News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re: Maryvale GC(W.F. Bell/Fought)Phoenix, AZ- Grand Opening 1/1/16
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
Amazing how much of it is grassed - that seems quite unusual for the Phoenix area.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Jerry,

It's not a desert  course, just a parkland course in the desert.

Here's a new article with a short slideshow of some course pictures. I'm sure more pictures will be posted after our Phoenix GCA Outing on February 15:

http://kjzz.org/content/244523/grand-canyon-university-invests-10-million-maryvale-golf-course
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:35:30 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 05:31:17 PM »
Jerry,

It's not a desert  course, just a parkland course in the desert.

Here's a new article with a short slideshow of some course pictures. I'm sure more pictures will be posted after our Phoenix GCA Outing on February 25:

http://kjzz.org/content/244523/grand-canyon-university-invests-10-million-maryvale-golf-course

25th, or 15th? Either one is a miss for me

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
Pete,

Thanks! The 15th it is. Corrected.

That doesn't prohibit you from playing there during your visit... and me either. Looking forward to meeting you. 
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
I played here yesterday. Early Sunday tee time and went out with 3 locals who used to play Maryville all the time and all seemed quite pleased with the new track.

I was charmed. Holes maintain their same corridors, but there were many bunkers added and they are serious hazards. A good bit of earth moved too so that a course which was once flat as a pancake now has at least some movement on holes in ways the leads to greens being slightly elevated, some options as to being in a high spot in the fairway or a low spot which is partially blind, etc. I thought there were several good holes; the best on a first glance being #13, which is very similar to Riviera #10 as a short par 4 where the thin angled green between bunkers means that playing out to the left is probably the best option. Green doesn't compare to Riviera, but it has some nice character to it, including a back half that runs away and makes pitches to back hole locations very tricky.

More than anything, I was just pleased to see the course busy, seemingly mostly with locals and probably 80% of people I saw walking on a brisk Phoenix morning that turned to a warm afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting up with folks there next month and hearing Mr. Fought discuss his work.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
Pete,

Thanks! The 15th it is. Corrected.

That doesn't prohibit you from playing there during your visit... and me either. Looking forward to meeting you.

Will do, say hello to John from me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:00:32 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
Look for an article in Golfweek soon as Brad Klein recently visited the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back