News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Tee Boxes: "Squared off" or rounded?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 11:49:09 PM »
Maybe it's indicative of the kind of courses I play, but I can't remember seeing a tee box that wasn't square, rectangular, or "L" shaped.

What's the point of a round tee box? The straight line between the markers needs to be accommodated, and this is clearly achieved more efficiently if the front and back edges of the tee box are also straight. Why have have extraneous turf to the front and rear? It sounds like an affectation.

Maybe however, I'd change my view of round tee boxes if I ever actually saw one!

Edited to add:

Reading further around this subject, I get the feeling that rounded or free-form tee boxes tend to be used in situations where there are multiple tees. I guess that makes some sense. On the 100 year-old courses I play, there is generally one or at most two large tee boxes for the men with maybe a smaller one in front for the ladies. They are universally rectangular or "L" shaped and to my mind look "right".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:06:38 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Dunlop_White

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »
[Tom Doak quote]On hilly sites, especially where they have to be sited on a slope that's not facing or perpendicular to the line of play, they look absolutely terrible and should be avoided at all costs.The more sets of tees you've got, the worse they look when staggered off the centerline ... because making them all point toward the landing area means they aren't going to be square to each other.

Aah, I agree wholeheartedly and have learned the hard way in both cases.

Here's my thread 11 year ago on this….

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18283.msg324446.html#msg324446

The desire to go all square has created many awkward distracting sets of tees.

My next question is…  Would you prefer that they be consistent looking in shape and form from hole to hole? Or alternatively, can you have a mixed bag of formal and informal shapes within the same course?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:54:29 PM by Dunlop_White »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 12:24:15 AM »
Archie,

We agree on 2 out of 3.

But, as Meat Loaf says, "that ain't bad" ;D

Pat,

Wow! Quoting Meatloaf. Pretty sure our friend Tommy would enjoy!
Tim Weiman

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 04:11:42 AM »

Patrick,

a half decent player will have a very defined target whether playing off the tee or to the green from the fairway. I had assumed you were above the hacker level of just hit it in the direction the tee is pointing. My mistake ;)

Jon,

I know that my memory is not what it used to be, but, I don't recall that many fairways with flagsticks in the ideal DZ

A tee fits its surroundings when it is in harmony with them and when it is not it does not fit

That's a good non-definition.

GCGC, WFW, Seminole, ANGC, MRCC, Baltusrol, Pine Valley and I believe Merion all have rectangular tees, could you or anyone else tell us how they are not in harmony with their surroundings ?

Could you or anyone else tell us how non-rectangular tees wouldn't fit those same surroundings ?

Patrick,

a half decent golfer will take a defined point or line to hit his tee shot to/at. Just launching the ball blindly in the direction the tee is pointing is what many beginners and long term hackers do.  I never said anything about flags in the fairway or ideal DZ but then how would you know where the ideal DZ is!

I am sure that the square tees fit their surroundings perfectly and in the case of PV I know they do. Again, I never said square tees do not fit and they are indeed my favourite type. A non square tee does not fit if it does not fit in with the contours of the land. A wild, freeform tee on a flat site look out of place as their is no reason for the shape.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:57 AM »

Dunlop

You have lost me...below are tee shots on a hilly property...tees squared off...looks good.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 06:14:22 AM »
[Tom Doak quote]On hilly sites, especially where they have to be sited on a slope that's not facing or perpendicular to the line of play, they look absolutely terrible and should be avoided at all costs.The more sets of tees you've got, the worse they look when staggered off the centerline ... because making them all point toward the landing area means they aren't going to be square to each other.

Aah, I agree wholeheartedly and have learned the hard way in both cases.

Here's my thread 11 year ago on this….

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18283.msg324446.html#msg324446

The desire to go all square has created many awkward distracting sets of tees.

My next question is…  Would you prefer that they be consistent looking in shape and form from hole to hole? Or alternatively, can you have a mixed bag of formal and informal shapes within the same course?

Dunlop,

On a hilly site, I think you can have a mixed bag of more informal and formal shapes, as long as they work with the land forms.

Although by formal, I really mean primarily square or rectangular with more rounded corners. Not so keen on the look being so clean as having perfectly squared corners.

Ally

Phil Young

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 08:08:24 AM »
For what its worth...

13th tee on BCC 5 Farms shortly after it opened. That's Tilly sitting on the bench. The tee is neither square nor pointed anywhere near toward the direction of the green.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 09:12:33 AM »
Hate to tell everyone but rounded or oval tees don't look any more "natural" than squared off tees.  The only natural looking tees are tees that don't look like tees (like you would find at Sebonack) where they are just extensions of the fairway.  I personally like squared off tees (especially low profile and offest) and if they are done right (and located properly) they can look and play great.  Like any architectural feature, they can also look like crap if they are not designed well. 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
For what its worth...

13th tee on BCC 5 Farms shortly after it opened. That's Tilly sitting on the bench. The tee is neither square nor pointed anywhere near toward the direction of the green.

Golly, it almost looks like all those early divots actually aim left, sort of the direction the tee points.  Wonder if Pat Mucci got in a few hundred early rounds on 5 Farms?  Even the bench and ball washer point left, aligned with tee.

Of more interest, the change in grass color around the tee suggests that is the area that was torn out of natural meadow grass to level and grade the tee, and then re-seeded with a more typical turf mix.  It may be that the back right, where the bench sits, appears to be squared off, although that could have been from clearing, and not related to any originally intended tee shape.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »
I like squared off tees. I like the attention to detail.

I have zero real golf reason for it other than it I think it looks crisp.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »
Um...practical reason, its easier to shovel the snow off?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »

Patrick,

a half decent player will have a very defined target whether playing off the tee or to the green from the fairway. I had assumed you were above the hacker level of just hit it in the direction the tee is pointing. My mistake ;)

Jon,

I know that my memory is not what it used to be, but, I don't recall that many fairways with flagsticks in the ideal DZ

A tee fits its surroundings when it is in harmony with them and when it is not it does not fit

That's a good non-definition.

GCGC, WFW, Seminole, ANGC, MRCC, Baltusrol, Pine Valley and I believe Merion all have rectangular tees, could you or anyone else tell us how they are not in harmony with their surroundings ?

Could you or anyone else tell us how non-rectangular tees wouldn't fit those same surroundings ?

Pine Valley has free form tees and Merion's are even more free form, as in each tee has a different shape. Neither course has rectangular tee boxes.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »
I don't really think it matters all that much as long as it is consistent throughout the course. Like others, I don't mind the look of a squared off tee on a "classic" course. But at the same time I love the look of short greenside grass bleeding into the next tee.
H.P.S.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »

Anthony,

Pine Valley's tee boxes are predominantly rectangular, albeit with rounded corners.
There's no denying their linear nature.

As to Merion, the majority certainly aren't "free form" with most being linear with rounded corners.

Pine Valley has free form tees and Merion's are even more free form, as in each tee has a different shape. Neither course has rectangular tee boxes.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »

Anthony,

Pine Valley's tee boxes are predominantly rectangular, albeit with rounded corners.

As to Merion, the majority certainly aren't "free form" with most being linear with rounded corners.

Patrick,
  Interesting how "rectangular" became "linear." You stated that the tees at PV and Merion were rectangular. Here are the examples. These are not rectangular and much more closer to free form, in concerns of Merion, as they are consistently different on each hole.

Pine Valley

Merion

Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 04:38:42 PM »
Tom Doak,

From a playing perspective,  I need all the help I can get, and rectangular tees are a great help with alignment.

On the other hand, like # 8 at GCGC,  they can direct you into trouble if you're not careful.

But, there's no  question that I have a far more difficult time with alignment when the tee is a "free form" tee.

I wonder how many other golfers have the same problem with alignment ?

I am in exactly the same boat at Pat that it indirectly assists with aim. I think your mind creates a better frame of reference with a squared tee box as opposed to an undefined or rounded one.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »

Anthony,

Patrick,
  Interesting how "rectangular" became "linear." You stated that the tees at PV and Merion were rectangular. Here are the examples. These are not rectangular and much more closer to free form, in concerns of Merion, as they are consistently different on each hole.

Anthony,

Go to Google Earth and look at every tee box at Pine Valley.

With rare exception, they're rectangular with rounded corners.

ote]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:38:12 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »

Anthony,

Patrick,

Anthony,

Go to Google Earth and look at every tee box at Pine Valley.

With rare exception, they're rectangular with rounded corners.

Pine Valley

Merion

Patrick,
  The picture of PV IS off of google earth. That not a rectangle with rounded corners. And Merion? Those aren't square tees....
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 05:07:46 PM »
Anthony,

Look at every tee at Pine Valley.

Are the great majority "free form" or rectangular with rounded corners ?

Let me know if you want to go hole by hole.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »
Anthony,

Or are they free form with straight sides?  ;D

Anthony, this is just Mr. Mucci's attempt at a 'thread f*#k ::)

Jon

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
Anthony,

Or are they free form with straight sides?  ;D

Anthony, this is just Mr. Mucci's attempt at a 'thread f*#k ::)

Jon

Back peddling now. Won't comment that he misspoke about Merion and "rewording" what was said about PV.
  The tees at PV defiantly do not appear to be retangular with corners. Not square either. More like tees pads, maybe.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Connolly

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 08:23:28 PM »
It's a tee shot - which is about what you're hitting towards, not from.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »
Patrick,

Jon,

Pat:  how do you ever aim away from a flagstick? 

By adjusting my stance

You sure this "it helps me align" stuff isn't all in your head,

I'm positive.
In addition, if the tee is mowed parallel with the aligned border, I'll use one of the mowing paths to refine my alignment.  I do this constantly on properly aligned tees.  And, I've been doing it for longer than you've been on this planet.

like the ridiculous and now conclusively disproven fallacy that ND is better than Northwestern at football?

I see that your delusions continue.
The final rankings for 2015 had  Notre Dame at # 11.
And that's with an inordinate number of key injuries.
Northwestern wasn't even in the top 20.
injuries to ND

I doubt that square tees help you align yourself on the tee.

Then you'd be wrong......... again. 

I believe you THINK they do. 

I know they do, and playing golf for 60+ years has confirmed same.

But, it's amazing how much you know about my game

But that's common with placebo effects. 

I bet you see no difference in your driving whether the tees are square or perfect circles.

Wrong again.
I have a terrible time on non-rectangular tees, I tend to aim too far to the right.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »

For what its worth...

Golly, it almost looks like all those early divots actually aim left, sort of the direction the tee points.

Wonder if Pat Mucci got in a few hundred early rounds on 5 Farms? 
Even the bench and ball washer point left, aligned with tee.

Jeff, I'm a big fan of Five Farms.
Tough starting holes.
What are those closely mown areas to the left of the area in the foreground, the ones with the sharp linear lines ?

Of more interest, the change in grass color around the tee suggests that is the area that was torn out of natural meadow grass to level and grade the tee, and then re-seeded with a more typical turf mix.  It may be that the back right, where the bench sits, appears to be squared off, although that could have been from clearing, and not related to any originally intended tee shape.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:45:05 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 10:35:51 PM »

Anthony,

Patrick,

Interesting how "rectangular" became "linear."

I'll stick with "rectangular" at the clubs I cited, including Pine Valley.
The only reason I used "linear" was due to the rounded corners, a product of mowing.
The footpads remain rectangular.

You stated that the tees at PV and Merion were rectangular.

I cited several courses in reply # 16 with Merion being a definite "maybe"
All of the courses I cited, including Pine Valley have rectangular tees.

Here's my # 16 reply:

Here are the examples. These are not rectangular and much more closer to free form, in concerns of Merion, as they are consistently different on each hole.

Let's go hole by hole at Pine Valley.
I'll give you # 1 as a "free form"
How about # 2, the three tees at # 3, the two tees at # 4, the tee at # 5, the two tees at # 6, the four to five tees at # 7, the tee at # 8, the tees at # 9 ?

Back nine to follow:

Merion

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:45:44 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back