News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Treadwell

Lorne Rubenstein article on Tiger Woods
« on: December 03, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »
Never seen Tiger be so open and honest.  Refreshing.  Great job by Lorne. 

http://time.com/tiger/?xid=tcoshare

John Kavanaugh

Re: Lorne Rubenstein article on Tiger Woods
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
He only mentioned his kids 26 times and I only threw up in my mouth 4. I think I believe him.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »
Thanks for posting the link, it's an interesting read.

Comments about the kids aside, I thought his comments on the game had an almost JK-esque flavor to them.

But what do I know? Not much, I guess.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
No mention of BlueJack National.

WW

Gary Sato

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
Blah blah.  Anything Tiger says makes news.

Didn't Ran ban Tiger gossip on GCA? 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:12:34 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:47:18 PM »
As long as this thread is going into the dumper.

Tigers' career was over after this happened.  He just didn't know it yet....

Never. Recovered.

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
For those that are interested, and as a warning to anyone contemplating back surgery, let me tell you what happened me.

I had a major herniated disc while on a golf trip in New Zealand. When I returned to the US, nothing could stop the pain. 3 cortizone shots, ice, therapy. Before my surgery, and I researched the heck out of surgeons,  I selected Patrick O'Reilly in NY at the Hospital for Special Surgery. He was world renown.

My pain management doctor gave me this warning "Not all back surgeries are successful and even those that are successful does not mean you will be able to return to golf." I silently laughed that warning off.

That's because the surgery doesn't address the reason someone has disc pathology in the first place. People can have disc pathology and have no pain and normal function, or they can have a protrusion/prolapse/extrusion/sequestration and the slightest movement is agonising, or they can still have nothing structurally wrong with their back and have pain.

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 09:22:34 PM »
Missed the memo re Tiger threads....delete away if you wish Ran.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:30:26 AM »
As long as this thread is going into the dumper.

Tigers' career was over after this happened.  He just didn't know it yet....

Never. Recovered.

It was over before then.  But only myself and a select few others could see it.  His short game started tanking in the late summer of the year before.

That would have been an early call Dave and requires extra evidence on your part.

As you will recall just before this broke out, he was on quite the tear that year with several nice wins!!

In 2009 he had 6 wins and 14 top 10s, and was still blowing everyone out.  And he finished in the top 10 in 3 of 4 majors that year.  Then the Elin/Window thing happened late in the year after the FedEx...

Josh Tarble

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
People seem to forget he won 3 times in 2012 and 5 times (a stat only duplicated by Speith, Day, Vijay Singh and Nick Price since 1980) in 2013.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
People seem to forget he won 3 times in 2012 and 5 times (a stat only duplicated by Speith, Day, Vijay Singh and Nick Price since 1980) in 2013.

True,

But by measuring to his own past success those were mostly "lesser" PGA event wins and no Major wins.   In fact he only had 3 Major top 10s combined in those two years.  He was clearly already a different Tiger by then, and certainly not back to his former self.

Remember,  his first full year on tour in 97, he had four wins with a major.  And before 2012, he had already had 9 other years with 5 or more wins in each of them, including a major win in all but two of them.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »

Kalen,

beat me to it. Tiger is judged on Majors. The rest is window dressing. To me it started going sour after his father died.

Jon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
I think its interesting to once again, bring up the once oft-asked question....

Is Tiger the GOAT?  Or not because its clear he won't reach jacks 18?

While Jack was certainly a tremendous great player with more durability over a longer period, couldn't an argument be made that Tigers star shined brighter in his prime?

Imagine a hypothetical match with both of them in their prime, playing a 36 hole Match Play at Pine Valley....no way I'm betting against Tiger.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
K - in stroke play, using the equipment from the sixties, my guess is that Jack shoots 69 and 71 to win by two.

Very nice to see Lorne R's name again. I think his understated approach and the respect he's earned in the golfing world had a lot to do with how the interview turned out.

P

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »

While Jack was certainly a tremendous great player with more durability over a longer period, couldn't an argument be made that Tigers star shined brighter in his prime?

Imagine a hypothetical match with both of them in their prime, playing a 36 hole Match Play at Pine Valley....no way I'm betting against Tiger.

Thats because you see Tiger in the time of his prime with all the advantages of newer equipment and coaching.  No doubt in my mind that Jack too would have benefited from the same advancements and taken full advantage of his competition...just like he did in his own time.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:39:53 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »

Thats because you see Tiger in the time of his prime with all the advantages of newer equipment and coaching.  No doubt in my mind that Jack too would have benefited from the same advancements and taken full advantage of his competition...just liek he did on his own time.

Ciao

Sean,

Like I mentioned in the other thread.  IIRC, jack wasnt a big range rat.  I recall him talking about always wanting to achieve a balance with his golf and home life.  I really do wonder how much different Jack would be if he were around in the modern era where a strict home schedule and team otherwise is assembled  to "make the man".

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »

Thats because you see Tiger in the time of his prime with all the advantages of newer equipment and coaching.  No doubt in my mind that Jack too would have benefited from the same advancements and taken full advantage of his competition...just liek he did on his own time.

Ciao

Sean,

Like I mentioned in the other thread.  IIRC, jack wasnt a big range rat.  I recall him talking about always wanting to achieve a balance with his golf and home life.  I really do wonder how much different Jack would be if he were around in the modern era where a strict home schedule and team otherwise is assembled  to "make the man".

Great Champions are great Champions...and Jack is the greatest of them all. No amount of second guessing by future generations can change that. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Chris Mavros

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
Jaime Diaz said that while Tiger played the greatest golf the world has ever seen, Jack was able to maintain a longer level of high performance than Tiger and with the 18 majors, Jack gets the nod as the best ever.  I tend to agree if Tiger's career is calling it a day at this point. 

I enjoyed the article a lot.  It's a poignant look at one of the greats accepting his mortality and slowly realizing there's much more to the world than reaching 19 major victories. 

Frank M

Re: Lorne Rubenstein article on Tiger Woods New
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
Tiger is tiger.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:26:13 PM by Frank M »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
Frank,

Chicks also dig the divorcee whose ex is his best friend while he lives for his kids. I thought the article was a hound dog play.

BCowan

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »
I'm no back surgeon but I don't think anyone with common sense would recommend this course management after back surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-mMurHna68

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 01:27:50 AM »
Frank,

Chicks also dig the divorcee whose ex is his best friend while he lives for his kids. I thought the article was a hound dog play.

You really think Tiger needs help in that department? 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
Frank,

You really think Tiger needs help in that department?

Clooney changed the game. Money don't buy that kind of quality.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »
I'm no back surgeon but I don't think anyone with common sense would recommend this course management after back surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-mMurHna68

Or swinging like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQzyoif0ndw
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back