News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steven Blake

I have had some interesting dialogue with members in the past concerning tree removals. Some so funny its hard not to laugh when questioned.

I had a member say this once, "So let me get this straight ... we cut down 1,500 trees and now you want to put bunkers in the middle of some fairways? Are you nuts?"

My reply was yes on both accounts. So I had to spend and hour explaining myself. I am pretty sure he still doesn't get it.

Blake

Thomas Dai

Stage 1 - join the committee
Stage 2 - remove brain
Stage 3 - leave committee
Stage 4 - re-insert brain
Stage 5 - disillusionment

:)
Atb

Duncan Cheslett

What's this talk of Green Committees?

At Reddish Vale we have a Greens Chairman, but no committee. He and the Head Greenkeeper take all the decisions.

It seems to work rather well.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:25:07 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

Duncan,

That's an interesting approach.

Tell us a bit more if you will. For example,

Is the person elected as GC directly by the members (with say a few other candidates standing for the role) or is he elected to the main committee and the main committee then decide amongst themselves who will do the Greens (or House or whatever) role?

Does the GC have a fixed term in office (if so how long) and must he either stand aside entirely after his term is completed or can he continue if re-elected?

Atb
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:07:06 PM by Thomas Dai »

Duncan Cheslett

Duncan,

That's an interesting approach.

Tell us a bit more if you will. For example,

Is the person elected as GC directly by the members (with say a few other candidates standing for the role) or is he elected to the main committee and the main committee then decide amongst themselves who will do the Greens (or House or whatever) role?

Does the GC have a fixed term in office (if so how long) and must he either stand aside entirely after his term is completed or can he continue if re-elected?

Atb

Committee (or Council) members are elected at the club's AGM.

Specific roles such as Greens, House, Handicaps, etc. are agreed by Council. Each incumbent generally holds the post for a couple of years or as long as he wants to do the job.  There is seldom a long queue of people wanting to take his place.

If there was "unhappiness" with the way a Greens Chairman was fulfilling his duties I am sure he would be asked
 by Council to step down.

John Connolly

1) Has it become easier to sell a tree removal program because some high profile clubs have undergone the change and have happy members as a result?

2) I've been told the root system of a tree is as big as the part you see.  How deep do golf courses go for stump grinding and root removal?  I'm wondering if cutting off the tree above ground will kill it.  If roots somehow stayed alive thestill steal the water.

1 - I don't think members at Club A care much about how Club B handled their trees - "they're not us".

2 - Roots don't live after a tree is cut down as the nutrient supply via leaves and photosynthesis ceases. Only when little sucker sprouts grow from the trunk can nutrients be sent to the roots - but stumps are ground down so this is prevented.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Thomas Dai

Duncan,
Thanks for this explanation.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back