News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Mega OT: the perils of playing in the snow
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »
Unexpectedly, the denizens of Southern Pines woke to snow flurries this morning despite temperatures around 40f.

Having birdied the 18th at Dormie yesterday, I was contemplating retirement à la Jones in 1930 and certainly had no intention of playing.

Yet, snow is a powerful siren.

Ultimately, I decided to have a go and quickly checked with a couple of locals to see if they had similar interest. Alas, not.

My girlfriend of several years piped up, 'If you aren’t going to be mired with the usual miscreants, I’ll tag along.’

Fifteen minutes later, we stood on the first tee of the Royal & Ancient Southern Pines, where the snow was happily gaining momentum. Away we went.

And here is where the day took a drastic turn.

Half way down the first fairway, beaming from ear to ear, something snapped.

I turned to her and inquired politely while mysteriously sober,  ‘Will you marry me?’

WELL! The screech – it could only be likened to that of an eagle spotting a helpless (though adorable) goat trapped on a hillside. Talons out, she attacked. I cowered, ultimately gobbled up in her embrace.

Eventually freeing myself, I squinted up to the first tee through the flakes to make sure we weren’t holding anyway else up. A quick lecture on golf course decorum and on we went.

As she prattled on about this and that, I carefully gauged what allowances were required for the ball skidding on the first bounce on the next several slick greens.

Thankfully, the snow abated by the 6th tee, freeing me to focus on what really matters in life – your golf score!

For the record, we were the only people on the course. My fiancée (already a hinder!) slowed progress to the point it took us a full 2 hours and 7 minutes to walk a mere eighteen.

Today’s morning round will live long in my memory, in part because of a couple of nifty punch 4 irons as well as for a great girl having taken pity and mercifully saying YES.

Best,

Joe Hancock

Re: Mega OT: the perils of playing in the snow
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:46:13 PM »
Ran,

You have many friends here, and we have yet to meet. However, I'll take great joy in being the first to congratulate you right here on your home turf!

Congrats to you and the future Mrs.!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
Ran, you are definitely a 'man of style' in the way I believe this Ben Gazzara monologue implies...

What pathos, what juxtaposition.... on a golf course, the only ones, in the snow, asking her to marry, making pars, playing in prompt time on pace, her saying yes.... pure style, I say.  Congratulations!   :o ;D 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upL99XQ5_jQ&spfreload=10

Will Tuco be the witness to this?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:50:37 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »
whoops, I had to change the link above.  Now try it....
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:53:26 PM »
Congratulations! What a day!

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
Great story Ran, Congratulations!!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »
Like Joe H said, Ran.

All the very best to you and the Mrs.

Rare and blessed is the man who can combine so well his TWO great loves (indeed, blessed is the man who even HAS two great loves).

And as RJ points out, done with "style" - the Ben Gazzara way. (Though, I know my Ben Gazzara types all too well, and if you don't mind unsolicited advice, pleased don't do ANYTHING ELSE like Ben Gazzara....)

Also, time to ditch (most of) the miscreants....the Mrs has been patient long enough, and plus, something seems to happen when someone becomes a Mrs, and almost always that something involves not wanting to have miscreants around!
 :)

All the best
Peter

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »
Congratulations to you both. Well done, Mr M!
I'm already thinking honeymoon in St Andrews. Might as well get the lassie used to your insanity as soon as possible...
Oh, and small tip from me. Never, never, never use the word 'prattle' when describing the delightful trilling of your beloved's voice. Not if you value your manhood anyway...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
Outstanding, Ran. Congratulations! Reception at the Jigger Inn?

John McCarthy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
Well done.  Congratulations.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »
Congrats Ran!
H.P.S.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU!

I have received a few interesting emails to boot.

One said, Did you mean 'dire' instead of 'drastic'? And yes, that was from a poster who is divorced.

Another said, 'Now you are truly Golf's Most Beloved.' True that!

Finally, a cry for a fall Cabot wedding/gathering was forthcoming. A definite consideration!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 07:51:50 PM »
I'm sure you know you are fighting far above your weight!  😜😎

All the best to you and the future Mrs. M, hope to see you sometime in 2016. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 07:52:14 PM »
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
A Hearty Congratulations are in order on several counts.....but first a few questions??

How the hell did this woman say yes? :o

What deceptive methods did you apply to rob her of her better judgment? :-X

By how many shots was she up on you when you decided to change the conversation? ;)

Has she yet come to her senses and run for the hills? ;D

Does she really know what she's getting into? ???

Cheers for you both!!! Congrats!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:29:55 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Steve Lang

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »
Ran,

I'm glad everything settled down by the 6th tee, the tumble down to the 5th green must have been interesting with flurries.. and a clear mind and view is certainly needed off #6 tee and getting around the loop to #9 green

Ms. Sheila & I wish you the best, congrats to you and future bride.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:24:28 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »

Ran,

Congratulations.

I'm very, very happy for you.

There's an inner peace that you acquire when you've found that special person, the ideal companion, friend, lover and wife.

My fondest wishes for a long life of happiness together.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
Ran,
All the best to you and the Queen! I second the well put sentiments of Mr. Mucci.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Eric Smith

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 09:39:11 PM »
What a day! Congratulations, Ran! Super happy for the two of you!

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »
"… to face unafraid
the plans that we made
walking in a winter wonderland."

Greg Holland

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »
Congratulations and best wishes to you both!

Pat Burke

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 01:29:12 AM »
 :D

Matthew Sander

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 02:41:57 AM »
Congratulations! Will you be adorning the denim jacket for the nuptials?

It certainly sounds like an ideal day...all the best!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 04:04:46 AM »
Congrats Ran.

James Bennett

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 04:42:23 AM »
Congratulations.

There is no way my wife of 30 years would ever have come out with me on such a morning - mine is still a keeper though, I suspect so is yours Ran.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back