can get a better rate?
Stayed there once before. View is truly lovely.

Will now drive to  Belfast Airport Tuesday night and fly out first plane Wednesday AM.   Many thanks for ALL your efforts on this. I just wish I could stay all week.

Weds, Thurs and Friday sleep at desk. See if anyone notices.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:53:42 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 04:29:13 PM »
Barbara and I are heading south after the Monday wrap-up at Enniscrone. We have a noon tee-time at Lahinch on Wednesday and a 2:30 p.m. tee-time Thursday at Ballybunion before heading to Dublin and our flight home. Thanks for all your good work arranging these options.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:43:31 AM »
For those heading to terrific Enniscrone who've been there before, I understand the difficult to hit and stay on table-top 2nd green is no longer. It's apparently been redone and now sits more at grade height. Any confirmation, other alterations or anyone know generally more?

atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:12:28 AM »
For those heading to terrific Enniscrone who've been there before, I understand the difficult to hit and stay on table-top 2nd green is no longer. It's apparently been redone and now sits more at grade height. Any confirmation, other alterations or anyone know generally more?

atb

Clyde Johnson has been doing a little work down there, including that alteration.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »

I may head home that afternoon or I may decide to stick around a few more days as a kind of early celebration for a birthday milestone the following week...

25th?   You know you are getting older when the Architects start looking younger....

Ally I am a definite for Rosses Point and Enniscrone.  Will now drive to  Belfast Airport Tuesday night and fly out first plane Wednesday AM.   Many thanks for ALL your efforts on this. I just wish I could stay all week.

If Muldoon is in for Rosses Point and Enniscrone I am too! He never makes a bad travel decision!!!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
8 am Rosses Point and Strandhill in the afternoon for me.

I currently plan Donegal for Wed. Narin & Portnoo for Thur. Dufanaghy Fri.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:30:12 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 06:24:59 PM »

Ally I am a definite for Rosses Point and Enniscrone.  Will now drive to  Belfast Airport Tuesday night and fly out first plane Wednesday AM.   Many thanks for ALL your efforts on this. I just wish I could stay all week.

If Muldoon is in for Rosses Point and Enniscrone I am too! He never makes a bad travel decision!!!

Oops! Muldoon did make a mistake!!!

Put me down for Rosses Point and Strandhill. Not sure yet where I'll go from there.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 04:33:43 AM »
Ally

My flight home from Knock has been rescheduled to 15:55, so I may well now play Rosses Point at 8am. I won't want to commit to it until the day however, so keep me in reserve. I may well come along for a walk around only.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:08 AM »
Original post updated with names...

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
Any advice as to whether my wife and I should make lodging reservations for all of our pre-and post-BUDA travels? We have two nights reserved at an Airbnb in Dublin, then will work our way north to play County Down and Portrush before heading to Belmullet. We will then proceed south to play Lahinch and Ballybunion before returning to Dublin. We got some travel/leisure time built in, so we're considering leaving a few nights open to see where the road takes us. We have all our golf rounds reserved, but would we also be better off getting advance lodging reservations for every night of our trip? Thanks for any suggestions.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »

1. Do you wish to play Rosses Point on Tuesday morning?
2. Would you prefer 8.00 or 10.20?
3. Do you wish to play Strandhill late Tuesday afternoon?
4. Would you like me to organise group golf in Donegal for Wednesday? Thursday? Or will you make your own arrangements?
5. If so, would you prefer a Narin & Portnoo / Cruit Island 27 holes or would you prefer a Dunfanaghy / Rosapenna / Portsalon trip? Or perhaps one 18 hole round at Donegal (Murvagh) as this is closest.

1.  Please include me for Rosses Point on Tuesday morning.
2.  8AM
3.  Strandhill on Tuesday afternoon - tentative yes.
4. I'll probably make my own arrangements for the Weds.  Narin & Portnoo/Cruit Island sure are tempting. 

Thanks for doing this.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 05:13:01 AM »
I'm out again. Flight time changed.

Seriously, you guys must be bionic to think you can hack around another 36 after the special forces training we'll be putting you through at Carne.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 03:43:33 PM »
Robin is right.  If you plan on walking the 27 holes of Carne, it is the equivalent of walking 54 holes at Dornoch or St. Andrews.  Be warned and be prepared.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 06:47:18 PM »
Robin is right.  If you plan on walking the 27 holes of Carne, it is the equivalent of walking 54 holes at Dornoch or St. Andrews.  Be warned and be prepared.

and if you're hitting it crooked Enniscrone is no walking picnic.
I once played with a pro who ditched his trolly on the 4th hole after attempted dune climbing repeatedly crashing his cart ;) ;D [size=78%] [/size]
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 01:23:53 PM »
As Jeff says Enniscrone can be a bit of a hike, worth it though, terrific course.

The 17th at County Sligo and the subsequent walk up and back to the 18th tee is pretty steep and tiring. The 2nd hole is pretty uphill too although I wonder how 'different' Rosses Point will be after the upgrades that are being undertaken?

Very much looking forward to visting the courses in this area again though.

Atb

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »
I can play 9 holes on my flat home course without any pain! So I reckon I could do this two or three days in a row, too. How much further could the step up to Buda be? I am pretty optimistic.

Anyone care to give me any shots? :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
I'll give it a go for the 6th at Rosses Pt if I can get in a tee time of the 10:20 slot as I may need a little extra time to get 'sorted out' after the previous days.  I'd also like to try Strandhill and be in the last tee time of our group for same reasons.  Then, my intention is to head on for R&R to Dunfanaghyjazzfest for around 8th-10th (no confirmed lodging yet...)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »
First post updated with names...

Not long back from Strandhill where we have so far reconfigured the bunkering on the 1st, 8th, 10th, 11th and 17th... Next work will likely be after we visit in September.

Ally

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back