News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Junctions
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:02:03 PM »
For as long as I can remember, in my experiences in architecture, landscape architecture and golf course architecture, I have been utterly fascinated and beguiled by the way shapes and materials come together.
I can't help feeling that it's at the 'Edges' where the true talents of great designers become most apparent.
Take for example this masterpiece of controlled 'merging'.

Here we have ourselves a marvellous combination of a change in materials, a change in levels, a boundary which has to be managed and maintained, an element subject to wind and weather, an edge which defines the rules of golf, etc, etc... So many functions for a mere line!

And yet, look how artful and joyously free such a thing can be. These are the things that most delight me about design. Somebody, somewhere had appreciated that what they're trying to achieve might only be somewhere to play a game, but luckily they also had the gumption and creativity to make a small detail a thing of utter beauty.

One thing though - and here comes the egalitarian Scotsman I can't help being! We need to expose more golfers/people in general to this kind of wondrousness. It's a bit pointless keeping this stuff to only a lucky few.

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

Re: Junctions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »
Martin -

I can't recall if you have played Castle Stuart on your visits to the Highlands. I think the "merging of the edges" is pretty impressive there.

Gil Hanse talks about the bunkers they built there in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck8q8MsF1e8

DT

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 06:31:01 PM »
David,
Castle Stuart is still very much on the Bonnar 'must play' list, but the pictures I've seen are very tempting indeed. CS does seem to embody the values of which I speak!
Best,
F.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
Martin - lovely post and welll observed. You will know better than I, but it strikes me that this kind of artful blending relies as much on 'pre-planning' and vision as it does on 'finishing work' and detailing. What I mean: stone and concrete and steel and glass can be beautifully integrated in a building/home, but not if that home is (or is meant to look like) a 19th century Victorian.
Peter

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:35:12 PM »
Thanks PP,
About time I contributed some thoughtful stuff here. I've been very absent... Life and work so gets in the way.
Yes, as usual you cut to the essence so well.
For me, it's all about utilising palettes. There's always obvious elements suitable for a given locality and it's usually futile trying to impose things on a landscape which either don't fit or which will be ultimately unsustainable.
Great design, in its purest sense, is always about realising that and then exploiting those constraints as best you can.
Architects can choose between imposing their designs upon the site (say, like building the Parthenon on the Acropolis) OR allow the site to define what they design (look at Bruce Goff's houses for example where he plays with geometry in a very naturalistic way). Still imposition, but perhaps more acceptable?
Both very valid approaches, of course. Personal taste, intellectual persuasions and educational background will tend to push the participant in certain directions!
Witterings, but useful I hope!
Cheers,
F.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »
Martin - thanks. When you noted that architects can choose between imposing on the site or allowing it to self-define, it struck me that architects also make that choice when it comes to their colleagues/associates/assistants -- and that this latter choice has more to do with an architect's personality than it does with his craft/talent.  I've worked with and for others my whole working life: very few have been those willing and able to balance true "leadership" with true "mentorship", i.e. who genuinely have a strong and clear vision and ethos but who at the same time genuinely enable (and create an atmosphere that supports) staff in bringing their own full talents to the table.  No one gets better without making mistakes, and even more importantly no one can do his/her best work if they're afraid of making mistakes; a talent can shine through when given the room to shine through.  From the photo it looks like the course may be one of the Streamsongs, but I can't tell if it's Tom's or C&C's -- but either way it seems clear that the associates who are doing the finishing work there were allowed some freedom to shine.
Peter   

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 09:58:12 PM »
Those are great looking bunkers but please remember that so much "artful blending" of that style requires the proper site as much as anything.  I appreciate the talent and I understand your reasoning but not sure it applies all the way thru the craft.  Seth Raynor would not fit for sure.  I often wonder what would be the rage if sand were green.  If sand had not been there for contrast what would have? 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »
FBD

I swore off commenting on bunkering for the rest of the year after my thread on Paramount but I have to say the bunker in your photo is more in line with what I think "rugged" bunkering should look  like. I agree with Mike Y that it cpomes down to the site but I wonder on what kind of site couldn't you do something similar or a variation of the same ?

Niall

ps. where is that bunker ?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »
Don't bunkers of the style in the first photo (lovely photo) require a certain kind of turf, soil and sand (and budget!) to maintain that look?   Seems that requirement could account for so many grass-faced bunkers. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 12:54:53 PM »
Agreed with what everyone says. I think I was trying to emphasise the joy of a junction and used that bunker as a fine example, but it could just as easily have been a wee burn bank or the transition between rough and fairway or a treeline or cliff edge!
Niall, this one is Coore and Crenshaw at Streamsong.

Right, signing of now as I've been told it's time for the annual Strictly party. Yippee!

Cheers
F.

Michael Graham

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »
Agreed with what everyone says. I think I was trying to emphasise the joy of a junction and used that bunker as a fine example, but it could just as easily have been a wee burn bank or the transition between rough and fairway or a treeline or cliff edge!
Niall, this one is Coore and Crenshaw at Streamsong.

Right, signing of now as I've been told it's time for the annual Strictly party. Yippee!

Cheers
F.

My money's on Jay.  ;D

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 07:17:31 PM »
Great post and observations Martin.  Thanks!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
FBD

I swore off commenting on bunkering for the rest of the year after my thread on Paramount but I have to say the bunker in your photo is more in line with what I think "rugged" bunkering should look  like. I agree with Mike Y that it cpomes down to the site but I wonder on what kind of site couldn't you do something similar or a variation of the same ?

Niall

ps. where is that bunker ?

Can we agree that a natural bunker would only be located in sandy soils?  If you agree with that statement then on a claybased course the water will not soak into the surrounds nearly as quickly as on a sand site thus efforts have to be made to keep ground water from flowing into the bunker.  Plus the sand in the bunker has to be brought in and drained and somehow made to adhere to slopes etc.  And you end up hoping the only water to enter the is from rain...    And so..it's an expensive bunker if on other soils...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 10:41:10 PM »
Mike - of course I agree with you on your last post, because I'd be a fool (as a fan) to argue practical matters with a seasoned and successful professional. And the point you make is in fact aligned with the analogy I used earlier, i.e.  that the best associates and finishers/shapers/tradesmen in the world can't actualize an artful and multi-layered blending if their boss has had an ill-conceived 'vision' of integrating stone and concrete and steel and glass and brick into the façade of a 19th century Victorian.
Peter   

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 10:33:55 AM »
Peter,
I was actually speaking to Niall with tat question but I do agree with your post#5.  That post is why I think design/build or design/shaping is the coming thing.  Having the person controlling that shovel or dozer blade as an integral part of design instead of a general contractor sub make a difference. IMHO

Tom Kelly

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 04:26:30 AM »
Nice post Martin and I completely agree it's all about the edges. Unfortunately I've never seen a C&C course with my own eyes but from all the photos and articles about them I've seen they fascinate me and it appears they do 'the edges' as good if not better than anyone else. Their bunker work looks sublime. The sand they seem to exclusively work in must be a big helping hand.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »
How much maintenance is required to keep bunker edges and transitions looking like this? Is regular repair work after heavy rain required?
Atb

Bruce Katona

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
Martin:

Your post reminds me of the phrase we learned (as likely did Tom D and others) in LA School - hard edges v soft edges.  The bunker you pictured had a softer edge (some may say more natural or not as contrived) where materials, grades and vegetation all could mix together. A harder edge may likely have separated and compartmentalized each aspect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back