News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Emerson

Started the New Year off right. Just posted up my reviews of the Nicklaus Mountain Course
http://playinggolfinchina.blogspot.com/2016/01/mountain-course-spring-city-golf-and.html

and RTJII Lake Course
http://playinggolfinchina.blogspot.com/2016/01/lake-course-spring-city-golf-and-lake.html

On my Blog.
I'd love to hear your opinions, comments and constructive criticism so that I can make both my architectural analysis, reviews, and writing sharper.

Michael Goldstein

Rick, what do you think of the routing of the Lake course?
@Pure_Golf

Rick Emerson

Rick, what do you think of the routing of the Lake course?

I think the site is a really difficult one. The entire course had to be built on the side of a steep hill. My two favorite par 3's the 8th and 10th do a great job of tackling the steep hill in interesting ways and provide a few reprieves from most of the holes that have to run parallel to the lake shore and other holes. This means that most of the longer holes play in two directions and with the prevailing wind off the lake being a crosswind. This is definately a flaw in the routing. There are also long tee to green walks and forced carries over unwalkable terrain making for more roundabout walks from tee to fairway or green. The course would be a very difficult walk. This seems to make the routing mediocre at best. However, it may have been all that could be done considering the severity of the site. Hope this is an ok response considering the bulk of my architectural training comes from this site and reading books.

David Davis

Rick,

Thanks for the post. I'm going to be there in the beginning of April and look forward to the trip. Did you manage to visit Stone Forest as well since you were basically right there?

I seem to be hearing a wide range of mixed reviews from friends and colleagues that have been. Everything from great to average.

That usually means I just need to see it for myself.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Michael Goldstein

Hi Rick,
I agree it is certainly a difficult site! For those who haven't been, it's nine holes severely down to the lakefront... which means the next nine is a constant hike back to the clubhouse. 
@Pure_Golf

Rick Emerson

Rick,

Thanks for the post. I'm going to be there in the beginning of April and look forward to the trip. Did you manage to visit Stone Forest as well since you were basically right there?

Yes, I have now been to Stone Forest twice and have played all three courses. Leaders Peak is the really crazy one. I thought it would be crazy stones start to finish but it actually has 3 sections. Some holes feel like you are playing in a secluded forest, some around the irrigation pond and some around the amazing stones. It is a wild ride and I would definitely agree that it is polarizing. I thought it was a lot of fun but it was also extremely difficult. If I were a member I'd be glad that there were the easier courses there to play too. That is my first review on the blog.

Ryan Farrow

Rick, you say the Lake course is currently your favorite course in China, I am curious to know the other courses you have played.

Aside from my inability to hold a high, mid-long iron shot over a bunker to rock hard elevated greens on the Nicklaus course, I find the Lake course far inferior to the Nicklaus. I will chalk up the Lake course hype to the views (when a haze of pollution is not obscuring your views) & super fast greens overwhelming peoples better judgment.

I just deleted a few paragraphs of negatives and will just leave it at that.

Rick Emerson

Rick, you say the Lake course is currently your favorite course in China, I am curious to know the other courses you have played.

Currently I have played.
All  courses at Stone Forest
All the courses in Mission Hills Haikou
Dunes at Shenzhou Peninsula East and West
Yaolong Bay
6 Courses in Tianjin including both Smidt Curley offerings but not yet the new 27 club.
Lake and Mountain at Spring City.
I have yet to play any Beijing or Shanghai offerings.
I also want to play Shanquin and Tiger Beach.

I personally like the Lake better than the Mountain because of a few different reasons.
1. I think there are more options and possibilities on many holes.
2. I have a low handicap and I like some of the extreme difficulty of the deep bunkers, some of the forced carries, and finding the fairways in the strong winds that blow in the afternoon.
3. I just really love the stretch from 4-10. It is just really fun golf hole after really fun golf hole.
4. The Mountain Course feels like lots of other parkland courses to me whereas the Lake course feels like a special place.

I do think that other golfers may find the Mountain Course more appealing. It is much easier Tee to green for the average player making it more lovable for a wider range. I also just had a great second trip to Spring City with a good friend and I played quite well there both times I played. Maybe that explains my bias. You are certainly welcome to your opinion. Feel free to tell me what you do not like. I'm on here to learn from other people and maybe I will get a better understanding for a differing opinion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back