News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Hundred Hole Hike & Hickories
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:45:28 AM »

Hi All,

Does anyone here on the DG know of anyone has done the Hike in the US or anywhere else with hickories? We had a player yesterday play 105 with hickories and carried. I am not sure if Luke is part of the DG here on GCA, but it was an amazing effort, on a course very well suited to the hickory game with fescue fairways.

Summary for those interested - we have just completed our 4th Annual 100 Hole Hike Downunder yesterday at 13th Beach Golf Links - 1st rd on the Creek course and the remainders on the Beach course.

We had 43 golfers of which 31 played individual and a few teams paired to play foursomes. All up we had 37 balls in play. We believe we are at a little over $80,000 for the day with quite a few pledges, sponsors and donations still be tallied - all for Acquired Brain Injury here in Geelong a very large community very grateful for the support ($100k from the past 3). It was a very poor day weather wise, with rain, thunder and lightening - a storm siren saw the players lose 60-90 mins of playing time. 3851 holes played for the day.

First light was just after 6am (due to heavy, humid overcast conditions) and thankfully it cleared a little around 8 pm to allow the last guys to get home in the dark at 9.10pm (2 pairs).

We had one golfer complete 150 holes, he ran the entire day as he was pledged extra if he hit that number - his 8th round took 56 mins. Inspiring and mad.

We had our first Hole In One, we had 3 more Hikers complete their 3rd HHH Downunder. As I said Luke Eipper completed 105 holes with hickories and playing with his brother James all day.

Thankfully, we have amazing support here, Thirteenth Beach Golf Links close the Beach course for us for the day, local not for profit organisation, Karingal, provides extensive support across the community for those affected by disability. Over the last 3 events we have incorporated a music, to assist us to spread the word and reach a much wider audience. So, we now run a series of concerts called Music to a Tee, with lead up events to assist in raising the profile and more funds and the main concert in conjunction with the HHH. The music began yesterday around 3pm and continued into the night until about 11pm, with an amazing line up of local Australian talent some of who had travelled from all over Australia to play for the event. The stage allows us to congratulate and toast the Hikers as they continue in, and past the clubhouse on the quest. The last act, The Backsliders, featured the amazing Rob Hurst drumming talent, from the band, Midnight Oil.

Thanks to anyone here that contributed and of course thanks to Jim for beginning this amazing event.

An OPEN INVITATION for anyone to attend for our 5th HHH Downunder in January 2017 - you will all be welcome.

Cheers
Brett
@theflatsticker

Greg Gilson

Re: Hundred Hole Hike & Hickories
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »
Brett, congratulations on yet another inspiring effort. Well done.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
Playing 100 holes in a day would be hard enough, without making you hit more shots due to using hickories - though I suppose that would give you a good reason to play shorter tees and reduce the mileage.  8)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »
The photo of the score board posted on Brett's Facebook are astounding to me considering the consistency of scores as the completed rounds transpired. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Blake Conant

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
Does anyone here on the DG know of anyone has done the Hike in the US or anywhere else with hickories? We had a player yesterday play 105 with hickories and carried. I am not sure if Luke is part of the DG here on GCA, but it was an amazing effort, on a course very well suited to the hickory game with fescue fairways.

Randy Jensen from Omaha played 409 holes with hickory shafts.  Don't think it was part of HHH, however.
From his profile on hickorygolfhub.com:

Randy also puts that hickory stamina to admirable charity use. “I [once played] 409 holes of hickory golf in one day!” he says. “They have golf marathons for charity and, at one time, I set the world record with 409 holes of golf played in one day. I was going to play the first hundred holes with hickory clubs, but I got in a nice groove and I just played hickory clubs all the way through, 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m… [During these events] the course is closed for just golf marathoners, so I never waited on anybody all day. Nowadays, they light up the course and play for twenty-four hours. My record is long gone!”

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 06:31:02 PM »

Randy Jensen from Omaha played 409 holes with hickory shafts.  Don't think it was part of HHH, however.
From his profile on hickorygolfhub.com:

Randy also puts that hickory stamina to admirable charity use. “I [once played] 409 holes of hickory golf in one day!” he says. “They have golf marathons for charity and, at one time, I set the world record with 409 holes of golf played in one day. I was going to play the first hundred holes with hickory clubs, but I got in a nice groove and I just played hickory clubs all the way through, 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m… [During these events] the course is closed for just golf marathoners, so I never waited on anybody all day. Nowadays, they light up the course and play for twenty-four hours. My record is long gone!”

23 rounds in 15 hours?
Do they make cart bags for histories?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »
Thanks for the link Blake, but I'm with Jeff, 22 rounds + 13 holes in just 15 hrs. ...was it with a putter around mini-golf.

Mens 100mile Track record is 11:28 and Womens is 14:11

I figure 409 holes has got to be around 80-85 miles.

Either way, I expect the are enough hickory aficionados to have done a lot of holes in one day - probably more than 100!
@theflatsticker

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:09:14 PM »
In 2012 Andrew Lewis did the HHH with hickories at Kingsley. He may have played both hickories and moderns, but I think he ended up doing all hickories. He can chime in and confirm. I think he finished at 121 holes.

406 does not sound physically possible under even somewhat normal circumstances. I know of an event in Chicago which they call a golf marathon, but they play on a par three course, hit about ten balls off a tee, call that playing ten holes, then walk the hundred yards back and do it again. That's nothing like the HHH.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
In 2012 Andrew Lewis did the HHH with hickories at Kingsley. He may have played both hickories and moderns, but I think he ended up doing all hickories. He can chime in and confirm. I think he finished at 121 holes.

Thanks very much Bill, that is the kind of info I was after.
That would have been a lot of fun around Kingsley I expect.  :)
@theflatsticker

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:10:01 PM »

Thanks very much Bill, that is the kind of info I was after.
That would have been a lot of fun around Kingsley I expect.  :)

Hi Brett -

As Bill mentioned, I did indeed complete the Hike at Kingsley with hickories.  Staff members helped me by caddying a couple of the rounds, but I otherwise carried my own bag.

Interestingly, I found the hickories on a course like Kingsley very manageable and even helpful in terms of playability -- less power and dispersion off the clubface meant more time in the fairway.  From mostly red/white tees, I shot in the mid/upper-80's.

And while I have no reason to question Mr Jensen's claim of 409 holes played, I would have to think it was done on a cart or in a different format than contiguous rounds on a full-length course.  I kept a pace of ~90 minutes/round and even if I hadn't taken a long break at lunch and stopped well before sunset so as to drink some fine scotch with a friend and fellow HHH'er, I don't think I could have reach 200 holes in a day, more or less double that.

Cheers, Andrew

JJShanley

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »
Without wanting to threadjack, how far do you walk for the 100 holes?  25 miles?  I imagine Kingsley's northern location makes it perfect for such a day.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 12:20:37 PM »
Without wanting to threadjack, how far do you walk for the 100 holes?  25 miles?  I imagine Kingsley's northern location makes it perfect for such a day.

I believe it can be considerably more, but I haven't worn a tracking device during any of the HHHs that I've done. I think Howard Riefs did though, and the number was somewhere in the high 30s.

Josh Bills

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
I have done two hikes now.  Played 108 holes the first time and 110 holes last year.  Walking distance was around 35 miles each time at Brookside G&CC in Columbus. 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »

My first was around the 62 kms/38.5miles mark (104 holes), and the second around 58kms/36miles (108 holes), I think it is highly dependant on your playing partners if any, transitions between tees and locker rooms and other miscellaneous trips required. Both Hikes were over 15 hours for me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:39:35 PM by Brett_Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 12:58:48 PM »
So...409 holes in one day?

Assuming you had the entire 24 hours,  that's 24 * 60 minutes per hour = 1440 minutes per day.

1440 minutes/409 holes = 3.5 minutes per hole. **

** This must also take into account bathroom breaks, eating, drinking, time getting from green to tee, etc. 

Call me skeptical, but I'm not seeing how anyone can do this at anything but a par 3 course, and even then that's asking a lot..

P.S.  Randy allegedly did it in 15 hours, 6 AM to 9 PM which would mean he had to average just 2.2 minutes per hole....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back