News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: HOLIDAYS @ HUNTERCOMBE...31 December...All Welcome
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
Richard

It was good to meet you as well. 

Its a shame the club isn't considering reinstating some bunkers which are now long gone. 

http://golfcoursehistories.com/HC.html

There are some cool bunkers such as on 6 & 8.  The hollow between 11 & 12 was sand.  The bunker on the left for 18 makes more sense than today's right side bunker. 

Also, look at the 8th green....it would seem to be one of the wilder shapes I have ever seen!  There is definitely also something radical about the tiering.

Its also important to note there were far fewer trees between 6 & 18.  With the effort to keep the road to the right safe the club should look at this map for ideas  ;D

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:58:44 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Richard Fisher

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »
Dear Sean

Many thanks and I don't disagree (at all) - plenty there to think about, at the very least. I do know that in the Bad Old Days one problem was (seriously) theft of sand from what is, as you know, an almost completely unprotected space. At the same time I was personally very pleased to see how much more bush and indeed tree clearance is going on, notably behind the 18th tee.
best Richard

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 08:33:40 PM »
Richard

Do you know why the club chose to use only a section of the pits on 5 & 14 for sand? 

Looking at the map again, the old #9 looks a much better hole.  The clearance behind the 4th green looks incredible. The 16th green too looks like it was closer to the forward pit. 

The club could learn a lot from this aerial comparison.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Richard Fisher

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 05:46:37 AM »
Sean
Sorry - no thoughts at all. Alan Henderson (the current Captain of the British Golf Collectors Society) is the man who probably knows more about all of this than anybody else. My uncle Neill was Secretary at Huntercombe during the 1970s, and was responsible for installing the back tee at the 18th, but as a Cambridge-based occasional attendee, I am very much on the fringes. Although I do love the place as much as Henry Longhurst ('my second favourite inland course in the United Kingdom').

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back