News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: Your favorite par 4's under 325 yards
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »
I agree that 18 short risk/reward short 4s would be monotonous.

So may of the great fours can easily be played with a 5i and a wedge.  For me the truly tempting ones are 260-290, and the tees I usually play due to low handicap means that most short par fours are at 300-330.

The Mass. Golf Association started conjuring a few short 4s during the match play portion each year in the Mass. Amateur.  Last time I came up against one, it was 295 with perhaps a 285 carry to the green.  This was out of my range, and even though I was losing at the time, I still hit 5i off the tee.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
In addition, if you cut back on some of there yardages and played most of them as par-3's you'd also have a bunch of really fine holes.
Is that true, though?  Taking the example of the 9th at Glasgow Gailes, I think played as a par 3 at anything more than 130 yards would be almost unfairly difficult.  I missed the green with a 40 yard chip and run on Friday that I thought I had judged perfectly.  Trying to hit it with anything more than a wedge would be toughfor most, I suspect and the penalty for missing is a very difficult chip.  I think that is probably true of most of these holes which, if played as par 3s would almost all have to be short par 3s.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2016, 10:41:13 AM »
Brad,

I understand where you're coming from. To take matters a bit further however, I'd be inclinded to view this as an opportunity to play with a restricted distance ball. I do this sometimes.......less walking, less time expended and usually with the ulimate same number of shots played and clubs used as if playing longer holes with a current premium ball.

Mark,

Shortish par-3's was what I had in mind...a certain politician might say they "miss typed".......although what is 'short' these days could easily be a point of debate point given modern grooves and spinny balls etc. Cracking looking hole the one you mention, irrespective of length - https://www.gaileslinks.co.uk/hole-by-hole-guide.html

Atb

Jason Way

« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
I'd second votes for Kingsley #13, Boston GC #5, and some of the others mentioned.

I'll also throw in:

#3 at Shoreacres (the 2nd hole there might be my all-time favorite par-4 of any length)
#10 at WeKoPa Saguaro
#11 at Olympia Fields South
#14 at Colorado GC
#3 at Camargo
#13 at Sand Hollow
#5 at Old Sandwich (bending the rules a bit on this one, but it is a really cool hole)
#17 at Essex County Club

"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
1 Royal Melbourne composite

8 Sand Hills after I knocked it to 18"

9 Rye
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back