News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

I've never heard that the pars of 15 and 16 were switched.  It must have been a long time ago; the current configuration is the only one I've known at HVCC.

In any event, it is a good switch, even with the quirk of the routing that you mention.  16 is a great par 4, but could never have been an especially good 5.  And 15 is a very solid par 5; an easy par, but with a difficult, smallish green if you are going for it in 2; up and down from anywhere around that green is not easy.

Thanks for posting these pictures; very well done.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Carl Nichols

Very good friends of ours live in Hope Valley and belong to the club, so I've had the chance to play the course a few times when we're in Durham.  I think it's a great club--terrific vibe, family-friendly, strong course, etc.  But I just can't see the course making a case for top 200--it's very solid, but there's very little about it that struck me as extraordinary. 

Mark McKeever

Thanks for the rest of the tour Mark!  I will have to try to get downthere eventually to see it.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Kris Spence

"At Hope Valley, our job wasn't to create an exact replica of the course as it was in 1926.  You can't do that.  Our job was to give the members a course that's true to the spirit of Ross's design, but at the same time can stand up to the capabilities of the modern player.  It's a restoration, not a reproduction."

I toured the course with the original Ross drawings a few years back and was surprised the club did not use them in restoring the greens.  The drawings show some really wonderful and creative jRoss features on and around the greens that were not restored.  They  don't resemble any Maxwell greens Ive seen either so Im not sure what the club was after or if they asked them to be tamed down.  My understanding it that Dan Maples had reworked them previously and the club felt they were too severe.  Maybe that had something to do with it?

BCowan

Mark

Thanks for the photo tour.  Will be playing there in the fall most likely. 

BCowan

I played Hope a few months ago and I think the course is very solid.  I enjoyed reading Kris Spence's post regarding the greens themselves and the surroundings.  I felt the greens which were very enjoyable and challenging from the fairway had a bit too many false fronts.  It didn't help that surrounding were soft. 

There really aren't any weak holes on the course and I think the 6th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and especially 18 are the standout holes. Tree removal would really help dry out the course.  I really like the short cross bunkers that aren't in play for the better golfer but add spice to the tee shot.  Some seem to give lines while others distract the golfer a bit off the tee.  The 18th is a great finishing par 3.  It is simple, difficult, and elegant.  I'm a fan of par 3 finishing holes and wonder how others feel this stacks up against other par 3 finishers?  I had to laugh and chuckle at some who think Holston Hills shouldn't be in the top 100.  Hope is a very solid course and one should definitely play when in the area.   

Sean_A

Mark

Thanks for the Hope pix...never had a good look before.  I must say I am don't see anything which particularly grabs me, but I would like to see it one day. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back