News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Hickory players listing
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
Thomas,

Put me on the list as well.  Two big bonuses- it fuels my penchant for collecting and forces me to get off my fat ass and carry.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
Thomas,
Put me on the list as well. Two big bonuses- it fuels my penchant for collecting and forces me to get off my fat ass and carry.

Jud,
I spotted the photo you posted on the best 2013 photo thread of your lad playing with hickories at Kingsley and thought you'd post here soon! I've had my lad play with hickories as well and he thoroughly enjoys it. Great seeing the next generation of golfers involved with hickory play.
ATB
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:07:28 PM by Thomas Dai »

David Davis

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
I'm not a hickory player, the game is just too damn hard for me as it is. HOWEVER....during the BUDA this crazy young hearted guy, Steve Wilson, let me take a swing, my first one ever. It was at Kennemer Golf Club on the 3rd hole a 135 meter uphill par 3 that plays into the wind from the left.

I wish I could of played that ball for the match as I nailed it to about 5 ft. Couldn't of hit it better but the darn thing still hurt my hands like hitting a Louisville Slugger off the handle on an inside pitch.

I won't be changing anytime soon but respect for you guys that find the game so boring and easy that you have to find ways to make it harder.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Steve Wilson

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
All of the clubs I've broken (four) were ones I had purchased from antique stores.  They were old, obviously, and showed signs of not having had any care or maintenance through the years since they had been abandoned.  When two broke at the hosel it didn't take close examination to see the evidence of dry rot.  One had a split shaft that had been repaired previously and I sent it away to have it reshafted.  One of my driving clubs suffered the socket breaking away and allowing the shaft to separate.  The shaft was undamaged and I sent it to Louisville Golf to see if it could be repaired.  They looked at it and told me they could make repairs that would last longer than I would.  So far, about a year, their word has been good.

I've used pro vs, Noodles, and other balls advertised as "soft".  Louisville Golf states that their replicas can be played with any modern ball, but I prefer to play with something that has a softer feel.  I've also sprung for a dozen of the balls sold through their website that are advertised as true to the hickory period.  I've played them enough to say that they fly as high and true as the other balls I'm using.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
I can attest to David's shot, but I wan't aware it stung his hands.  I don't experience that sensation from impact and it's not because I'm a better ball striker than David.  Perhaps I don't generate sufficient club head speed?  Interesting at any rate.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
I have been playing an unmatched set for the past 4 years as a member of the Carolina Hickory Golf Association. http://carolinahickory.com/
We have over 100 paid members and another couple of hundred that follow the web site. We have a hickory outing at least once a month in and around NC, usually on Donald Ross courses.
A great group of guys. No anger management issues (one smash of the club and that habit is quickly broken).
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
Paging Michael Cocking...

I found my first hickory club during this year, and have steadily built up three sets, so as to allow accompanying friends to play a match with the same equipment. My home courses are firm enough, and the weather conducive for hickory play most of the year.

I have found clubs on eBay, through a variety of contacts in the UK and USA, one or two auction sites, and sheer coincidence at some local places, as well as through fellow members at my Club. All Tom Stewart irons, most with inspection dots, some with smooth faces, and some with dot lined faced, I usually carry a cleek, mid iron, jigger, mashie, mashie niblick and niblick. I've recently sourced a great Dreadnought driver, and had an old Gibson Star A spoon refurbished too.

Currently alternating between a Calamity Jane 1930 replica, and a Schenectady putter, I also play the Victor (replica ball by McIntyre golf), or a ProV1 if playing with friends.

Hickory is how golf should be played, and it saddens me in some ways to see what the game has evolved into these days.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mike_Cocking

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
MM...I was a bit slow in seeing this.

I'm a hickory player also.  I bought original clubs about 6 years ago and made a few changes myself - lengthened, re-gripped etc.  Then I found the louisville golf website and fell in love!  I bought a set around a year ago (6 irons plus the driving iron I had in my original set, two woods including a replica of Jones' Jeanie Deans and a Brown Vardon putter).  I'm a member at Kingston Heath and recently played my three rounds to get a 'hickory' handicap to go with my normal one.  

I love the way great courses play with hickory.  Much more of a reward / penalty for being in or out of position because you can't hit the high lofted, high spinning recovery.  Kingston Heath plays especially firm and allows plenty of running shots.

I also bought a few sleeves of victor balls with my clubs which add another element of fun.

Not sure I'll ever match Jones' 'perfect' score at Sunningdale (66) but I desperately would like to shoot a par round somewhere one day.  The closest I've come so far is 76 at Victoria - 1 under through 8 had the juices going, two doubles later though.....

Mike.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
I am a member of the Society of Hickory Golfers living in Germany and since 2007 I play all my golf with pre-1935 hickory shafted golf clubs.

Also I am the organiser of the German Hickory Championship which will be played on August 9./10., 2014 at Kiel's Kitzeberg GC, founded 1902.
Would be glad to see any of you GCA.com hickory golfers participate!

Hickory Ho!

Christoph
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:46:32 PM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Mike Policano

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
Apparently I am an enabler. I did get the good Santa Barbara guy interested in hickories.

Co-founded The Metropolitan Hickory Society. Check out our first tournament two years ago on YouTube. It aired on ATT UVerse for the month of August 2012.

We hold monthly hickory tournaments from May through October. The past two years our venues have included Tillinghast courses Paramount, Ridgewood, Somerset Hills and Shackamaxon, Charles Banks's Hackensack, MacRaynor's Yale and the hickory course at Hamilton Farms.

Our tournaments are open to all but we have limited fields due to the venues.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
I started playing hickories this year due to an event we held at Flossmoor CC. At a WGA event, I met two fellow board members from the Detroit area who are avid hickory players. With them, we held an Evans Scholarship fundraiser at Flossmoor this summer. All of the participants played hickories.

I set up Flossmoor to play like it did back in the hickory days at about  6,100 yards. We played as close as we could to where the holes were at that time. I became hooked and have since bought a set of mismatched clubs and have played our "hickory" layout at FCC a number of times this fall.

We hope to host this event again this summer.

Greg

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
From 'The Tunnel Nine' at Banff.

[img[http://imageshack.us/a/img51/5238/qsd7.jpg[/img]

RSantangelo

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
I just got a hickory set and am just learning the game from a new perspective

Jay Mickle

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 09:06:08 AM »
About half my rounds with hickory. Played only hickory on 281 hole tour of Ireland this past spring. Favorite club 24 degree muscle back approach cleek.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

David_Madison

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
About 75% of my rounds are with hickories. I try to match which set I play (hickory or modern) with the course and conditions. Play Wilson Duo balls - - they feel great, get up in the air and go, and are spinnier than most. I play reproductions now, but hope over time to introduce actual old stuff into my bag. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back