News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

GCA Canada-USA Challenge: Is there call for one (or two?)
« on: January 10, 2016, 06:53:22 AM »
It's wonderful to see the interest in the 2016 Midwest Mashie on a concurrent thread. It, the BUDA and other events seem to be what turn a nice, digital forum into a real connecting space for golfers of a certain ilk. It's great to see London, Ontario as a candidate for the Midwest Mashie. I hope that its common council, marketing board and DCR (Daughters of the Canadian Revolution) are able to make a convincing pitch to the selection committee, one that doesn't involve bribery or Tim Horton's.

For us border guys, the idea that London, Ontario would be part of the midwest is natural; we would consider any bits of Canada to our north and east as part of the greater good. For non-border folk, I understand the disconnect.

I'm surprised that we don't have a USA-Canada challenge on the books. I realize that the frontier is vast (4K miles/6.5K kilometers) so perhaps western and eastern challenges could be facilitated. Maybe this would make too many events, maybe not.

The trophy at stake could have a flexible name. Should the USA side prevail, it would hold the "America's Hat" trophy for a year. Should the Canadian squad emerge victorious, it would possess the "Canada's Jock" cup for 365 days (or 365 metric days, for those counting.)

A few years back, Kevin Lynch and I teamed up against Mark Saltzman and Matt Bosela at Cherry Hill. We lost badly, but didn't tell very many people, so USA pride was intact. A few weeks later, we met up with Saltzy and Ian Andrew at Lookout Point and strengthened our hold on America's shame by losing again. It didn't make the papers, as we gag-ordered the media, but we were excommunicated, stripped of our citizenship, and relieved of all documentation related to the USA. We are now men without a country.

If there is a call for such an event/such events (or if they already exist and I'm unaware) let it progress organically, naturally and biologically.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

Re: GCA Canada-USA Challenge: Is there call for one (or two?)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:07:05 AM »
Ronald

As one who would rarely have the opportunity to play in a cross border match, I think it is a great idea as an added event.  The international aspect has great appeal.  Though I think you are missing an easy Canuck Cup for the name  :D ...forget an American counterpoint name. Just imagine the image below somehow mounted on a plinth...simply awesome. All it takes is for a few guys to name a place and a date and go from there. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Marzec

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
Brilliant idea, and one that is too long in coming. I am certainly up for it!
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:24 AM »
 8)  Ronald, i assume you'd stay away from Whirlpool for fear of being flushed away into the lake??

anything west of Hamilton is certainly midwestern..

I'd be inclined
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
Thank God for another get together thread. Isn't it about time to bump your Southeastern trip?

I will never understand why, given the ties that Cabot has to this board, there is such a reluctance to hold outings there. Canada vs USA or not.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »
Thank God for another get together thread. Isn't it about time to bump your Southeastern trip?

I will never understand why, given the ties that Cabot has to this board, there is such a reluctance to hold outings there. Canada vs USA or not.

Have you been to Cabot Links?   It's quite a hike.  We had five in 2013, tried fruitlessly to get three more to join us. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »

Have you been to Cabot Links?   It's quite a hike.  We had five in 2013, tried fruitlessly to get three more to join us.

Not yet, and I feel horrible about it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 11:10:41 PM »

Not yet, and I feel horrible about it.

The trip we made was quite worthwhile with several rounds at Cabot Links and one at the amazing Highland Links, but now Cabot Cliffs has been added.  You really need to get there.  From the Midwest it's got to be similar to the trip to Bandon.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 12:22:03 AM »
Ron's right. We beat you Americans pretty bad.  I'm in unless Becker is in.

Jason Lietaer

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 10:39:58 PM »
I'm obviously in.  If there's no Maple Mashie, let's talk about doing something in the summer.  Ron -- sounds like team USA might need to recruit some ringers!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »
Ron's right. We beat you Americans pretty bad.  I'm in unless Becker is in.

I'm obviously in.  If there's no Maple Mashie, let's talk about doing something in the summer.  Ron -- sounds like team USA might need to recruit some ringers!

Well, full disclosure, I failed to do two things to help our cause: get some booze in the Irishman before the match and snap his hickory shafts into kindling, forcing him to use modern equipment.

I would be up for a one-day event somewhere in 2016. I do hope the Midwest Maple Mashie takes off, but I suspect that heartlanders fear border crossings (I won't go into the "why" of it all #SeanPenn #ElChapo)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:41:42 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
Ron,

I'd like to do a Walking Gathering in Windsor, Ontario down the line.  Maybe 17' or 18'.  Would love for it to be a US vs Canada comp.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 10:47:22 AM »
I'd be interested.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
The Canadian side now has my favorite snooker opponent, Will McEwen, relocated to Ontario.  The game is on!

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »
 8)  The CANAM CUP or THE AMCAN CUP, naw how about the Double-double Cup, Eh?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matthew Essig

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 06:06:37 AM »
The 1812 Cup?
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 08:16:19 AM »
The 1812 Cup?

Ouch...we burned, last time I checked.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:22 AM »
I think this is a terrific idea. I'd only play, however, if I was on the same team as my Blackberry brother in arms, Jason. :)
H.P.S.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
I say Toronto.  It's easily accessible, a world-class city and I think Saltzman has some influence...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 11:17:39 AM »
I'd be very interested. I've been trying to work out a Nova Scotia trip of my own for a few months, and a detour through Toronto or London would be just fine by me...
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Lietaer

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:30 PM »
Pat -- If you're still carrying a blackberry, you can be on my team for sure!  I'd be happy to do this in London or Toronto.  Both are easy for me.

What time of year are we thinking?  summer?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
Clamato Cup?

The Kings Putter has been held in Canada, using Sagebrush and Marine Drive.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 02:48:21 PM »
The 1812 Cup?

This is perfect. Plus it comes with excellent built-in theme music.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 03:19:04 PM »
The 1812 Cup?

This is perfect. Plus it comes with excellent built-in theme music.

Bushwood would have to be the host club then.

We even have a muni by that name in Toronto.  Course record of 61 held by: Bubba Watson, Bagdad, Fla.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:55:10 AM by Paul Stephenson »

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
Pat -- If you're still carrying a blackberry, you can be on my team for sure!

Still got it...  ;D
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back