News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Kris Spence now posted New
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »

The eyes of the golf world are focused on North Carolina this week so it's fitting that we post a Feature Interview with one of the Tar Heel state's favorite sons, Kris Spence. A former Greens Keeper, this Greensboro based architect has the refreshing ability to speak directly and knowledgeably. Note how he phrases this sentence regarding the 18th hole at CCNC: 'My thought process and strategic thinking on the hole:...' and then he launches into great detail from there. How nice is that?! Understanding what is inside an architect's mind is surely the best way to quickly suss-out  whether you are going to enjoy the challenges he offers up. Kris talks a lot about mowing lines (my personal pet topic in 2017), hazards that need to 'bite' into the fairways at CCNC, playing angles at Carolina GC and about discovering template holes at Raynor's (not Ross's) Blowing Rock. From the mountains to the shore line, the Tar Heel state is better off from his having gone out on his own in 2000.

Kris's name is perhaps most recognized on this site for his stellar restoration at Roaring Gap with his friend, Dunlop White.  His work at Mimosa Hills, Billy Joe Patton's old haunt, has been praised in periodic threads and I can attest to three other dramatically improved Ross courses, namely Cape Fear, Sedgefield (where I share Kris's horror at the one dimensional course set up for the Greater Greensboro Open), and especially, Carolina Golf Club, which is enjoying a remarkable renaissance of young, talented golfers who relish the challenge that Kris uncovered.

The elegant 1st green at Roaring Gap

A tip of the cap to Hart Huffines, a long-time member of CCNC, who reminded me in the spring to do this Feature Interview. Kris and I spoke so much during the Roaring Gap profile that I really thought we had done an interview in 2015 - my error, now rectified! Highlights of my round with Hart at CCNC were the fast running new Zeon Zoysia fairways (they make golf in late June in the Sand Hills an actual treat),  the much improved green tie-ins to the fairways and Kris's original green contours on the 4th and 10th.  Also, kudos for preserving the back bowl in the 12th green - some folks would have preferred to see it go but I am delighted it is still there - it is one of the most interesting greens not on Pinehurst No. 2 in the area. I first played CCNC in 1985 and today it is by far the best it has ever been. I knew its founder Dick Urquhart and he would be very proud that many more skill levels can enjoy the course today.

This is a lengthy interview with lots of juicy detail, like drilling down on the Roaring Gap green restoration process. More clubs should emulate what Kris achieved there, as who wants a classic course at the end of a restoration to look like a sterile new one?! Have a read and see if you don't agree. Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview-with-kris-w-spence/

Best,
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:08:22 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Jeff Loh

Re: Feature Interview with Kris Spence now posted
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »
Blown away by Roaring Gap (expected) and Mimosa (not expected). In fact some of the bunker work at Mimosa was unique to any Ross course I've seen. Encourage anyone in the 'hood to go see it. They love outside play from people who get it.
Kris is a very talented individual. Thanks for the interview.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:20:43 AM »
Kris' work at Mooresville Golf Club is a significant accomplishment.  This is a municipal golf course that the town was convinced to shut down for nearly two years and spend a very large amount of money.  They now have a very good golf course where green fees are as low as $17 for 18 holes and memberships start at around $1,000 per year.  This is how we grow the game. 

Matt Wharton

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
I was blessed to land the position of golf course superintendent at Carolina Golf Club in 2005.  The club had already established their relationship with Kris a couple years prior, and it was my good fortune to work closely alongside Kris on the four-phase master plan renovation/restoration.  Since that time we have continued to work together tweaking and refining the golf course.  Through the years we've added a few new tees and last year two new fairway bunkers were added to strengthen the inside of the dogleg on the Par 4 7th hole. 

Over that same time I've traveled around North and South Carolina playing many courses renovated and restored by Kris (Camden, CC of Spartanburg, Rock Hill, Grove Park, Mimosa Hills, Gaston, Myers Park, Forsyth, and Sedgefield to name a few).  I've also played many other courses renovated/restored by other architects.  In my opinion Kris is by far the most artistically talented and I can no longer play a course needing renovation without imaging what Kris would do if provided the opportunity (i.e., Southern Pines).

The total transformation of Carolina Golf Club has been amazing to witness, but I believe there may be even better yet to come.  If so I hope and pray I am still here to care for her in the process.  Thank you Kris for uncovering a true gem and for all your assistance and guidance in helping me continue to bring out the best of Carolina Golf Club.

All the best,
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Dunlop_White

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »

In 2001, Roaring Gap's golf course needed some professional attention and care. Brad Klein and Michael Fay, long-time Executive Director of the Ross Society, provided a list of architects to help us recapture our Ross traditions. One of those architects was Kris Spence from nearby Greensboro. At the time, Kris was an upstart restoration enthusiast, who was eager to do a good job and theoretically could spend more time and pay more attention to the golf course being located only 65-miles from his home. Roaring Gap became the beneficiary of that hands-on approach, and a lot more. Kris is one of Donald Ross's great ambassadors, and he truly cares how Roaring Gap has looked and played long after he completed the spadework in May of 2014.

As a result, Roaring Gap just debuted in Golfweek Magazine's Top 100 "Classic" designs (No. 82) in America. Roaring Gap was also featured as one of architect Tom Doak's "Gourmets Choice" selections in the renewal of his classic book entitled "The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses." A "Gourmet's Choice" is given to those select golf courses that tend to present something out of the ordinary, "stir the soul" and one where you would most like "to take a good friend to play." Roaring Gap was chosen to represent all summer destination Ross courses in North America, which must be a big feather in Spence's cap and something he is proud of.

Spence also has the distinction of restoring Sedgefield's Ross design in 2007, which once again hosts the Wyndham Championship, formerly the Greater Greensboro Open (GGO). Reclaiming Ross's distinctive architecture has many benefits, like improved course rankings and membership levels, but rarely does it unfold to help lure home an old-line PGA Tour event after a 31-year hiatus. (Sedgefield hosted the GGO periodically between 1938 - 1976). Hats off to Kris for playing a critical early role in rejuvenating an historic golf tournament as a renewed regional attraction.

It was certainly nice of Kris to single me out in his interview. I'm sure he has worked with a lot of valuable contributors. At Roaring Gap, it was a big team effort though. Everyone contributed….starting with Kris himself and shapers Nathan Cashwell and Jim Harbin, and superintendent Erik Guinther, who were on site daily. Barnes Hauptfuherer spearheaded it from the Board level. Green Committee members Walker Poole and D-Dog Edwards were also huge. Golf Pro Bill Glenn too. 

The most important thing to glean from Roaring Gap was our meticulous green restoration methodology, which produced putting surfaces far better than we ever imagined.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:27:21 PM by Dunlop_White »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »
I interviewed Kris last season on the Sedgefield restoration. He's one of the good guys out there and really cares about the true restoration of Ross courses.

He also did some great work here in Winston-Salem at Forsyth CC and of course Roaring Gap. Also, a free plug for my alma mater, Furman University GC.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
It was interesting for me to hear about the setup for the TOUR event at Sedgefield. I play there a few times every year and do not find the course as easy as TOUR scores would indicate. He mentioned that the TOUR takes Ross out of the course by the easy pin placements. After watching the pros roll in putt after putt it makes sense.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back