News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JJShanley

Developments at Strandhill G.C., Co. Sligo
« on: December 05, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »
http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Five-year-redevelopment-aims-to-transform-Strandhill-links/3513/Default.aspx#.VmNWKbiDGko

Chanced upon this article, which announces that our very own Ally McIntosh will undertake work at Strandhill.  This was one of the first few courses my father took on as a kid, on a family visit to the west of Ireland.  I've always enjoyed my time there, but am excited to see what it will look like in the coming years.  I hope my dear father will have a chance to play the finished article.  Does the club have permission to use the dunes behind the fourth green?

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Developments at Strandhill G.C., Co. Sligo
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:06:19 AM »
Hi JJ,

I don't think it will look significantly different in years to come. At least, that's not the intention.

The club have 70 acres of untouched dune land out back but almost all of that land is in the SAC and my proposal does not involve using the majority of it. What it does include is using the dune plateau behind the current 4th green, an area of about 175 yards long by 150 yards wide. The land falls off the back of that plateau in to a huge dune slack called Shelley Valley and I believe if golf is to head down in to that valley, it needs to stay down there for at least 4 holes to provide a cohesive routing. Planning Permission for that is not going to be achieved and I'm not sure the club really needs it, certainly in the short to medium term.

The main concerns were the par-three ninth hole which has been compromised by housing and a car park, resulting in a shortened hole with netting... and also the extremely unsafe tight routing of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th holes... The plans on the table will rectify those situations and improve the holes by getting rid of the 9th and redesigning the area around 2,3 and 4 by using that plateau behind the 4th green.... To answer your question, the permit has not yet been granted for this work but initial meetings with the council and NP&W have been positive. They can see that we need the land, that it will improve the course and most importantly that we are committed to working with the lightest of touches.

In the meantime, the focus is on a new bunker scheme for the entire course. There are 63 bunkers at present and they've been thrown down haphazardly (and not in a varied or good way) at different points in the clubs history. We'll put in a new scheme that should add some life - and strategic choices - in to some of the holes. I expect there to be some interesting positions. We start that by tackling the first three or four holes in February. By the time we've finished that work in a year or two, there will be a few less bunkers in total but hopefully they will provide a lot more thoughtful choices for golfers.

Aside from that, I've suggested other little tweaks that the green staff will carry out themselves.

Strandhill is a cracking course. I really think that it's just a nudge away from being recognised as such by the wider international community.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:10:25 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:19:31 AM »
Ally,

well done on getting the gig. It will be fun to see how it progresses.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:38:05 AM »
Well done Ally. Somewhere I've long wanted to visit and now more reasons to go.
atb

JJShanley

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
Thanks for those details, Ally.  As I say, I've always enjoyed my father and I have always enjoyed playing there. 

I wondered about 2-3-4.  I do like 2, but wondered during a post-round rumination whether 3 and 4 should be combined into a longer par-4. 

I don't recall a net on 9 when I last played SH in June 2012, but I wondered whether it would work as a combined hole with 8. 

The club doesn't need to go down the "championship course" route unless Rosses Point falls into the sea, but what you've suggested will better establish it and that part of the west in general as a destination for golf tourism.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back