News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Dawson

Re: Your favorite profile in "Courses By Country?"
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »
It’s a very good question. There are many, but for me it’s the romanticism of the unfamiliar. What is out there that I cannot experience at home?

So, I’m a sucker for the desert-type courses, just for the contrast. And I like remoteness, as living in the SE of England everything is pretty concentrated. So We-Ko-Pa and Apache Stronghold I really like looking through, same with Sand Hills in Nebraska. Anything that might be in a Western film, basically

But for some reason, the one I keep going back to is Prairie Dunes. Looks fantastic.

And I enjoy hearing about Americans leafing through profiles of Woking, Lahinch, Royal Worlington etc. Shows I’m not alone in enjoying seeing new concepts. How fortunate we are

Jim Franklin

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
My favorite is the Rock Creek Cattle Company write up. I could read it every day.
Mr Hurricane

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
The County Down profile is outstanding.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
Googled Sand Hills and went down a very deep rabbit hole. Thanks guys.

Michael George

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »
My favorite profiles are those of courses that are not discussed much outside of this website.  They provide needed exposure to these mostly brilliant classic courses that are underrated by all magazines and other websites. 

For instance, I love his write ups on Country Club Pepper Pike and Kirtland, as they draw attention to 2 courses that are every bit as good as the more famous courses in Ohio.  How Ran has not seen Brookside yet is a mystery to many of us, but he caught these 2 gems, as well as the well known, and wonderful, Canterbury, in northeast Ohio.  Fellow GCA'ers have since come to northeast Ohio and experienced these 2 gems.

Other examples are Fenway, Orchard Lake, Blue Mound and Lancaster - all of which lead me to play there.

On a personal note, I applaud Ran the most for his profile on Dismal River White.  There had been a great deal of discussion about this golf course in the Discussion Group.  Its fans staunchly defended it.  Its detractors loudly dismissed it.   Ran played the golf course and provided a profile that was simply a description of his enjoyment of the course.  It was needed for the site and has essentially stopped the crazy discussions on this topic in the Discussion Group.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

BHoover

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »
Not to echo Mike George too much, but the profile that meant the most to me and piqued my interest in course architecture was that of Kirtland CC. It remains one of my favorite courses.

Doug Wright

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:45 PM »
Like others, I was looking for information about Sand Hills (in 1999). The ensuing discovery of GolfClubAtlas.com via that profile was an "aha" moment...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
I think I first found this site trying to learn more about Kiawah Ocean Course.

There's so many great profiles, I don't know how you possibly pick one. The ones of RCD, Kirtland, Lancaster, Tobacco Road, and more recently, Moraine, are some of my favorites.

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
Huntercombe was my favorite profiled.  It might of been that profile that made me interested in learning more about WPJ.  It was nice to read profiled courses from your area and ones that you have played many times.   

Runner up- Glens Falls
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:26:53 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »
I too found the site in mid '90s when researching for a trip to Kiawah. 

I love the Friar Head profile - the pictures leap off the screen, especially the black-and-white ones and the write-up conveys the different environs very well. 

Of the courses I've played, I studied Black Mesa's profile hard before I played it and it made all the difference. 

Don Hyslop

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
My favourite profile is of Cape Breton Highlands although I will admit I am a little prejudiced. The profile not only captures the beauty of the geography of the Cape Breton Highlands, it also captures the unique beauty and diversity of each and every hole that was laid out by Stanley Thompson . Included is a description of the wonderful walk between the 12th and 13th holes along the Clyburn Brook. The fact that the profile was done during the brilliant autumn colours of the Highlands is an added treat.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back