News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Nicklaus in China...
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
Yes I know its a bit of a sentimental fluff piece,

but according to this JN has 18 projects in China at the moment.  I thought the gov't had put the proverbial kybosh on new courses/development?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/golf/jack-nicklaus-milstein-business-golf/index.html

Adam Lawrence

Re: Nicklaus in China...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
'Projects' covers a multitude of sins. Could be stalled, could be just conceptual, the odd one might even be happening. China is a complicated place, nothing is ever totally straightforward
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
I have even worked on 4 recent projects in China, but none will see the light of day.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »
I have even worked on 4 recent projects in China, but none will see the light of day.....

Hope you got paid!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »
Luckily, yes. 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:41:21 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that 18 is actually a big fat 0 under construction. Plenty of projects half finished and planted with bunch grasses in bunkers and trees in the greens.

I just spent the month of December in China travelling all around the country and very little building construction going on, I think the dust has finally settled with the construction boom. Every city has a brand new airport, highways, and high speed rail lines linking just about every major city. Not much left to do. 

It was as if they were playing Sim City in Sandbox mode for the past 20 years. Not anymore.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
Also, there is no law against totally rebuilding an existing course that has permits to exist [as far as I know, anyway].  There will probably be quite a few projects like that in the next few years, if new construction is forbidden.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back