News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Todd Rohrer is posted New
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:39:41 PM »
Hard as it is to believe, the single most divisive subject on this Discussion Broad is likely the game's most straightforward component ... walking! Opinions range from if you aren't walking, it's not golf to if I can't drive my cart in the fairways, I am not playing.

Alister MacKenzie's opinions on the health benefits of walking are legendary but he is dead, so we can't interview him. Next best is Todd Rohrer, President of MacKenzie Golf Bag Company. He is as devoted a walker as anyone I know but not of the fire and brimstone, preachy type that alienates rather than persuades. Here he speaks of golf as a sensory experience that must be kept simple, without clutter in your bag or in your head – so as best to enjoy the outdoors. His is a timely, compelling message - and one that you won't get from industry who wants to sell you something. You MUST carry all 14 clubs. The BIGGER the bag, the BETTER as it holds more STUFF. Really?!

We all commit errors of judgment that inertia turns into poor habits. A few years back, I used a multi-pocketed GCA nylon bag (one that Jerry Kluger had organized), and carried a full rain suit in Southern Pines in July when I typically only play six holes around the clubhouse! I had also amassed ~two dozen balls that I had picked up here and there, most of which I would never have played (one was pink). Such non-essentials, including winter golf gloves and yardage books from courses in other states, and I looked and felt like an overburdened Sherpa. Basically, I had lots of room in the bag so - stupidly and without thinking - filled it – doing nothing for my non-limber back or anything else. A great American once said, 'Stupid is as stupid does' and science teachers everywhere note that 'nature abhors a vacuum.' My overstuffed golf bag provided both those points.

The days of carrying everything but the kitchen sink are gone. I owe a lot of that to Todd as he embodies the points he makes in his Interview. I once played the Sheep Ranch with him and on the first tee, he noted, ‘I only have three balls, I trust that will be enough this afternoon.’ Less is more. The simpler you keep the sport, the more you’ll enjoy it.

Many others through their own trial and error have cottoned on to this practice. None of the local gang in Southern Pines including Chris Buie, Jay Mickle, and Jim Dodson carries 14 clubs. In fact, I tote the most with 9. I just corresponded with a gent in Seattle who wrote words to the effect, 'Why do I need a 6, 7 AND 8 iron? I am not so good that it matters.' Such sentiment is very encouraging as it signifies that being outdoors, getting exercise and having fun are top priorities. Should this enlightened attitude become even more prevalent, the game can’t be anything other than healthy.

This interview isn't meant to be a commercial for MacKenzie Bag; it's meant to be one man's take on the merits of walking and keeping the game pure. Todd doesn’t screech that there is only one way to enjoy the game. It’s his take, plain and simple, and it's a point of view that not only isn’t widely espoused but also is denigrated by many.

We delight in posting this Feature Interview today. Todd's words might expand your thinking on how to tackle the sport. His sentiments happen to resonate with me, as I strongly believed that the over-cluttered American version of the game has limited appeal. Need you even wonder why a sport has stagnated when it is too often reduced to zooming a cart between holes/homes?!

Hope you enjoy it.

Best,
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:26:35 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Daniel Jones

Re: Feature Interview with Todd Rohrer is posted
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Great interview, and timely given the encounter I had earlier today...

Just after lunch on this dreary day in Central Florida, I decided to pop over to my home course for 9 holes. After paying my green fee, I step outside the clubhouse and see a twosome setting up their cart. It wasn't immediately clear if they were on the tee or heading to the range first, so I asked. Turns out they were on the tee. After standing around for a minute or two while they moved in to their cart, I asked..

"You gents mind if I jump off the tee? I'll be gone before you know it."

The leader of the group says sure, so I grab my bag and start to head to the tee. To which I then hear...

"Oh wait, you're walking? Never mind then." ::)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:26:11 PM by Daniel Jones »

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
I have a MacKenzie bag which I bought almost 5 years ago now and I love it. I had used Sunday bags before but the MacKenzie is a very well made and designed bag which makes walking easier and more enjoyable. There are now a few new MacKenzie bags walking around my home course owned by fellow members. We also purchased one for my father-in-law last Christmas as a gift.

Thanks for the interview Ran!
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 07:16:16 AM »
Big fan - HUGE FAN - of the old pro at MacKenzie. If you know Todd (and Ran too - I suppose ;D) then you would agree the only thing that could make this interview better would be the ability to listen to it. Thanks for taking the time, gents!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
I love the single strap tally whack.  No iron clicking.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »
Ran,

Another great interview and an image of Chris Buie, to boot, which allows me to put  a face to someone whose writing I also always enjoy.  Is he cradling a wee whisky in that photo?!

I take the point that Todd R. makes when he says "……. and I have always thought that great architecture is absorbed more thoroughly when the course is walked; you just experience more of the design on foot, and engage the architect on a different level than in a gps-enabled cart."
I would add that from my experience the walking of the course as I play allows me to approach the next shot in a more leisurely and measured manner. I feel that I am given the time as I approach the ball to size up what needs to be done next ; the game is "slowed" down and it always feels less frenetic to me than when I, relatively infrequently, golf and use a motorised cart.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »
Ran,

Great interview and interesting perspective on the sensory experience of the "walking game".  I walk about 70% of my rounds with the balance being "whatever the group wants to do".  Get a guy to walk with you on a course he's played for 10 years (in a cart)...architecture becomes a natural conversation.
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:05:51 AM »
So you spend the equivalent of 50% more than the annual subs of many a local club in the UK to buy a smaller, lighter golf bag, are then urged to de-clutter it to make sure it remains light........and then you are urged to get someone else to carry it. I thought Americans didn't do irony ?  ;D

Niall

David Sucher

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »
 I am new to this great site (and very pleased to be here). I apologize in advance if my question has been covered many times.

So, as to golf bags, why do touring pros have such huge "staff" bags?
Of course they play at such a rare level that 14 clubs is truly useful. But do they really need weatherproofs and lunch and a dozen balls? Maybe they do carry more gear that I imagine. But a well-organized event is going to have volunteers happy to bring out necessities in the course of a round. No?
Or maybe the 14 clubs are in the bag but not much else?  So the caddy is not carrying all that much weight. And/or the large bag is mostly large there to carry advertising?
Anyway, just curious.
(I assume that if the pro him/herself was carrying the bag, it would be much smaller.)
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 04:56:09 PM by David Sucher »

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
Why do pros use huge staff bags with logos? Because they are being paid by the club manufacturer to use a huge staff bag with the logo of said club manufacturer on prominent display.

The better question is why anyone else would want to use such a bag.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:00:36 PM by Brian Hoover »

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
A MacKenzie bag BEGS you to take the game seriously!

Or does it? :D

Michael Graham

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »
A MacKenzie bag BEGS you to take the game seriously!

Or does it? :D

Eric,

Did you find dry land?

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
Michael - Indeed I did on a somewhat conservative line. No doubt one could easily land an airplane on that fairway!

Michael Graham

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
Michael - Indeed I did on a somewhat conservative line. No doubt one could easily land an airplane on that fairway!

I was so far right I just about needed binoculars to see the flag. I need to go back in summer when the course is playing firmer. It was the dead of winter when I played  and the course had suffered through a tough winter.

The Machrihanish Oystercatcher  is also one of the great logos in golf.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »

The Machrihanish Oystercatcher  is also one of the great logos in golf.

Cousin to the Puffin?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

William_G

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
I love the single strap tally whack.  No iron clicking.
Love my double strap Sun-Mountain Sunday bags

the iron clicks are produced by the one carrying the bag, not the bag itself, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Chris Buie

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
Is he cradling a wee whisky in that photo?! - Colin Macqueen

It was indeed a wee dram Colin. Everyone else looking healthful while I'm getting an early start on post-round activities. But, if I remember correctly, the Mac Brothers had a pretty good jolly up themselves.

Regarding their work, I got one with my last name on it rather than initials. Why? Because when my time is up it is going to my fabulous nephew.
Heirloom quality - that's what level these gems are on - and I am not exaggerating.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
I have the most beautiful leather MacKenzie walker bag, gifted to me as an honor by Rob Rigg and Todd.  It is something I would never have bought for myself, but that I carry proudly, and on which I am complimented most everywhere I go.

I say "most everywhere" because the bag declares me to have been the "Walking Golfer of the Year," and whenever people see this in the U.K. they react quizzically, as in, "What other kind would there be?," or else, perhaps, "This Yank must think he's special."  ::)   So it's sometimes a double-edged sword.  But it does pre-empt me from getting into a golf cart, even when my feet are a bit sore.

David Davis

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »
Nice interview Ran.

I walk 99.9% of all golf rounds each year. Hard to imagine doing anything else except when you are on tour and playing 23 courses in 17 days in the US and run into courses like Wade Hampton and Mountain Top. I'm sure there are those that walk them as well but doing it with sore feet when your all but exhausted before you start is probably not advisable even for me. So I relish those .1% of cart-ball rounds each year ha ha.

Being from Portland, Oregon on top of all that golf (120+ rounds a year) and walking, don't think I've not seen all those beautiful Mackenzie bags many of you proudly show off. They are works of art, even better, works of art from the place I call home and no-one over here in this entire country has one so very unique as well.

My concern is that the bags I like are similar to Tom's and made of leather, that you lay them on the ground and over here the ground is usually wet from rain. Leather and rain, even when it's treated don't bode too well. The rain here always wins and destroys everything so I can't help but hesitate to purchase such a thing of beauty that will ultimately be destroyed in no time.

I have a Titleist Stay Dry - ultra light stand bag that get's pushed in a Click-Gear cart at home most of the time except in the winter when I carry 7 to 9 clubs.

Any thoughts or convincing arguments of how your Mackenzie Bags survive wet wet wet conditions day in and day out then I'm all ears.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
A bag can be kept off wet ground by using a wooden-cross stand, as frequently used by golfers during yee olde period and these days by hickory golfers.

You can make one yourself, I have, it's dead easy and cheap too. A couple of pieces of wood, a drill, a nut & bolt and a piece of string or a leather bootlace.

Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
Nice interview Ran.

Any thoughts or convincing arguments of how your Mackenzie Bags survive wet wet wet conditions day in and day out then I'm all ears.

I played Senonack in a steady rain. By the end of the round the caddie replied that he felt like he was carrying a cow.  Fortunately, I had a second bag in the trunk as it took a couple of days for the bag to dry out. I love my bag but I purchased a second strap so my clubs would click.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Randy St John

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 11:41:40 AM »
 ???  Poor caddy....he should have looped at Hyannisport in the early 80's with double Burtons, cracked leather straps, long pants, and a dozen "extra" balls bouncing around just in case.  And no caddy ever dreamed of switching a bag out.  You sucked it up and were happy to get your $25.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »
???  Poor caddy....he should have looped at Hyannisport in the early 80's with double Burtons, cracked leather straps, long pants, and a dozen "extra" balls bouncing around just in case.  And no caddy ever dreamed of switching a bag out.  You sucked it up and were happy to get your $25.

It might be fictional but does anyone recall James Bond's caddy in 'Goldfinger', the caddy who carried a large bar of gold around in JB's golf bag, and those gold bars are pretty heavy.

Plus the giant golf bag in Caddyshack with the 'phone etc in it.

Atb
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:01:20 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »

My concern is that the bags I like are similar to Tom's and made of leather, that you lay them on the ground and over here the ground is usually wet from rain. Leather and rain, even when it's treated don't bode too well. The rain here always wins and destroys everything so I can't help but hesitate to purchase such a thing of beauty that will ultimately be destroyed in no time.

David:

I've played a fair amount in the rain the past two years, in the UK and France and New Zealand and Maine, though probably not as often as you do.  The bag itself has had no problems in the rain and still looks brand new.  The only problem I've had is with the strap - when it gets wet it bleeds.  I've had to throw out a couple of golf shirts where the right shoulder was a mess after my round.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »
Nice interview Ran.

I walk 99.9% of all golf rounds each year.

I bet you don't David. Do the maths. :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back