News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

I'm not familiar with the McConnell way. Thoughts on how this might impact the course?

http://www.thegolfwire.com/story/323616

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Young

Re: Holston Hills Acquired By McConnell~Does It Mean Deleterious Change?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
They been working on this for a while.  I think it will be good.  It's my favorite Ross in the south.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:42:41 AM »
Looks like a great collection of 10 regional courses. What a win for the membership. I hope Holston remains a part of the Executive Golfer Collection, a partnership between NETJETS and the finest private golf clubs in the United States, as it is clearly one of the jewels in the crown.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »
Ronald,
I've been wrong before on acquisitions like this, but I think it is likely that the Holston membership will ultimately be happy with being part of the McConnell group of courses.  I have several friends who are members at McConnell clubs, and all of them are happy with both the course conditions and the access to other McConnell properties.

I think the one exception might be some of the members at Sedgefield in Greensboro, which was combined with The Cardinal into one club with two courses; The Cardinal has now been renamed "Sedgefield Dye Course", as contrasted with "Sedgefield Ross Course".  I think that many more members of The Cardinal play at Sedgefield than the other way around; the Dye course is too tough for some of the older members at Sedgefield.

That said, the conditions at McConnell courses are immaculate, and I don't think the price structures change dramatically.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:13:56 PM »
I spoke with Mr. McConnell late last year.  He was looking for someone to do work at a couple of his other courses, and was an admirer of what we'd done at Holston Hills.  I recommended a couple of people to him, and hope it works out for them.  But from the way he talked about Holston, I doubt he has plans to do much at all to the golf course, and if he does, I'm pretty sure I will be consulted on it.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
HH was the star of last years Dixie Cup ... wonder if it possible to play there again?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Philip Hensley

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:19:22 PM »
They did a great job at Raleigh Country Club, completely revitalized not just the course but the club/membership as well.

I have heard from numerous MacGregor Downs members that they wished McConnell had been successful in his attempt to buy their club. Part of which was their desire to have access to the other great McConnell golf properties.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:40:47 PM »
HH was the star of last years Dixie Cup ... wonder if it possible to play there again?

Played there during TWGS trip in May, thought it was the best course we played.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
I am a national member at Holston. I wasn't permitted to vote on the sale of the club, but did receive some information about McConnell golf.  From what I understand, they have used Richard Mandell to do work at other courses that they own.  I would be surprised if they make any major changes to the course, but I expect the tree on 2 to be removed (just a guess - nothing anyone has said).

Expect significant upgrades to the clubhouse.

Their national membership program is not nearly as appealing (to me) as the one Holston had when I joined.  Annual fees are quite a bit higher and you don't get to designate a "home" club.  So a McConnell national member would have to pay cart fees no matter which property they were visiting and face restrictions on tee times (so not really a member IMO).  This might work fine for someone that lives in central NC or SC, but Holston is on the far west of the other clubs they own and I'm another 3.5 hours northwest from there.  Access to all of the other clubs hold much less value for someone like me.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
I've been a member at Raleigh CC for the last 5 years and it has been an incredibly positive experience.

In my opinion, at least a portion of Mr. McConnell's target market is the kind of person that lurks on this board, so nothing to fear on that front. Most of the membership at RCC and those I've met at the other clubs are single digit handicappers with a passion for the game and its traditions, and are prone to vacation in places like Bandon, Scotland, Ireland, etc.

It doesn't surprise me at all to hear he's already reached out to Mr. Doak.

HH is a great fit for the portfolio and I think it will be mutually beneficial.  Based on prior acquisitions, I would anticipate some polish on the clubhouse, driving range, and course conditioning, but the fundamental character of the course to remain the same.  They don't make any more Donald Ross designs and Mr. McConnell gets that.

Also being from TN and having spent my college years in Knoxville I selfishly can't wait to get up there and see the place...

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 11:33:19 PM »
I am a national member at Holston. I wasn't permitted to vote on the sale of the club, but did receive some information about McConnell golf.  From what I understand, they have used Richard Mandell to do work at other courses that they own.  I would be surprised if they make any major changes to the course, but I expect the tree on 2 to be removed (just a guess - nothing anyone has said).

Expect significant upgrades to the clubhouse.

Their national membership program is not nearly as appealing (to me) as the one Holston had when I joined.  Annual fees are quite a bit higher and you don't get to designate a "home" club.  So a McConnell national member would have to pay cart fees no matter which property they were visiting and face restrictions on tee times (so not really a member IMO).  This might work fine for someone that lives in central NC or SC, but Holston is on the far west of the other clubs they own and I'm another 3.5 hours northwest from there.  Access to all of the other clubs hold much less value for someone like me.

Sounds like it's time to join Deal, then.

David Kelly

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 12:13:01 AM »

Sounds like it's time to join Deal, then.
I think more along the lines of Golf de Morfontaine for him (and us).
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back