News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Help! Does anyone have a copy of Jones' "Golf Is My Game" ?
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
I'm writing an article and have planned to use a quote from Mr. Jones about the greens at Augusta National ... but now it's deadline time and I can't find my copy of the book!!  Does anyone on the board have it handy?

Lester George

Re: Help! Does anyone have a copy of Jones' "Golf Is My Game" ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »
Mine is at home.  If you don't get someone right away, I could possibly help tomorrow.  Let me know.

Lester

Chris Cupit

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »
I have mine in front of me.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
Opening line about "The Course", Chapter 20:

"Our overall aim at the Augusta National has been to provide a golf course of considerable natural beauty, relatively easy for the average golfer to play, and at the same time testing for the expert player striving to better par figures."

Is that the quote?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:38:47 PM »
Chris:

I should have known to check Atlanta sources first  :)

The quote I'm looking for is where he talks about the design of the greens ... that to make a par, they require more than simply hitting the green in regulation, and to make birdies requires either an exceptional shot right up to the hole, or holing a putt of considerable difficulty.

That's a bad paraphrase ... I used to remember it by heart.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »
As well as any questions about the proper way to drink a Coke  ;)

I think this is it:  "On the other hand we do not believe that birdies should be made too easily.  We think that to play two good shots to a par four hole and then to hole a ten-foot putt on a dead-level green is not enough.  If the player is to beat par, we should like to ask him to hit a truly fine second shot right up against the flag or to hole a putt of more than a little difficulty."

Hope that helps.

Tom Allen

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »
I know this is not what you are looking for, but it might get us close.  I found (through Google Books) the following:

"With the greens fast and undulating, the putts from medium distances are difficult and the player who leaves his ball on the outer reaches has a real problem to get down in par figures."

That is on page 202, which may help Chris find the exact quote you are looking for.

Page 201:  "Additionally, we try to maintain our greens of such a firmness that they will hold only a well-played shot, and not a ball that has been hit without the backspin reasonably to be expected considering the length of the shot."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
Chris:

That was the quote I wanted.  Thanks for the help.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back