News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Peter Pallotta

Re: Top moments in architecture 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
Thanks, Brad - nicely and succinctly done.

I imagine I speak for many when I say I'd enjoy more of this from you.

It reminded me of my appreciation for Lorne Rubenstein. He writes well always, but I enjoy him most when he writes what no one else can, ie

not when he's covering a major (which any decent writer can do) but when he's sharing an experience that only a well respected veteran of 30+ years can have, eg a leisurely round at the Medalist with an unguarded Nick Price.

Peter

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:47:21 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
Ahead of my last trip to the Dominican Republic, I read a lot about the life (and death) of Playa Grande. I didn't realize at the time that it was being renovated. By the looks of the website, all 18 holes are now open. Is that true?

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »
I like this one:

7. Bellerive Country Club, St. Louis.[/color] So much better in person than on TV; and that rarity in golf, a championship club that is first and foremost maintained for everyday member play.
H.P.S.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
Nice to know I got to be there for one of them ....    :  )

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Tim Gallant

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 03:32:13 AM »
My list, and why, for Golfweek:

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/dec/17/golf-courses-top-10-moments-2015-tiger-woods-bluej/

Thanks Brad,

I have now officially put Dooks on my list for courses to see when I head to the West coast of Ireland this Summer. Any other gems you saw on the trip?

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »
Ballybunion-Old was very cool, warts and all - a 6,200-yard course that they've tried to stretch to 6,800 yards. Portmarnock was elegant but underwhelming. Tralee was promising on the front and a complete mess on the back. Waterville was so well done I thought it had been scrubbed, pressed and boxed. I wish I had gotten back to Lahinch.

Mark Pavy

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
Tralee was promising on the front and a complete mess on the back.

In conversations regarding Tralee, I find most golfers rave about the back nine at Tralee.

Why is it a mess?

William_G

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »
no one should have been shocked at the inability of people to properly spectate at Chambers Bay at the US Open 2015...it was a foregone conclusion for every local who'd been there...yet while St. Andrews built massive structures (2 story grandstands) for the Open in 2015....the USGA/US Open failed in the that regard

fun read, thanks Brad
It's all about the golf!

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
Tralee back nine - dramatic, yes, but too much parallel, back and forth, slow, dangerous, w/o bailouts, severe, unyielding to any wayward shots.

AS for Chambers Bay spectating, if not "shocking" then certainly disappointing. They had years to get that right.

William_G

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
Tralee back nine - dramatic, yes, but too much parallel, back and forth, slow, dangerous, w/o bailouts, severe, unyielding to any wayward shots.

AS for Chambers Bay spectating, if not "shocking" then certainly disappointing. They had years to get that right.

no doubt about CB...disappointing at best
It's all about the golf!

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »
An entertaining read.

A cart ride makes the list?  Sigh.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »
GCA hero Kevin Lynch and I walked 36 for 4 consecutive days at Bandon, developing grapefruit-sized calf puffs along the way. We walked 18 at Chambers and found it to be more demanding than 36 at Bandon. What a hike! Easily the most challenging walk I've had on a golf course. Totally understand how Jason Day wiped out on #9. I don't suffer from vertigo and I almost wiped out going down that incline.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »
For me it was hearing that Mike Keiser has plans to build a Coore/Crenshaw course in Dornoch.  400 years of golf at Dornoch with an undisputed global top 10 course and now one of the best architects of the last20 years teams yet again with the best destination-making builder to create a new links course on 400+ acres of linksland just 2miles north of Royal Dornoch.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Ahead of my last trip to the Dominican Republic, I read a lot about the life (and death) of Playa Grande. I didn't realize at the time that it was being renovated. By the looks of the website, all 18 holes are now open. Is that true?

Looks that way, as the renovation of the golf course is part of a hotel/real estate development in that area: http://www.playagrande.com/project/

Jim Franklin

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »
I like this one:

7. Bellerive Country Club, St. Louis.[/color] So much better in person than on TV; and that rarity in golf, a championship club that is first and foremost maintained for everyday member play.

Couldn't agree more. Bellerive is definitely maintained for everyday play. And a lot of fun.
Mr Hurricane

John_Conley

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »
We walked 18 at Chambers and found it to be more demanding than 36 at Bandon. What a hike! Easily the most challenging walk I've had on a golf course.

I'm glad to see this.  Living in flat Florida for so long and almost always riding due to the dearth of courses permitting walking, I played Chambers Bay very shortly after opening and said it was a difficult walk in a post on this board.  Someone said I was a wuss.  I remember the in-and-outs from the deep bunkers and unstable footing in many places, plus the overall elevation change.  Seemed like a lot of work just to get around.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 06:25:18 AM »
An enjoyable read Brad. Cabot Cliffs and Dooks are on my list but these days it gets longer rather than shorter.

"4. Augusta National 10th hole. Every Monday of Masters week, I get to take a group of Golfweek’s Best raters on a three-hour walking tour of the back nine. I never lose the thrill of walking down that 10th fairway and talking about that stunning, magisterial par 4. "

I bet this is an amazing experience. How do you your define best raters?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back