News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Armchair (AAC) (V) 2016 18 hole (Klinger Golf Club)
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:05:55 PM »
The 18 Hole AAC V is here.  I look forward to this competition on an 100 acre site in the Toledo area.  The existing course is called Tamaron CC, and its prior name was Sunningdale CC.  The course hosted the Ohio Open in 1967.  It has fallen into disarray, but the land is good.  Half the property is in Michigan and other is in Ohio.  The Ohio part of the Topo is in 2ft contours and the Michigan I converted 5ft contour lines to 2ft lines the best I could. The soil is predominately sand.  To the south of the existing golf course is where a new clubhouse and parking lot would go (heavily treed area east of Apartment complex).  The existing Clubhouse and parking lot use up quality land for Golf use.  There is some flooding issues of the existing creek.  I proposed a U shaped drainage ditch which i noted in a dot like fashion, which you can move to your liking 10-15 yards.  You can see current Irrigation pond on Soil map and Google Earth. You can include current Irrigation Pond that is on Soil map/Google Earth or you can provide another option such as an Irrigation Creek or move the irrigation pond to your liking. Current irrigation pond uses Creek water. Looking for a par 69 or 70 golf course with a great routing. #1 needs to be on South side of property where new parking lot/Clubhouse would be.  Also feel free to remove as many or all trees if you like for your design.  I hope everyone has fun.  The honorable Rob Collins will be judge of this contest.  Email me at bunkers79@aol.com for attachments.  Entries due March 1st!

Location of Clubhouse/Parking Lot below

Entries Received
Dieter Jones
Josh Bills
Will Peterson
Adrian Stiff
Bob Brightly
Colton Craig
Kenny Schweitzer
Bob Montle
Carmen Dorso
Ben Cowan MI
Neil White
Joe Zucker
Matthew Rose
Ben Hollerbach
Andy Gray
JP (John Percival)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:38:12 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Armchair (AAC) (V) 2016 18 hole
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 04:24:54 AM »
Ben - Does the clubhouse, parking lot have to move? Very expensive to do so. Is there a jpeg topo map?

Adrian
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:53 AM »
Will there be some kind of programmatic statement about clubhouse and parking lot?  A required minimum number of parking spaces would be helpful. Complexity and level of food service expectation helpful also, it all takes up room.  How much of a practice range is expected?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:55:31 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
Carl,

There will be no practice range.  The clubhouse will be a nice trailer and it will serve Burgers, dogs, and salads.  Don't worry about the parking lot, this is an exercise of routing.  There is a long entrance road that bring you to current parking lot, the new parking lot and clubhouse will be directly south of where it is now.  The course owns 3.5 acres to south of it and right of entrance road.  80% is covered by trees

Adrian,

Yes, I have the jpeg.  Yes, it has to move for its in very poor shape and taking up valuable golf land.  It won't be that expensive. 

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 03:21:36 PM »
Neil sent me a photo which shows the proposed Clubhouse/Parking Lot location which i posted in opening post.  I also noted the current Irrigation pond found on Soil Map and Google Earth but not on Topo. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:31:20 PM »
Carl,

Yes, I have the jpeg.

Uhhhh can you post it?  :D 

Unless that's it above for which I would ask if you have a more detailed version. And if not if we would want to consider using Google Earth's elevation profile for this site.

Thanks!

BCowan

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 04:38:33 PM »
Carl,

Yes, I have the jpeg.

Uhhhh can you post it?  :D 

Unless that's it above for which I would ask if you have a more detailed version. And if not if we would want to consider using Google Earth's elevation profile for this site.

Thanks!

It's the first photo I posted and I emailed the JPEG to people that requested it.  More detailed, it is in 2ft contour lines, I'd say that is pretty detailed without having site Mapped.  Always recommend using Google Earth for elevation and overview.  you can blow up the photo and print it out on 11 by 17 paper. 

Michael Felton

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »
Do we know the prevailing wind and are there any restrictions on things like trees? Can we remove them if necessary?

BCowan

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
Michael and all,

Out of the West from those Chicago politicians  ;D ;) :o

Bob Montle

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
Ben, can you give us the property dimensions?
From the scale, I estimated 900ft on the North,  1330 ft on the South and 3675 ft on the East.

Is that anywhere close?
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

BCowan

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
Bob,

I just used Google Earth and used measuring tool in yards. 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:23:27 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »
I forgot to include this...  Also feel free to remove as many or all trees if you like for your design.

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »
We have 2 submissions at this point and 8 days left.  I put submissions at bottom of Opening Post.  1 in transit. 

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
7 or 8 of you already turned yours in, great job.  Rob is impressed with them.  I typed your name down at bottom of Opening Post if I received it, double check to see that I have yours accounted for. 

The new name of the Golf course will be Klinger Golf Club
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:33:03 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

Re: Armchair (AAC) (V) 2016 18 hole (New- Klinger Golf Club) Due 11:59pm ton
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »
Last bump.  Entries due at 11:59pm March 1st!  I had already received one email for a new participate today, let me know and I'll email you the goods.  Rob and I have seen some really good work on paper for the new Klinger Golf Club.... 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:16:26 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Joe Hancock

Re: Armchair (AAC) (V) 2016 18 hole (New- Klinger Golf Club)
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »
Ben,

Not that I want to know you to this level, but are you naming the project Klinger Golf Club because of the M.A.S.H. character? I presume it indicates some sort of transformation, but I'd prefer you keep your personal proclivities to yourself!  ;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

BCowan

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Ben,

Not that I want to know you to this level, but are you naming the project Klinger Golf Club because of the M.A.S.H. character? I presume it indicates some sort of transformation, but I'd prefer you keep your personal proclivities to yourself!  ;D

Yes, I am.  I might make Tony Packo's hot dog the course logo too.  The judging Archie has family ties to Toledo.  Who doesn't love the Klinger?  With the LPGA tourney not using his name anymore it's tragic.  As another GCAer said in the past ''The Klinger deserves better''

Matthew Rose

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 06:16:56 PM »
Workin' hard to get mine done...
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:04 PM »
 8)

Klinger GC, can't wait for enjoying a quick chili-dog at the halfway house...  memories similar to Dudley's at Ottawa Park's  11th tee in years gone by...

Regarding Packo's history, where else could Burt Reynolds signing a bun and Corporal Klinger yearning for Hungarian fare ever cross... east side of T-Town.

http://www.tonypacko.com/history.php 

Story on the menu used to talk about how during the depression they decided to split the big sausage into two, so folks felt better about being able to order two portions
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »
Steve,

You understand what's going on.  I'm disappointed Maxwell's coffee shop across from the 3rd tee at OP has closed.  Nothing like an emergency 9 at OP a historical and special place.... 

Back to Packo's my old man got Fritz Von Erich's autograph there when he was 5.  ''The Claw''...  Yes, Packo's at the turn at Klinger's

Matthew Rose

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 01:20:32 AM »
Mine's done, just need to package it up.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

BCowan

Re: Armchair (AAC) (V) 2016 18 hole (Klinger Golf Club)
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »
Thanks to all that entered.  We will have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.  The winner will receive a Tony Packo's meal on me if they visit Toledo.  2nd place prize might be Tara lti honey.  Rob will have all these done by March 15th.   

Bob Montle

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »
That first place prize sounds pretty awesome, Ben!
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Andy Gray

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 07:11:39 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but this was a real challenge trying to utilise the good land in an interesting way without creating a bunch of short holes due to the major landforms being quite abrupt and close to each other. Also, while coming up with my routing I kept realising the the existing course utilised the land it had quite well.

What was everyone else's thoughts?

BCowan

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »
Andy,

I'll post everyone's entry with their permission.  A few people have played the course.  The current routing is decent, but the land is much better then the routing imo.  The current routing has too many raised greens imo.  Also the 14th tee shot causes issues with the 15th tee, bring a drivable short par 4.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back